Issue with foundation wall height

stevenyhof

I have messed with this split level floor thing for several hours trying to get my heights correct, and found I can get my floor and ceilings correct, but the foundation wall remains low by 2-5/8" (2.625).

1. I am only guessing, but I set up my defaults to use i-joist at 11-7/8" - I drew several test homes with these settings in place and all worked to the right heights.
  2. so I decided to learn about split levels - small Bilevel homes that I draw often here in West Mi on 6" wide by 3'6" high foundation walls - with sill plate, 3'7-1/2".
  3. I used the hidden wall per some videos I watched and all seems fine after I adjust my floor joist and heights. - note that the bottom entry floor is 2x8 joist. (I also tested with 2x10, but that did not help and fix the foundation height issue.
  4. Side note - for the past 50+ years, the conc floors in MI are poured 1-1/2" over the footings, with the remain 2-1/2" below the top of the footing. In Chief this is not possible so I made my floor 1.5 and will deal with my sections later. The reason is because the 1-1/2" sill plate offsets the 1-1/2" over the footing leaving an 8'0" rough ceiling. Please don't tell me about it's issues or that it is wrong as methods of building are different all over the world - Thank you!
  5. So back to line 1. - Question: Is there something left over in the "global" values from the default 11-7/8" joist, now being changed to 9-1/4" lumber, leaving a 2-5/8" discrepancy in the foundation wall? Where is this 2-5/8" coming from?
  6. Note, I am able to go around the foundation and lift the top of the foundation wall into the right position, but that seems like the wrong way to fix this.

I will upload my plan for anyone wanting to look into this.

Thank you

SND_D_Residential Template.zip

Ok, so I deleted the foundation, and then deleted the room divider. Then I added the room divider back and the floor values were still in place so accepted that and it made the foundation stem wall height correctly :) - Now I am adjusting the lower floor height.

I got it!

I was trying to put a point to point and manual dimension on the foundation, but when I drag the dim to the right it changes to another point- whatever! I'm trying real hard not to bank my head against a wall. 

got it.jpg

9 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I got it!

I was trying to put a point to point and manual dimension on the foundation, but when I drag the dim to the right it changes to another point- whatever! I'm trying real hard not to bank my head against a wall. 

got it.jpg

Have you watched the Chief videos? You may pick up a good tip or two...

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/9917/focus-creating-a-split-level-home.html

Just now, SNestor said:

Have you watched the Chief videos? You may pick up a good tip or two...

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/9917/focus-creating-a-split-level-home.html

I have watched them, and several several times - but as I do things I forget the details. 

I like to work through things until I find the process, and then documents that process so I can repeat it. But I am continually going back to revisit the videos.

This is something that I have not seen covered specifically and I was having a hard time making what I did see apply the same way - but I'm getting it.

4 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I have watched them, and several several times - but as I do things I forget the details. 

I like to work through things until I find the process, and then documents that process so I can repeat it. But I am continually going back to revisit the videos.

This is something that I have not seen covered specifically and I was having a hard time making what I did see apply the same way - but I'm getting it.

@stevenyhof - good for you.  Yes - split level homes in Chief can make a person crazy.  They are complex.  And - many of the Chief videos only skim the surface and never seem to dive into potential complexities. 

And right now, even though I am following the same process, I am getting different results. Last basement I drew gave me more options, and now I only have 2. So backing up and trying to get some solid defaults in place and follow my steps and see where I'm doing something different.

I'm getting this figured out...

1. On the main floor I am cutting the Foyer with a Divider Wall
  2. Then change the floor to Foyer and its height to -4'6
  3. Then I added a second Divider Wall where the stairs are placed and made that Open Below
  4. So I have a Foyer, an Open space and then my main floor 0 height
  5. Go to level 0 - Put my stairs in from the basement to the Foyer
  6. Go to level 1 - Put my stairs in from the foyer to the main floor
  7. Add my halfwalls - no funny results this time with the walls.

Now I am confident that this can be done and quickly :)

nice.jpgn2.thumb.jpg.934c463ef99188d115e863d2d1786e5b.jpg