Modify All Layer Sets

CAmichael240114

I have about 40 layer sets set-up for different plans and scales etc.

I have one plan layer set set-up how I would like all the other layer sets to be.

I want to update all layer sets to have the same item name, line weights, line style and fill colour.

Checking "modify all layer sets" in the LDO DBX only modifies the other layer sets if you add a new line item or change something, it does not change other line item in the other layer sets.

Without having to go thru all the layer sets to make the changes, is there a way to make the changes?

1 hour ago, CAmichael240114 said:

Checking "modify all layer sets" in the LDO DBX only modifies the other layer sets if you add a new line item or change something, it does not change other line item in the other layer sets.

Did you try changing something and setting it straight back to what it was , with Modify All checked?

M.

9 hours ago, CAmichael240114 said:

Thanks I'll give that a go, but a lot of time to change every thing 

You can copy any existing Layerset and Rename it to one of your others but that will bring issues of it's own eg what is displayed or not by default in each layerset.

It would also be a bit of work due to deleting the old Layersets , as Chief won't allow it , if they are "in use" in the plan either in Defaults or a Saved Plan View etc etc.

M.

When using the Modify All function, you must actually make a change to one of the options for 1 or more layers. For example, let's say I want to change the text layer to black on all sets, and the text layer is already black for the active layer set. You'd need to check 'modify all layers sets' and then change the text color from black to black. Make sense?

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

When using the Modify All function, you must actually make a change to one of the options for 1 or more layers. For example, let's say I want to change the text layer to black on all sets, and the text layer is already black for the active layer set. You'd need to check 'modify all layers sets' and then change the text color from black to black. Make sense?

Yep, that's what I was trying to say :)  maybe I wasn't clear enough....

Still gonna be a bunch of work for 40 Layersets, depends on the number of Layers I guess though :(

Perhaps Michael or Glenn might have a faster method up their sleeve for you though?

@glennw

@Alaskan_Son

M.

The only way I can see to accomplish the task, which is monumental with 40 layer sets no matter the technique, would be to go in to Tools>Layer Settings>Layer Set Management and delete all Layer Sets (which I did not know Chief would allow) except for the one currently in use (which cannot be deleted), make all the needed changes in that single Layer Set, then Copy and rename the copied Sets. 40 times? Ouch, but doable. Very interested in a technique that might work.

56 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

@CAmichael240114 Why wouldn't you setup different plan templates for diff scales etc. to simplify your workflow, instead of so many layer sets?...asking for a friend :D

My work flow set-up is back from when Anno sets were first introduced, I have every thing switching from one Anno/plan/layer set quickly and is set-up exactly as I need it.

I have thought of re-doing my std template using the plan sets control, not sure if you can set it up as good as the Anno/layer set option.

Question re plan views? Can you use two different dimension scales for the same floor plan, ie floor plan view with a 1:100 dimensions and a floor plan view with 1:50 dimensions, 

same floor plan two different dimension scales, normally used when zooming into/enlarging an area of the plan.

I will try Roberts and Micks idea first, it may work.

Thanks all for the help

22 minutes ago, CAmichael240114 said:

My work flow set-up is back from when Anno sets were first introduced, I have every thing switching from one Anno/plan/layer set quickly and is set-up exactly as I need it.

I have thought of re-doing my std template using the plan sets control, not sure if you can set it up as good as the Anno/layer set option.

Question re plan views? Can you use two different dimension scales for the same floor plan, ie floor plan view with a 1:100 dimensions and a floor plan view with 1:50 dimensions, 

same floor plan two different dimension scales, normally used when zooming into/enlarging an area of the plan.

I will try Roberts and Micks idea first, it may work.

Thanks all for the help

Saved Plan Views work far better than default(anno) sets. Switching works as it should with the added benefit of saved zoom, saved floor and saved references.
Are you referring to a dimension modifier or simply a dimension set with 2x arrow/text sizes? Yes you can have two different plan views with their own dimension defaults, 1 with a saved zoom. 

2 hours ago, CAmichael240114 said:

I am not quite sure of what you are trying to do here.

Are you trying to change the dimension text size in relation to zoom level?

But taking a stab in the dark...

Would the Minimum Display Size>Dimensions do what you want?

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

None of this makes any sense to me.  Why would anyone ever want all their Layer Sets to be the same?  I'm sure there's something that just needs to be clarified.

I was wondering the same thing but then thought it might be nice to have consistent Layer Sets, with all the same names/line weights/colors etc. then turn on/off Layers for various Anno or Plan View Sets. My Layer Sets have evolved over the years and continue to evolve as I add or delete Layers for various reasons so there's no reason to have any 'consistency' and would most likely be counter productive for my work flow but to each their own of course.

3 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

None of this makes any sense to me.  Why would anyone ever want all their Layer Sets to be the same?  I'm sure there's something that just needs to be clarified.

To explain.

When I say modify all layer sets I want to achieve consistency in all layer sets as follows:-

1. In the Layer Display Options DBX each line item under "Name" should have the same "Name" in ea layer set.

2. In the Layer Display Options DBX each line item under "Color" should have the same "Selected Color" for the same named item in ea layer set.

3. In the Layer Display Options DBX each line item under "Line Weight" should have the same "Selected Line Weight" for the same named item in ea layer set.

4. In the Layer Display Options DBX each line item under "Line Style" should have the same "Selected Line Style" for the same named item in ea layer set.

