Foundation Plan Display Plumbing

FireflyDesigns

8 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

You didn't follow my instructions ... the sink goes onto the CAD Default layer as it is really just the Sink's CAD Block from the Symbol.

No, not if you place them direct into the cabinet as you found out.... but you can use a White or background Color or the Invisible Line Style to hide the base cabinets as Eric pointed out

If you drop the sink on the Floor in front of the Cabinet ( say ok to message if you get popup) and drag it into the Cabinet, it stays on the Fixtures Layer or any layer you put it on.... see your plan I Modded attached.... and then just use that layer in the Ref. Set.

M.

ref_set_3_MHD.plan

Always appreciate your feedback Mick but I think the signals got a bit crossed here. The video was posted before your suggested steps and wasn't intended to reflect those suggestions, so yes I didn't follow your instructions in the video.

When I did follow your instructions it worked great. I didn't read through the dbx that I got when placing the sink as a 'free standing object' - check yes and it all works great. The dbx I got previously I couldn't change layers with the sink I was using (dunno why) but then it worked fine and with invisible line for the cabs in the ref set, piece of cake.

Thanks for the follow up.

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Always appreciate your feedback Mick but I think the signals got a bit crossed here. The video was posted before your suggested steps and wasn't intended to reflect those suggestions, so yes I didn't follow your instructions in the video.

When I did follow your instructions it worked great. I didn't read through the dbx that I got when placing the sink as a 'free standing object' - check yes and it all works great. The dbx I got previously I couldn't change layers with the sink I was using (dunno why) but then it worked fine and with invisible line for the cabs in the ref set, piece of cake.

Thanks for the follow up.

You are right , it was your question asking me to look at the Video that was after my suggestion, not the Video , so I guess I just assumed that was what you were asking...

M.

20 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

There appears to be a way to display just the sink without the cabinet. Stumble through the technique but it seems to work.

Correction from Eric below. Just choose the blank line style for the cabinets in the ref set.

ref_set_3.plan

Ain't you the clever one.  Nice job Larry!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Use the CAD FROM VIEW tool of your floor plan......

Nuts,  this defeats the purpose of the "live" ref sets.  If someone wants to dimension the fixtures, dimension on the floor plan with dimensions on their own layer and then turn that layer on in the ref set for viewing on the foundation plan.  I use a similar method when dimensioning distance from first floor roof eaves to property lines when I am using the second level for the roof plan sent to layout setup.

I remember the CAD FROM VIEW trick from back in 2005,  crazy stuff,  that is what led up to truly usable ref sets that we did not have until X3.

• Upvote 2

On 7/6/2020 at 11:15 AM, robdyck said:

A simple way would be to have your plumbing fixtures on their own layer and define those layer settings for your foundation plan.

This is what I do, for only those fixtures I want to show up. They're on a "Fixtures, Visible Below" layer.

20 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Gonna try your suggestion but would rather not have to go through too much for each sink..

I have that all set in my template so they always work how I want them to. 

353222255_ScreenShot2020-07-07at11_52_41AM.thumb.png.c607cfdaa4f3b4a9b0a13291f6b56aea.png

10 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

This is what I do, for only those fixtures I want to show up. They're on a "Fixtures, Visible Below" layer.

I have that all set in my template so they always work how I want them to. 

353222255_ScreenShot2020-07-07at11_52_41AM.thumb.png.c607cfdaa4f3b4a9b0a13291f6b56aea.png

Good idea of course re: the template but just realized I never include this info in my plan sets. Maybe it's time to set up the template to deal with the eventuality. Thanks Chris

On 7/7/2020 at 11:37 AM, dshall said:

Nuts,  this defeats the purpose of the "live" ref sets.  If someone wants to dimension the fixtures, dimension on the floor plan with dimensions on their own layer and then turn that layer on in the ref set for viewing on the foundation plan.  I use a similar method when dimensioning distance from first floor roof eaves to property lines when I am using the second level for the roof plan sent to layout setup.

I remember the CAD FROM VIEW trick from back in 2005,  crazy stuff,  that is what led up to truly usable ref sets that we did not have until X3.

Yes, I see the dimension will not snap to the rough framing in the wall ref set. Which is what I use.

So I guess we are forced to dimension on the floor above using a special layer.

• 2 months later...