nVisionTEKBIM

Customer wants temporary access to my software key?!

I have a customer that uses Home Designer Pro and wants to modify a CA x12 file that I've worked on for him. He said the CA support rep told him I should give him temporary access to my Chief Architect Premier software key as a way to modify the drawings. 

I said I would never release my software key to anyone outside of my business, but he was pressuring me.

Has anyone else done such a thing for a customer?

• Like 1

No. Don't do it. I don't even think your software key will help him if he's using Designer Pro. I wouldn't give my key to anyone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nVisionTEKBIM said:

I have a customer that uses Home Designer Pro and wants to modify a CA x12 file that I've worked on for him. He said the CA support rep told him I should give him temporary access to my Chief Architect Premier software key as a way to modify the drawings. 

I said I would never release my software key to anyone outside of my business, but he was pressuring me.

Has anyone else done such a thing for a customer?

No , never heard of that and am dubious that a Chief Rep. would advise anyone to hand out their Software Key - I wouldn't do it myself.

You can set your Plans to be edited by HD Pro though if needed..... Check the box and resave the Plan.

image.thumb.png.963a0c70cfd4dc6ca18cd120cf93ed83.png

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

You can set your Plans to be edited by HD Pro though if needed..... Check the box and resave the Plan.

Yes, I already know that and have done that multiple times for this customer. He is wanting to save money by doing some tweaks himself, and is making this way more complicated that I've ever had to deal with before. 

I knew no one else would ever release their software key. It sounded like a ridiculous request, but I can't believe a CA support rep would suggest such a thing! I believe my customer telling the truth that CA told him that, though.

4 minutes ago, nVisionTEKBIM said:

Yes, I already know that and have done that multiple times for this customer. He is wanting to save money by doing some tweaks himself, and is making this way more complicated that I've ever had to deal with before. 

I knew no one else would ever release their software key. It sounded like a ridiculous request, but I can't believe a CA support rep would suggest such a thing! I believe my customer telling the truth that CA told him that, though.

Tell Them to Rent CA Premier for a month then if there is something they can't do in HD Pro.   - or pay you to do it....

Call CA Sales and see if it is even allowable perhaps....

M.

Just now, Kbird1 said:

Tell Them to Rent CA Premier for a month then if there is something they can't do in HD Pro.   - or pay you to do it....

M.

He's already done that before, so I honestly don't understand why I was asked for my software key. I've been so done with this project months ago, and just want it to end.

16 minutes ago, nVisionTEKBIM said:

He's already done that before, so I honestly don't understand why I was asked for my software key

I do ....they are Cheap :)  and don't want to pay you to do the work or rent Chief for another month for $299 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Kbird1 said:

I do ....they are Cheap :)  and don't want to pay you to do the work or rent Chief for another month for $299 

I think that's correct, although I can understand because of lack of work with this whole COVID thing. This customer is a homeowner that is trying to save money.

Thats a negative Ghost Rider.....

6 minutes ago, nVisionTEKBIM said:

I think that's correct, although I can understand because of lack of work with this whole COVID thing. This customer is a homeowner that is trying to save money.

Even if you did do it , to be a nice guy or whatever, and I don't advise it at all, you wouldn't have access to Chief while they did , and you'd have to control the License via your digital locker , so more of your time involved again...

M.

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Even if you did do it , to be a nice guy or whatever, and I don't advise it at all, you wouldn't have access to Chief while they did , and you'd have to control the License via your digital locker , so more of your time involved again...

M.

Yeah, that's like a friend, co-worker, or some stranger asking to drive your vehicle and acting like you are mean for saying no. I've had that happen many years ago and I get really annoyed by people that pressure you to do something that puts you at great risk.

Get a design agreement in place or kick him to the curb. The best job I ever had is the one I didn't get.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rwdozier said:

Get a design agreement in place or kick him to the curb. The best job I ever had is the one I didn't get.

Well, an agreement is always an obvious thing to have.

6 minutes ago, nVisionTEKBIM said:

Yeah, that's like a friend, co-worker, or some stranger asking to drive your vehicle and acting like you are mean for saying no. I've had that happen many years ago and I get really annoyed by people that pressure you to do something that puts you at great risk.

Stick to your guns , tell them you checked with Chief and it is NOT allowable - the Rep was wrong....   then add their ph.no# to the "straight to voicemail" list....

Lesson learned, first response should've been a very firm "absolutely not." 

I've logged 1000's of hours in chief, and wouldn't dream of letting a client come mess up the model with the thought that they were saving money. Not to mention they would have to pay me anyways since I wouldn't be able to work while my key is in use. 

I have let client's touch a model with the understanding that I may need to charge them to fix anything that they may mess up.

I don't know if their has been a recent culture shift or if it's just in the air, but 3 of my current clients have been trying to tell me how to build a house or explain process, or have more access to my work. 

