Walls in User Library- Adds New Wall Type and material Change.

wjmdes

I have been creating "Wall Definitions" for my user library because I want to be able to use the Description Field in the Wall Specification dbx (long descriptions for legend) 

This is my wall in the User Libray:

1126348365_wallissue1.thumb.JPG.3fc11cdc9631bfa47d7a884f5842a07d.JPG

However, when I try to use these walls I get a few issues

• It creates a new wall type.  This makes the wall schedule a nightmare to clean up.
  • It changes materials of the wall

See below

1737856981_wallissue2.thumb.JPG.bb02ad003fd5dd0ff6a724c5dfeb1f03.JPG

The goal here was to simplify, but it seems to be making this more complex and difficult.  Any thoughts on what might be causing this.

4 minutes ago, solver said:

Could you export a problem wall definition, and attach it and your default plan?

How do I export just one wall definition?

If I put it in the plan it is wrong.  But in the library it is good.

4 hours ago, wjmdes said:

It creates a new wall type.  This makes the wall schedule a nightmare to clean up

This can happen when placing a wall from the library when a wall type with the same name already exists in the plan and both walls do not have the same wall definitions.

You can tell when this happens by the way Chief appends and underscore and number to the wall name - ie "_2".

This means that if you place a wall from the library and then open that wall and change any of it's definition parameters, and then try and draw another wall of the same type from the library, it will be automatically renamed.

Renaming wall types can get a bit messy because you can change a wall name directly in the library, BUT, doing this will not change the actual name of the wall definition.

You can also rename a wall type in Wall Type Definitions dbx - this will not change the wall type name in the library.

I tend not to keep wall definitions in the library, but rather keep them in the drawing (my default plan).

I am not sure what process you have followed to get your results, but the above may help a little.

I am not sure about the material changes - I haven't had time to look further.

Same thing happening here to me in your plan

Exported Wall looks fine in Library till placed back in plan

My Stored Walls, like Eric's are working fine in your plan....

Your Exported wall Def. while looking good in the library is very strange in a new Plan

draws okay but the Wall Definition is saying there are NO Textures  

image.thumb.png.5b11d4b6f9a1477d1025f89daf855e50.pngimage.thumb.png.c9539fdc91fbacb346f252e392c53ada.png 

I did turn that into support but started looking further into my library.  I had created these doors specifically to add to a "Doors, Existing" Layer, but in the library, they show as layer "Site Import" which I only use to put raw survey info.  I spent a whole bunch of time trying to set things up to work smoother and just am not feeling the love for Chief this morning....

205225402_Doorexisting.thumb.JPG.16707d97543aa1a6852ee427aa91573e.JPG

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I have passed this along to our development department to look into and try to resolve in a future version of the software.
I suggest in the mean time that you use a template plan with all your wall types set up in that plan file. This would have them available in your wall types dropdown each time you need to adjust them. This would also allow you to quickly customize and copy from there. I understand that this is not the solution you want, but while we look into this further it may give you a quicker way to work.
If you were to start a new plan file you can go to Default Settings> Walls and then select the wall type you want to modify the defaults of. In there you can go to Wall Types> Define and make copies of different wall types to create your own. Once this is all set up the way you want (even with other defaults) you can go to File> Templates> Save as Template. If you want more information on setting up a template plan I've attached an article below.

This is the answer I have received from support.  In my opinion, this is not something that I can wait until somebody decides to look at it for a possible future version.  It took me almost 5 years to get comfortable even using this software to have the knowledge to start customizing it.  I have been using "programs" for over 45 years and this is one of the most complicated pieces of software.

Not only do I pay several thousand dollars a year for 2 licenses, the training hours, the hours I have spent in troubleshooting, and the hours customizing makes this piece of software very expensive.

Yep, a mini tantrum on my part, just not real happy about this today!

2 hours ago, wjmdes said:

I did turn that into support but started looking further into my library.  I had created these doors specifically to add to a "Doors, Existing" Layer, but in the library, they show as layer "Site Import" which I only use to put raw survey info.  I spent a whole bunch of time trying to set things up to work smoother and just am not feeling the love for Chief this morning....

205225402_Doorexisting.thumb.JPG.16707d97543aa1a6852ee427aa91573e.JPG

I can understand the happiness thing but it is worth a Try to make a few new Walls built in a New Plan made from Chief Default Template ( Residental Template)

to see if it is an Issue with you current Template Plan causing it.

M.

Just now, Kbird1 said:

I can understand the happiness thing but it is worth a Try to make a few new Walls built in a New Plan made from Chief Default Template ( Residental Template)

to see if it is an Issue with you current Template Plan causing it.

OK, then what do I do about my template plan I am using now, that has been a work in progress for years?  I have all the "anno sets", layers, layer sets, etc set up.  Can I import all that into a new template?

5 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

OK, then what do I do about my template plan I am using now, that has been a work in progress for years?  I have all the "anno sets", layers, layer sets, etc set up.  Can I import all that into a new template?

Yes Annosets, Layers Sets, Defaults, SPV etc can all be imported , I would just do as TS suggested without any of that, if it works?, then look closer at your defaults etc as it is likely your Template not a Chief issue. 

If Okay import one thing at a time and TEST, then the next thing,until it breaks , which may give you and TS a clue to the issue.

M.

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Yes Annosets. Layers Sets, Default, SPV etc can all be imported , I would just do as TS suggested without any of that , if it work , then look closer at your defaults etc

SPV?

TS?

• 4 months later...

Reading through the forum, there was a post regarding using the paintbrush and several people say to avoid it.  I now believe this is what was causing this problem.  Starting with a "fresh-clean" wall I have not had these issues.

I discovered this problem when I was developing my "Screened Porch Library". It seems if I tried to edit an item in the library by "right clicking" on it and selecting "open object". Then...edit the material and save it...the next time I'd go to use it the railing panel would be corrupted. The screen material would turn "black". Needless to say...I advise everyone that purchase my library not to edit objects in the library. 

I contacted tech support and was told they would look into it...but, in the meantime...don't edit items in the library. Really?

So...no solution. Kind of like saying to your Doctor...when I move my arm like this it hurts and the Doc tells you to just not move your arm. OK...that works. 

• 3 years later...

I think I have the answer. In order to add a wall type to your library browser, follow these steps: 

1. Open new plan file. 

2. Select Wall Type Exterior 

3. Draw a segment of wall in the plan

4. Open the wall and select copy. Then rename the copy you just created. 

5. Edit the wall assembly and click OK to exit the wall assembly when done.  

6. From plan view, click on the wall you just created and add it to the library with the button at the bottom of the screen. 

It is very important that you COPY and RENAME the wall type. If you simply edit the default wall type that comes with Chief and save that to the library without copying and renaming it first, this is where the material conflict happens. It is the same for REVIT, you must duplicate and rename in order for it to work. 

Once this is done, from the library browser you can just click the wall type that you created and draw it. I have mine all set up like this. I also created a full template for residential with all the standards I typically use, including dimensions. So I use both in tandem to speed up my process. Overall, I think it took me about 8 hours of fiddling with everything to get to where I am happy with my custom defaults. 

Hope this helps.