Manually cut out the floor for the stair below

stevenyhof

I am creating a test Bi-Level home to learn about the dropped floor and the stairs. I have some of the things in place and looking good.

When I use Auto Stairwell it cuts the floor and puts a railing around it. I just need a hole or jog in the floor to allow space for the stairs from the basement.

I have a 1.5" fir wall on the left for the one side and no wall at the moment on the right.

I know I seen a video in the past several week on this, but maybe it was Auto Stairwell.

Thank you

stairs cutout.jpg

You could do it with the auto-stairwell if you go to the basement floor level click on the stairs and use that tool... also you can manually place railings and/or walls and set the enclosed room (where your stairs are) or any other enclosed space to be 'Open Below' room type.

• Upvote 1

Yes, learn all the features of OPEN BELOW as room type, including full familiarity with every aspect of its specification.  Floor elevation, ceiling height, etc.

AUTO STAIRWELL is just Chief creating one automatically based on the staircase footprint.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm just uploading my progress.

• The Open Below worked.
  • I figure I need to work in Layouts to hide the Open Below dashed lines.
  • I have a funny 2x extruding up that I just cannot make go away.

Thoughts?

Thank you

2020-07-14_195636.jpg2020-07-14_195814.jpg2020-07-14_195647.jpg2020-07-14_200139.jpg2020-07-14_200237.jpg

15 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

I have a funny 2x extruding up that I just cannot make go away.

There's been quite a few posts come up on this happening.  @robdyck I know has commented on this behavior and may have a solution...or at least offer a consoling gripe about it too.  As @glennw said though... may need to post the plan.

17 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

I figure I need to work in Layouts to hide the Open Below dashed lines.

2020-07-14_200139.jpg

The Open Below "dashed lines" are the actual invisible walls defining the space. By default those reside on the "Walls, Invisible" layer. If you don't want to see them, uncheck "Display" of that layer.

1338953869_ScreenShot2020-07-15at1_45_54PM.thumb.png.0a3f0532340f3325204c8372f53fda08.png

1 minute ago, Chrisb222 said:

The Open Below "dashed lines" are the actual invisible walls defining the space. By default those reside on the "Walls, Invisible" layer. If you don't want to see them, uncheck "Display" of that layer.

1338953869_ScreenShot2020-07-15at1_45_54PM.thumb.png.0a3f0532340f3325204c8372f53fda08.png

Perfect! was just thinking about that. And I would want to turn them off for printing only

7 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

And I would want to turn them off for printing only

This is where Saved Plan Views can be your friend.
A Saved Plan View called 'Working Plan' can have things like those invisible walls showing and then you can have a Saved Plan View called 'Floor Plan' or 'Plan_Layout' etc... that has the layers all preset so things like invisible walls do not show.  That way you don't have to remember all the different layers you want to have on or off.

38 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Perfect! was just thinking about that. And I would want to turn them off for printing only

I have a "Working Plan View" that displays all kinds of stuff I don't want on my docs, and  "___ Floor ConDocs" "Foundation ConDocs" "Basement ConDocs" etc plan views that appear the way I want on the finished docs.

That way I don't have to turn layers on and off, just switch out plan views.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

I have a "Working Plan View" that displays all kinds of stuff I don't want on my docs, and  "___ Floor ConDocs" "Foundation ConDocs" "Basement ConDocs" etc plan views that appear the way I want on the finished docs.

That way I don't have to turn layers on and off, just switch out plan views.

Love it!! I need to learn about the layers in Chief which I know from what I seen so far is vary versatile. Thank you!