Virtual Reality on Oculus Rift - Almost Works

BelmontArchitect

I am running X12 with Oculus Rift and Steam VR

When I "Toggle Virtual Reality", the camera view on my PC does show the dual image, and head tracking works.  Unfortunately, nothing shows up on my Oculus Headset.

Is it a graphics card issue ?  I have the Radeon RX 480 graphics card with the latest driver.

Thanks

Hi! I am fairly confident that your problem isn't related to the graphics card. The 480 should be just fine. Often times when Chief is working fine but the headset isn't working as expected, it usually has to do with setup. Due to the way that VR is implemented in Chief, you will need to make sure you have both the Oculus software and Steam. Make sure that VR setup is run in both and your room limits are set (which is done in setup). Have a look at the section "Install Steam and SteamVR" in our article Requirements for Virtual Reality in Chief Architect. Let me know if this works for you or not and we can see what else it could be. Sorry for the troubles. Have a good day.

Hi Shawn, I've started up Steam VR and Oculus in multiple combinations.  Oculus first and then Steam VR.  Steam VR first which starts up Oculus, etc.  I've also setup the room limits via Guardian as well.  My Steam VR home and other apps shows up fine, but as soon as I enable VR on Chief Architect, my viewport goes blank.  But it's so close to working since I can see it on my monitor and I can use the controllers to teleport to different locations in my house.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I am having similar problems.  I get "No Virtual Reality Headset Connected", but I do have it connected and it is working with the free Oculus tutorial stuff.  I have also tried starting the Oculus and Steam softwares in various combinations.

Chief V12.  GeoForce RTX 2060 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2

Virtual Reality Headset Not Connected.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi @nematode, unfortunately my rift setup never worked for me.  I did pre-order the Quest 2, but not sure if the quest series is supported.

Hi @ShawnCannata, do you know if Quest 1 is supported ?  I guess we'll have to find out about Quest 2 once it comes out.  Support for the Quest series would be a game changer because of the price point.

Thanks, 

-- John

Thanks, Shawn.

I guess supporting the Quest natively (untethered) would require a complete rewrite.  Unless someone comes out with a viewer on the Quest that can render DWG or DXF models.  Or if Chief Architect comes out with a viewer that can render .plan files.

This is for the Go and doesn't seem to accept model files, but something like this on the Quest would be good.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/go/1032865413439300/?locale=en_US

11 minutes ago, BelmontArchitect said:

I guess supporting the Quest natively (untethered) would require a complete rewrite.  Unless someone comes out with a viewer on the Quest that can render DWG or DXF models.

That is all correct. We always listen to what people suggest, want, and need to be successful, so I will take along with me your thoughts. Thank you!

This isn't exactly what you are looking for with the Oculus, but we do have an alternative right now with our Mobile 3D Viewer which allows you to view the plan with VR in camera locations and in AR. And not to be biased but the AR in that is sick. I didn't do it, but I love it.

• Upvote 1

Data point: I managed to get a Quest to work with a PC running CA 12 via a Link cable. But the result was way too choppy to use. I'm running a new laptop with an i7-10th gen, 16gb RAM, NVidia Geforce GTX 1650 (and Intel UHD integrated card). The PC passed the SteamVR performance test, landing right on the yellow-green border between "capable" and "recommended." The PC also meets or exceeds min requirements for both AC and for Oculus Quest and Rift S. I made sure to install all Windows updates, to update the graphics drivers and to tweak settings so the GTX was doing the heavy lifting with anything VR related. I wasn't using an Oculus brand cable but I tried two new cables that both came well recommended. Oh, and I shut off all the lighting/shadowing/reflection options in CA.

Any advice?

• 4 weeks later...

I have now tested this with a desktop and I'm still getting jittery / choppy / shaky motion (PCVR: Intel Core i7-9700K/1TB SSD/16GB RAM/RTX 2060/Win 10; Oculus Quest 2 via datalink cable). I see others have had this problem as well. Is it possible to achieve smooth motion with CA's VR? If so, it would be helpful to know under what conditions smooth motion was achieved (ie CA version, OS version, CPU, GPU, RAM and brand/model of headset). FWIW, the jittery motion was less bad with the 2060 vs the 1650 but still too pronounced to use.

Thanks.

@nematode   i am having the a similar issue on my quest 2 with it being choppy/jittery.  granted, my gpu and cpu are not up to your specs, but i am able to enter the CA vr environment.  i am not, however, able to teleport.  i would love to hear if anyone has any breakthroughs on this issue.

@Design20 Thanks for the input. Teleporting has never been a problem for me using the thumbstick on the Q1 or Q2. It's true that the 2060 is more powerful but both our GPUs meet min specs for this application as far as I know which is why it would be helpful to hear from anyone who has achieved fluid motion to compare notes and do some troubleshooting.

• 4 months later...

Hi there, i am unable to teleport either, the controls seem to work to move the model around. one time i pressed a bunch of buttons or keyboard keys (maybe the mouse) accidentally and it started working but i have not been able to get it to work since. I see the teleport lines and a landing spot but the functionality does not occur when pressing any of the buttons on the controllers. Is there a set of instructions for this mode anywhere, the documentation is just "use this thing for vr mode" no control binding info etc.
Any insight greatly appreciated! thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having VR problems similar to BelmontArchitect.  I've connected an Oculus Quest 2 via Oculus Link using Steam VR.  When I toggle VR in Chief Architect my PC (AlienWare Aurora R10) screen shows correct VR motion, but the goggles show black except for the guardian.  I've updated all the drivers, swapped cables and ports on my PC and done just about everything I've seen on the Web.  Does anyone know if this is an Oculus, Oculus Link, Steam VR or Chief Architect problem?

• 1 year later...

Does Chief Architect X12 work in VR with the Oculus Quest 2? What graphics cards are necessary? I have a Dell laptop with Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7600U CPU @ 2.80GHz   2.90 GHz and graphics card Intel HD Graphics 620. I'm guessing the graphics card is not sufficiant. If it isn't, can I upgrade to a card that will work, and if so, which card?

Thanks in advance.