Question about Library vs Toolbar

Rpadge

I saw in a post where a user was creating door symbols to use from his user library. What is the benefit of doing that as opposed to using the door tool? Are most users using the library or are you using the door tool?  Just curious, I want to make sure I am not missing any advantages, one way or the other.

The super-users may have a better input on this, but I believe the potential advantage is the same as using wall types from the library vs. the wall tool... it just gives you a broader range of different door types... (or wall types.. etc)... without having to open the door tool (wall tool, etc) to select a different default door type.

If you are using the door tools, you can modify your door defaults to be whatever you want but you are still limited to having only one default for each type of door.  For example, you can only have one default exterior hinged door.  So what if almost every house you design uses a different door between the garage and the house?  Rather than change your default exterior door, you are probably better off getting it from the library.  And if almost every house you design uses the same door in the garage, you could then setup a library toolbar button so that you don't have to go find it every time.

I made some videos on this a while back, but one other major advantage is that you can quickly, easily, and very deliberately choose some very specific door sizes and types so that you're sure to be selecting from the doors you or your builder actually want to be using.  Imagine for example you're working for a builder who only uses a very specific door company/style for each door, only uses 2/4, 2/6, and 3/0 hinged doors.  By adding to and pulling from the library, placing the appropriate doors in the appropriate locations can be done with a single click...select a 2/4 door for bathrooms, select a 2/6 door for bedrooms, etc. 

In addition, it can be very quick to place doors of specific sizes this way if you ever have to trace imported DWG or DXF files.  Instead of a place-adjust-reposition operation it can become a single click operation placing a 3/0 bifold right where you want it.