Dashed lines in plan and roof view

Fergie

Hello,

I've been a long time user of Chief Architect but there some things I don't know, that I should, like the dashed line in the picture. I assume it's a bearing line? I can't seem to find out how to turn it on or off as I don't want it showing in the roof layout.

Thank you.

dashed line.jpg

• 11 months later...

Is there any other way to determine these things?.I cannot seem to actually select the ceiling break line to actually see what the object is.

Beating my head as I try and select, then draw a box to select, tab, tab, still nothing, zoom, rinse repeat.

I then copy the current active layer set, and then start unchecking things until I find it. Is this the only way(besides narrowing it with the line type, and or colour as Eric suggested)? I'm kind of thinking yes this is the only way as there are multiple posts with the problem and this post seems like the only methodical attempt to determine what it is, but I am hoping there is a better way??

If I remember correctly, the "S" step also has the same "Cannot select" behaviour.

Thanks

7 hours ago, jasonN said:

Is there any other way to determine these things?.I cannot seem to actually select the ceiling break line to actually see what the object is.

Beating my head as I try and select, then draw a box to select, tab, tab, still nothing, zoom, rinse repeat.

I then copy the current active layer set, and then start unchecking things until I find it. Is this the only way(besides narrowing it with the line type, and or colour as Eric suggested)? I'm kind of thinking yes this is the only way as there are multiple posts with the problem and this post seems like the only methodical attempt to determine what it is, but I am hoping there is a better way??

If I remember correctly, the "S" step also has the same "Cannot select" behaviour.

Thanks

I went through the process many years ago by turning all the layers off, then on, one by one until the 'ceiling break lines' appeared. Can't be selected to learn the layer they are on and haven't been selectable for many, many years. There is STILL no better way to find their layer than the method above and the tips suggested.

8 hours ago, jasonN said:

Is there any other way to determine these things?

51 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

There is STILL no better way to find their layer than the method above and the tips suggested.

Actually, there IS a pretty easy way.  When I don't know what layer is controlling any given object in Plan View, one of the things I'll do sometimes is just create a CAD Detail From View.  Select the line in that view and inspect its layer.

• Upvote 1

Yes there are ways (better?) other than the expected method of selecting objects and inspecting them in the ALDO to see which layer they are on but that's the point. If you don't know the miriad of methods available in Chief, as a new user, it can be frustrating. Why can't that dashed line be selected in plan view to inspect its layer and turn it off/on like every other item? Why does that dashed line ignore every attempt to select it other than creating a CAD detail? Long time users have figured it out, but why does it need figuring out by side stepping all of Chief's conventions of selecting objects and their layers?

Nice trick Michael. Fast and easy method compared to scrolling my 10,000 layers. 

The two most annoying lines that appear are the ceiling break lines (unless they are alerting you to an issue you need to fix) and the "S" step footing markers. If I had a nickel for every curse word I uttered...

A hover over and report the layer tool would be nice. 

15 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Actually, there IS a pretty easy way.  When I don't know what layer is controlling any given object in Plan View, one of the things I'll do sometimes is just create a CAD Detail From View.  Select the line in that view and inspect its layer.

thank you, I'll remember this