I'll say that after a few gentle hints I've had to tell 2 of the 3 very firmly that they are overstepping. The projects are moving forward now as they should, sometimes you have to indicate that you are the professional and that they hired you for a reason...and they may respect you for it depending on how well you execute the approach.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Renerabbitt said:

Lesson learned, first response should've been a very firm "absolutely not." 

I've logged 1000's of hours in chief, and wouldn't dream of letting a client come mess up the model with the thought that they were saving money. I have let client's touch a model with the understanding that I may need to charge them to fix anything that they may mess up.

I don't know if their has been a recent culture shift or if it's just in the air, but 3 of my current clients have been trying to tell me how to build a house or explain process, or have more access to my work. 

I'll say that after a few gentle hints I've had to tell 2 of the 3 very firmly that they are overstepping. The projects are moving forward now as they should, sometimes you have to indicate that you are the professional and that they hired you for a reason...and they may respect you for it depending on how well you execute the approach.

I really appreciate you sharing this! This homeowner is the one project of mine which I realized a lot of things that I need to consider for future customers. It has been such a long project with tons of issues (stretching back to early 2019). This client has also told me how the house should be built (such as footings, framing, ect.) and it was so much I had to take my name off of the permit drawings.

1 minute ago, nVisionTEKBIM said:

I really appreciate you sharing this! This homeowner is the one project of mine which I realized a lot of things that I need to consider for future customers. It has been such a long project with tons of issues (stretching back to early 2019). This client has also told me how the house should be built (such as footings, framing, ect.) and it was so much I had to take my name off of the permit drawings.

It may help you a great deal to simply write down a set of standards. Even if it doesn't turn into a formal policy, it can train you to shift your mindset and approach, and to pre-empt you with the vernacular needed to tackle such issues moving forward.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Perhaps you could ask for temporary access to his checking account?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

Perhaps you could ask for temporary access to his checking account?

LOL...He might say yes if it's empty.

People love to equate their 9-5 wages to our hourly rates with no consideration for the fact that our line of work inherently has 10's of unbllable hours each week...Case in point, Dustin has probably burned an hour or two just considering this situation, if he were to bill the client for this time, the client might feel like renting Premier doesn't seem all that costly.

I actually can't think of a system of a approach where I wouldn't be charging the client more than $200 a month for all of the scheduling it would require to free up my license and shut down the computer.

• Upvote 1

This thread is an April Fool's joke, right?

2 hours ago, nVisionTEKBIM said:

He said the CA support rep told him I should give him temporary access to my Chief Architect Premier software key as a way to modify the drawings. 

This seems pretty suspect.  I really doubt a rep said that. The one thing I COULD see them saying if they were really pressed on the possible options would be something like “...well, I guess maybe he technically could give you temporary access to his license but...”

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, parkwest said:

This thread is an April Fool's joke, right?

It actually make's a lot of sense. Many of us are forced to switch to an entirely remote market, which is flooded with overseas competitors that offer up substandard practices. The Chief Facebook group frequently has posts from users that have clearly pirated the software and on the whole undervalue what we do. Client's are then being conditioned to accept these practices as the norm.
I was already setup for remote work and had developed my remote systems for years prior to this pandemic, yet I've never received so many calls requesting model fixes or simple consultations for work that has already been performed in Chief. People constantly leaving designers or draftspeople that are overselling their abilities at ridiculously low prices..

He said the CA support rep told him I should give him temporary access to my Chief Architect Premier software key as a way to modify the drawings. 

I strongly doubt this happened.  My guess is that he was confused about what he was told or he completely fabricated this conversation.  Either way, I would not recommend that you give him access to your license.  Treat this the same way you would if he asked you for the keys to your car or your house.  Once he has the key, it will be hard to get it back and he could use it whenever he wanted.

His options are pretty simple:  

- He can continue to work on the plans that you send him using HD Pro with it's limited feature set.

- He can rent or purchase Premier to work on the plans with the full feature list.

- He can pay you to work on the plans in Premier.  You are the experienced professional and this is what you do.  If he doesn't want to pay you for your work, then maybe he is not a very good customer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

...and this predicament is just one example of a business going through its natural growing pains. As a business matures it will naturally learn lessons and mature to the point that eventually eliminates these types of clients. Learning how to execute a firm 'no' in these cases can go a long, long way for the future of any business. Hang in there and it will pass but sometimes a firm no will stabilize a business.

6 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

...and this predicament is just one example of a business going through its natural growing pains. As a business matures it will naturally learn lessons and mature to the point that eventually eliminates these types of clients. Learning how to execute a firm 'no' in these cases can go a long, long way for the future of any business. Hang in there and it will pass but sometimes a firm no will stabilize a business.

I did make a firm no, but just curious if anyone else had such a ridiculous request from a customer.