Plan Views method of Import without Export

Christina_Girerd

I just spent about 15 minutes trying to figure out how to get my typical saved Plan Views into a 10 year old plan.  I didn't immediately look at Help, because I assumed that I could export them from a newer plan, and pull them into the old plan like we do for layer sets, etc.  After all, I saw "Import Plan Views" in the file menu.  But when I opened the plan that had the Plan Views I wanted to export, I discovered there was no "Export Plan Views."  Then I thought maybe I had to export default sets, and got more confused from there.   I briefly looked on the forum and didn't see anything, then finally went to the Help menu.  I realize it is my bad for not looking at the Help file sooner, as then I understood there is no export for Plan Views, only import.  Though even when first looking at the Help topic for Plan Views, my preconceived ideas had me quickly scanning for the info on "Export" and wondering why it only had info on "Import" until finally I read it and understood the process.

The reason I bring this up is that I am wondering about this interface and am curious what others think.  This model for importing Plan Views skips the whole export first process which requires opening up another plan to export from before you can import.  So that saves time.  Yet for a lot of things, we still have the Export / Import model.  The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of being able to directly import from any file without having to have exported it first.  One possible minor drawback is that I expected I would be able to export a small data file of my typical Plan Views that I could keep in my "Generic Project" folder (like a .cadefs file) such that I could have them to import whenever I need to or easily share with someone without having to give them a whole plan file.  However I realize with this new import only method, I just need to import them directly from my generic plan file.  I notice that Default Settings don't have an Export option either.  Hmmm....