Object movement with arrow key blocked but no obvious reason

Christina_Girerd

I have noticed this for a long time, but usually been too busy to ask about it.  Anyone know why the movement of an object, such as a text box, using the "select" then tap the "down arrow" on the keyboard method would not work when they are no obvious items in its path?

For months, I have noticed this issue, particularly in my Layout file when I'm adjusting text boxes.  In the example below, I did a wide selection of the area to show that there are no other objects immediately below the text items circled in red.  I can select and use the up arrow and both those text boxes move.  Yet not for the down arrow in this instance.  I like to use the keyboard arrows for small movements because it is precise and quicker than opening the Transform dbx to move it a specific amount.  Another "oddity" is that I can move the left text box (Bldg Coverage) with the left arrow key, but then I can't move it back with the right.  As if it hit some invisible buffer, though I'm just moving it back to where it was.  I don't know if this is an issue with the latest release, but I don't remember having so many issues with the arrow keys in the past.

Is there any key I can press while using the arrow keys that while override whatever Chief thinks the object is bumping against?  I tried Ctrl, Alt, and a few others but didn't find anything.  Or suggestions about why the arrow keys are behaving as if blocked?

2020 07 11 Arrow Down not working.JPG

43 minutes ago, Christina_Girerd said:

So the text that I circled above, will go down about 4 "down arrow clicks" now, but then stops.  At least when I just tried it. 

Seems fine here.  Low batteries in your keyboard maybe ?

Edited by Chopsaw
Sorry I forgot that I had Bumping turned off. Same results as Eric here.

Interesting clip Eric, thanks.  How do you get those "ghost items" to be colored and show like that?  Are those items from other pages that Michael was referring to?  After Michael's comment, I deleted all the other pages, and then the movement worked just fine.  Thanks.  I'll put in a bug report.

I put in the report and mentioned the comments.

When I drag the boxes down, I don't get anything else colored. 

I also tried this in a generic blank layout (one of Chiefs), putting a text box on one page and another lower down on a second page, but at least in that very quick test, could not get it to reproduce.