Laptop Recommendations

Mableandpearl

From what I gather at this point, a decent gaming laptop using I7 processor and decent graphics is all you need.  I ran an HP Pavilion laptop without problems until last year.  16GB ram and a good M2 SSD make a lot of difference.  Just make sure the laptop either has an M2 installed or an M2.2280 slot to upgrade.  I took a very cheap laptop for my grandson (less than $200), upgraded memory to 16GB and added a M2 SSD to it.  When done you'd think I bought a much more expensive machine. 

When I talked to tech support a few months ago I was told that all the ray tracing is done in software and doesn't make use of new graphics chips that perform hardware raytracing.  I upgraded to an MSI laptop using an Nvidia RTX2070 to give me a few years of future proofing as I tend to keep one for years.  FWIW, my desktop is 11 years old using a W3520 processor and a GTX770 for graphics. It does the same job just taking longer to finish.

2 hours ago, Mableandpearl said:

Wow that's great! I didn't realize I could save that much money!

Just be careful. You still have to add in the $ for the memory and M2 SSD and find a laptop that you can upgrade (assuming you don't order one already upgraded). Have you considered a used one? Might get a better machine for less that way; risky, I know.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:58 AM, Mableandpearl said:

Oh yeah a used gaming one could be ideal then.thank you 

Probably better to up your budget slightly ($1200) and get a decent Laptop with a Warranty , than buy someone else's problems....

eg this is available at B&H (or Costco) for $1199 , has 16GB ram and the latest 10th gen chipset and 512GB NVME and seems to have good reviews. The 1660Ti is about as low as I would go for some future proofing....

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1560812-REG/msi_gl75_leopard_10sdk_228_i7_10750h.html/reviews

Costco model is slightly different with a 256GB NVME + 1TB 5400rpm HD  ( I'd go with the B&H model and add HDD if I needed it later)

https://www.costco.com/msi-gl75-leopard-gaming-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i7-10750h---geforce-gtx-1660ti---144hz-1080p-display.product.100579343.html

14 hours ago, MarkMc said:

If PBR is something you use X13 is likely to make use of RTX video cards.

I agree a 2060 or 2070 RTX would be better but I don't think they are in the Budget... especially with a 512GB NVME and 16GB Ram , even in the US. 

Might depend on your Google Fu and what you are willing to lose... eg the Intel CPU,  some of the Ryzen Laptops are cheaper for sure... 

M.

From that link Mark provided, looks like it takes about $1400 to get one with a 17.3" (diag.) screen, which is IMHO the min needed for Chief work.

https://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-high-performance-systems-nh772-nh77ddw-17-3-fhd-144hz-i7-10875h-rtx-2060.html?___SID=U

I see them with specs like this barely used for about $1,000 on Craigslist in the big Chicagoland market where we are currently camped.

I got one like this but with an older gen GTX card, from one of the forum members here.  Great machine.  Asus.

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

From that link Mark provided, looks like it takes about $1400 to get one with a 17.3" (diag.) screen, which is IMHO the min needed for Chief work.

Yep , I think 17" is needed but then I wear Glasses , so a 15" maybe fine for some , but more screen real estate is better and these days I also recommend 16GB Ram.

I did look at Xotic and HID before I recommended early.

So at $1000 the choices will be limited.....  at $1500 it open the gate to much better machines and thus more future proofing

I've used 15's and currently a 17, was using a 13 in for field measures and travel. I might likely go to a 15 next since I use a 27 and a 24 attached at the office and would save about 1/2 lb. While I already have an Everki backpack to fit 17 the bag I use for the 13 fits a 15 and it also a lot lighter. Since I want external monitors I look at ports (the Evoc machines). Would be swell if one of the 13" two in ones converted to a 17 :rolleyes: