Chief Lags when moving walls or objects

KDsnyder

The following text is from a posted that has since been marked solved. The solution on that thread is about 3 years old and required a RAM drive using a third party download. As the issue I'm having is new after I've changed settings and only on this one file and my I'm curious if there is a different solution.

[copied text from "SOLVED" post] I'm currently experiencing really long lag times every time I move a wall or other object. Interestingly though I've noticed that bumping a cabinet doesn't produce the same lag time (it's almost instant) UNTIL it meets another object like an adjoining cabinet. I tested this by pulling the cabinet out into the room which resulted in a lag, then when it was in the room I was able to modify the cabinet by bumping stretching deleting and replacing like normal. Upon pushing that cabinet back to its position next to the other resulted in the same lag. Also, I am able to modify upper cabinets fine while they are touching other upper cabinets however I did notice that when I UNDO a function I also get a lag. This makes me wonder if the lag is due to the computer recognizing that the elevations and 3D views now need to reconstruct that joint whereas before the objects were just moving within the space. I'm getting about 60-80sec lag times which is absolutely insane. I haven't experienced this issue on other plans so it's very strange and makes me think I adjusted a setting somewhere that is causing this. The file size is 6.7MB

Thanks for any insight you may have on this. If it is helpful I can record a screen video just trying to figure out what might be the most helpful information to record.image.thumb.png.8e9afa7068252ffe2276da973b7192b2.png

KD you didn't say what version of Chief you are using. Fix that by adding to your signature.
https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/18908-signature-here-at-chief-talk/

After you review the info Dermot provided I would look at Close the LAYOUT File.
Also notes & schedules, also auto rebuild, If you have a complex terrain that can cause slowdowns.
Those are the obvious ones for me with my limited knowledge.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dermot said:

Thanks so much for that. I should have mentioned that I went through all of that first before I reached out to this community. It is the oddest thing. 

22 hours ago, ACADuser said:

KD you didn't say what version of Chief you are using. Fix that by adding to your signature.
https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/18908-signature-here-at-chief-talk/

After you review the info Dermot provided I would look at Close the LAYOUT File.
Also notes & schedules, also auto rebuild, If you have a complex terrain that can cause slowdowns.
Those are the obvious ones for me with my limited knowledge.

Got it... I'll look into those options to see if that works. I did have auto rebuild walls turned on which I turned off. It didn't seem to speed it up so I went and deleted the wall framing that was generated by that action and still no performance issue. Thanks again for your help.

You can always record a video of the situation and post the plan file.  Someone with the same or similar computer specifications can run the plan file and see if it is a hardware issue or look to see what may be causing the issue in the plan file.

Also please post your computer specifications and the version of chief you are using in your signature so that it is always there as a reference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Would be best if you could post the plan, then we could see if the issue is plan related and possibly identify the culprit. Lot's of things can cause plans to run slow, just one crazy symbol can bring bring a system to a crawl.

Got it... here it is:

2 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

55 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

You can always record a video of the situation and post the plan file. 

Here is the link to the video...

2 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

55 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Also please post your computer specifications and the version of chief you are using in your signature so that it is always there as a reference.

Sorry, a bit new to the forum. I thought I had done that. Should be good now hopefully.

Here's the link to the Youtube Video... sorry I couldn't figure out how to shrink the size down. 

Tuck_As-Built.plan

6 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Haven't dug to deep so I'm not sure where exactly the problem is, but I can definitely reproduce in X10.  No problems in X11 or X12 though so I suspect it's a bug or specific performance issue that's been addressed in newer versions.

Great, thank you so much for looking into it. I'm currently going through another file that was produced around the same time and comparing settings. So far I haven't found anything.

Kurt,

I think I have the answer.

Working in X10.

There is a little triangular room attached to the upper right hand corner of the circular wall near the centre of the building.

Select one of the walls and designate it as a No Room Definition wall.

Delete the 2 room divider walls in the big room at the top of the plan.

Chief doesn't like island rooms.

In this case, the island room is connected to the exterior wall with a room divider, so I am not sure of the exact reason for the odd behaviour.

You are using an older version, so it just might be a bug that was fixed in later versions.

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 2.42.36 pm.png

• Upvote 1

@glennw Glenn, you are a wizard! I'm really curious why you thought to take care of those issues but so far that was the ticket. I deleted the first room divider then changed the wall to "no room definition" and that was pretty slow still it took about 60's once I changed the wall. As soon as I deleted the 2nd room divider the whole plan felt snappier. Even panning around in plan was smoother! Thank you so much! With that said I do still get about 2-3secs of the blue wheel when I'm working in plan and have an open elevation/perspective. Are you experiencing the same thing? Again a HUGE thank you for that I would have never even thought of that.