5. In the Layer Display Options DBX under "Text Style" ea layer set is set-up for the desired text style and font size for the plan scale. I use the same text font for all layer sets but with different font size for different scales.

Over the years adding and changing things in the LDO DBX some items with the same name in different layer sets have different assigned colors, line weights and line styles.

When I switch from say the floor plan to the plumbing plan to the drainage plan to the storm water plan to the site plan I want the name, color, line weight and line style to be the same.

Hope that explains it, cheers

To achieve this the easiest way would be to start a whole new template with only 1 layer set. Then copy and rename for each set.

However I don't see where it will get you as I have the walls dark and heavy in floor plan , but light and thin in the roof plan as an example.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CAmichael240114 said:

1. In the Layer Display Options DBX each line item under "Name" should have the same "Name" in ea layer set.

The ability to have the names different in different layer sets went away several versions back, so this one should be a non issue.  For the rest though, I think the quickest way would be to resort and modify one column at a time.  Start by switching to the layer set you want everything to match, check Modify All Layer Sets, and then...

15 minutes ago, CAmichael240114 said:

In the Layer Display Options DBX each line item under "Color" should have the same "Selected Color" for the same named item in ea layer set.

Click on the Color heading which should sort your layers by color.  Group select all of the top color, click to change the color and simply click Okay.  Do the same thing for the next group of items with the same color, and so on.

18 minutes ago, CAmichael240114 said:

In the Layer Display Options DBX each line item under "Line Weight" should have the same "Selected Line Weight" for the same named item in ea layer set.

Click on the Weight heading which should sort your layers by line weight.  Group select all of the top line weight, click to change the line weight, and simply enter the same line weight followed by the tab key.  Do the same thing for the next group of items with the same line weights, and so on.

20 minutes ago, CAmichael240114 said:

In the Layer Display Options DBX each line item under "Line Style" should have the same "Selected Line Style" for the same named item in ea layer set.

Click on the Line Style heading which should sort your layers by line style.  Group select all of the top line styles that match each other, click to change the line style, and simply re-select the same line style from the list.  Do the same thing for the next group of items with the same line styles, and so on.

It will be a  little slow, by I can't think of any method that would cover all your bases any quicker.

3 hours ago, glennw said:

I am not quite sure of what you are trying to do here.

Are you trying to change the dimension text size in relation to zoom level?

But taking a stab in the dark...

Would the Minimum Display Size>Dimensions do what you want?

("Question re plan views? Can you use two different dimension scales for the same floor plan, ie floor plan view with a 1:100 dimensions and a floor plan view with 1:50 dimensions, 

same floor plan two different dimension scales, normally used when zooming into/enlarging an area of the plan.")

Explanation:-

I have a std floor plan view of a dwelling which is to have half of the house altered. The plan showing the whole existing house has been dimensioned and labeled with 200mm high text and is sent to layout at a scale of 1:100, 200mm text size is what I use for the 1:100 scale.

For the part of the house to be altered I want to show only that part but enlarged it for clarity.

The enlarged altered area is then dimensioned and labeled with 100mm high text and is sent to layout at a scale of 1:50, 100mm text size is what I use for the 1:50 scale.

So you have one floor plan with two different dimension and text sizes

20 minutes ago, Kiwideziner said:

However I don't see where it will get you as I have the walls dark and heavy in floor plan , but light and thin in the roof plan as an example.

Agree as you have noted I have the walls light in the roof plan and any other specific cases where need be

3 minutes ago, CAmichael240114 said:

Agree as you have noted I have the walls light in the roof plan and any other specific cases where need be

Okay okay, now you're contradicting yourself.  You can't have different line weights in your roof plan layer set and...

37 minutes ago, CAmichael240114 said:

In the Layer Display Options DBX each line item under "Line Weight" should have the same "Selected Line Weight" for the same named item in ea layer set.

5 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Okay okay, now you're contradicting yourself.  You can't have different line weights in your roof plan layer set and...

Ok yes missed/forgot that one, I am just trying to get "most" of the layer sets back to some consistent order 

1 hour ago, CAmichael240114 said:

Over the years adding and changing things in the LDO DBX some items with the same name in different layer sets have different assigned colors, line weights and line styles.

I appreciate the effort and different work flows but for my work flow the above description is the natural evolution of Layer Sets as colors, line weights line styles change and serve different purposes within each Layer Set. If I had consistent line weights etc. it wouldn't last very long but work flows vary so more power to you.

2 hours ago, CAmichael240114 said:

Can you use two different dimension scales for the same floor plan, ie floor plan view with a 1:100 dimensions and a floor plan view with 1:50 dimensions,

For dims, you can do this in the layout on a Layout Box basis.

Send your plan to layout as normal at whatever scale you want, with a default dim text size of 200mm.

Open the layout box that contains the plan and change the Number Height.

If you send the same floor plan to layout at different scales, each Layout Box can have a different number height. 

Woke up with a strange thought - isn't the whole idea of having more than one Layer Set that they NOT be consistent? If they were 'consistent' it seems like just one would work for every drawing situation. Having just one Layer Set may not be a horrible starting approach if there's currently too many to keep track of or modify. Meaning start with one Layer Set, dialed in as preferred, then copy/modify as drawings dictate to develop a complete set of Layer/Anno Sets that work for an individual's work flow. Plan Views (not pushing plan views) can be developed in a similar fashion. Let us know how you make out Michael.