Centerline tool question

PMMully

If you only could see my experimentation...like a mad scientist...

The permutations are many.... 1/4 scale, 1/2 scale... etc.,. I did not ask my question correctly. My question is if there was a global policy for behavior for such as this. For example, I can change the default for 1/4 to "centers", but it looks like I would have to change the 1/2 scale seperately. From what I can tell, the CL tool will not function unless you set the default, which is counter to minimzing default changes just to get a tool to position properly.

As I learn the details it will flush out, and I suppose one does not really change scales often, or framing defaults, so probably not an issue. A table of defaults on which defaults cascade, or don't would be very helpful for a newbie.

You're going to have to show us what you mean. I use this tool a ton and there are no defaults that I need to change. Now, having said that...if you don't use it a lot, you may notice that when you pull a string it will find all sorts of things, you need to find the center of the object you are tying to dimension and then snap from there.

image.thumb.png.04e82aa341e6dc0508b171cfd760e0a9.png

I heard the "default change" piece here. in X12 it works exactly as the video says. The CL tool did not produce until I hit the default as it states. I posted to validate if there was something I was missing.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/12/manual-dimension-tools.html?playlist=92

I attached a pic of some experimentation for giggles just to let 'yall know I am not lazy :-) 

Untitled 3.pdf

The help matches the video I posted very closely.  "Cabinet, fixture and appliance, furniture, and wall opening centers are only located as a dimension line is drawn when Centers is selected for these object types. See Locate Objects Panel." - this is consistent with the video.

Maybe I missed it in the video, but the help points how to mark an extension line with the C/L aspect without all that which is what I was looking for. Thank you for all for the help, this case is now closed :-).

Great forum :-)

Hi Joey,

No worries. I was talking about the C/L dimension tool and the particulars on how to use it via defaults and or extension lines. This was not about the object centering tool. But I appreciate your willingness and diligence in getting it answered :-). 

I started with SmartDraw, actually liked it quite a bit, but I outgrew it fast. That is fine for doing simple stuff. Then I moved to CA HD Pro for about 10 days, then moved to CA Premier about a week ago. So I am caught between a rock and a hard place regarding the learning curve, and getting things out the door. But so far the clients seem to be happy. I understand the concepts well, but my learning curve regarding proficiency has been fairly steep, many ways and parameters to learn. But, I am getting faster every day thanks to guys like you that are on this forum.