When is a Garage a Carport?

dshall

A Garage is considered a carport when it is open on 2 sides.

How open does a wall need to be open to be considered open?  Isn't it 70%

I am referring to CRC R309.2.  But it does not define what "open" is.

Does anybody know?

Seems to me that when a term isn't defined then the interpretation is up to the permitting authority.

I know this doesn't apply to you @dshall, but as a quick point of reference for others who stumble upon this topic, in Canada it is considered a garage if 60% of the perimeter is enclosed.

17 minutes ago, robdyck said:

in Canada it is considered a garage if 60% of the perimeter is enclosed.

This was an interesting statement to me considering what you said prior about it being up to the individual permitting authorities, which is exactly what I was going to say (City/County, etc.)..... but your comment seems to say that in Canada there is a national code speaking to this issue?

24 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

This was an interesting statement to me considering what you said prior about it being up to the individual permitting authorities, which is exactly what I was going to say (City/County, etc.)..... but your comment seems to say that in Canada there is a national code speaking to this issue?

My comment about the permitting authority was specifically to dshall's question of not having clearly defined parameters. It's a little less gray in Canada.

The NBC code reference is:

image.thumb.png.e219fff3de76fe5aba9d1f444b632ffd.png

36 minutes ago, dshall said:

yes,

Do your code officials provide preliminary guidance for 'gray areas' in a reasonable time frame? In a situation like that, I'd contact the officials and ask for at least a preliminary code review of the project in order to ensure compliance. 

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

My comment about the permitting authority was specifically to dshall's question of not having clearly defined parameters. It's a little less gray in Canada.

The NBC code reference is:

image.thumb.png.e219fff3de76fe5aba9d1f444b632ffd.png

Well, all be... that makes it pretty clear.  Interesting coming from National though... at least in how I would consider it really only mattering from a 'planning' point of view which is definitely relegated to individual jurisdictions.

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

Do your code officials provide preliminary guidance for 'gray areas' in a reasonable time frame? In a situation like that, I'd contact the officials and ask for at least a preliminary code review of the project in order to ensure compliance. 

Yes,  I have calls and emails into the city and the private plan review service,  chief talk,  the president,  my Mom and my 6 year old grand daughter.  

Nobody is returning my call.....  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dshall said:

We're here for you! But without the authority of a planning official, or a mother! If I had to submit that project without guidance, I'd probably try to come up with some sort of term for those corner wall segments other than walls. Like Panels, or Screening, or something along those lines. Are those wall segments structurally necessary, or just architectural? !4' wide opening seems almost awkward...maybe you can advise your client that the design should be fully open on 2 sides, or they run the risk of not being approved. And then design some 'columns' (built with walls) that are 24" wide and maybe 1' deep?...Just spitballin' here.

21 minutes ago, dshall said:

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Just spitballin' here.

The way I usually deal with something like this is to just submit it and let them tell me what they need.  They will always (99.8% of the time) find something to kick it back for a revision anyway.  

I wouldn't of guessed this

50% on each side. Planning need to approve also. 
Respectfully,
Isam Hasenin, P.E., CBO
President
True North Compliance Services, Inc.
Solana Beach | Alhambra | Redwood City
P: (626) 660-6292
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, dshall said:

A Garage is considered a carport when it is open on 2 sides.

How open does a wall need to be open to be considered open?  Isn't it 70%

I am referring to CRC R309.2.  But it does not define what "open" is.

Does anybody know?

70% 0f the total exterior wall space needs to be open, but I find that the plan checker can make anything up.

5 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

@dshallI feel a little disappointed.  The opening line drew me in and now I'm waiting for a punchline.  WTH!!?

I feel like someone interrupted my sneeze. 

Oh, you'll love this one:

Two carports were walking down the street...