Dollhouse View troubles

Michael_Gia

So I like to show a dollhouse view as seen below. (plan also attached).

Typically I'll change out the 2x4 main layer to a Black Color in the wall definition so it shows up nicely for clients.

Then I'll use the Cross-Section slider to a height below the door frames so the door openings show clearer. (I add arced door-swing lines in layout after)

The strange thing is the fill on some walls appear as particle board (red oval indicators in photo).  Sometimes I can correct some of them to appear black

by reversing the direction of the wall (<> tool).  This does not fix all walls though.

What am I doing wrong?

The photo below is from a saved camera view on the first floor called "Dollhouse", standard render.

It's the same issue even when doing Water-Color with Line Drawing, which I also like to use a lot.

312841201_Screenshot2020-07-1414_12_31.thumb.png.3cc768717e466ff100ddd2e3c96647fa.png

Here is the plan in X12...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bmud0ahadletw5/E-6 Test Plan.plan?dl=0

Thanks in advance.

@Michael_Gia No solution for you though I know the problem. Since framing is not built, nor can it be without being designated as fir framing, the material you have set is in plane with your subfloor and walls. When two materials are in plane with each other they fight to occupy the visual space depending on the camera angle. Somehow you need to force these materials into a different coordinate space to distinguish them. No idea how at first thought.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dermot said:

You are looking at the floor platform (sub floor actually).

If you turn off the "Walls, Normal" layer, and move your camera it will make more sense. 

When I turn off the "walls normal" layer then all of the walls go from black to sub-floor pattern.

10 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

@Michael_Gia No solution for you though I know the problem. Since framing is not built, nor can it be without being designated as fir framing, the material you have set is in plane with your subfloor and walls. When two materials are in plane with each other they fight to occupy the visual space depending on the camera angle. Somehow you need to force these materials into a different coordinate space to distinguish them. No idea how at first thought.

Ok great, so I went to the "floor/ceiling structure" defaults and changed my plywood to a black colour and that fixed it.

797433910_Screenshot2020-07-1415_16_04.thumb.png.1cca4a5ef3aa6a3a3f43ff889db3b7e2.png

by the way is there a more intelligent way to show door swing openings other than drawing little arcs in layout view?

Thanks!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Ok great, so I went to the "floor/ceiling structure" defaults and changed my plywood to a black colour and that fixed it.

797433910_Screenshot2020-07-1415_16_04.thumb.png.1cca4a5ef3aa6a3a3f43ff889db3b7e2.png

by the way is there a more intelligent way to show door swing openings other than drawing little arcs in layout view?

Thanks!

You could send a plan view to layout and overlay so at least it's automated...I do something similar for my site plans

Ok, I found a better way to show Room Labels and Door indicators.

I created a Saved Plan View with only the layers,

Walls normal,

Rooms interior dimensions,

Doors

Opening Indicators

Room labels.

I then overplayed this on top of the Water-Color in Layout.

Looks good and easy.

2121650173_Screenshot2020-07-1415_30_58.thumb.png.b5fa6fd6765e0dfc572656845807d8a5.png

9 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Michael, I copied your wall-type to one with a black and "blend with texture" checked. I then framed some of the problem walls using the new wall-type. Seems to work OK for this type of view.

E-6 Test Plan.plan

Where is the "blend with texture"?

Is it in the Wall Type definition?  If so, where?

I think changing the subfloor material is the easiest solution to get the look you want.

FYI, "opening indicators" don't actually display in plan views.  The door swing will always display with the door itself.

Also, you might want to adjust your sliding doors so that the plan view display matches the 3D model.  You can do this by adjusting the plan view display to drag the door closed or by showing the doors as open in the 3D view.

• Upvote 1

Open one of the walls I changed and you will see it under the "texture" tab for "define material." I used the existing interior-4 wall, copied it to an interior-4 black, went to the fir 16" OC texture for that wall, changed the pattern material color to black, and then to the texture tab and checked "blend with texture." Can do it in half the time it took to type this. One down side is the studs will show the blended black color in any framing view.