Foundation Plan Display Plumbing

FireflyDesigns

I'm not finding anything that is giving me what I'm looking for. I only see how to use reference floors and that is not my need, unless I am not reading things correctly.

I'd like to display the plumbing and pull dimensions and print with those images displayed.

2 hours ago, FireflyDesigns said:

How can I get my foundation plan to display plumbing? I've attached an image of how I'd like to be doing it. I have looked at active layers and they are on, but only display on the floor plan.

Screenshot 2020-07-05 19.27.52.png

Make a dedicated Saved Plan View set for the Foundation Level ( copy Working Plan View) and make a dedicated Layerset for it  ( copy the Working Layer Set ) and control exactly what layers you want to show in that new SPV.

SPV Videos https://www.chiefarchitect.com/search/?default_tab=video&q=saved+plan+views

M.

Curious, are the plumbing fixtures on the foundation level? If so simply turn on the fixtures layer to show them in position. If not then a reference layer SHOULD give you what you want as has been suggested a couple times. Have you figured this out yet? Do you understand ref layers? Perhaps post a plan and the smart guys can offer more help.

Also curious about how you generated the image you posted?

14 hours ago, FireflyDesigns said:

How can I get my foundation plan to display plumbing? I've attached an image of how I'd like to be doing it. I have looked at active layers and they are on, but only display on the floor plan.

Screenshot 2020-07-05 19.27.52.png

A simple way would be to have your plumbing fixtures on their own layer and define those layer settings for your foundation plan. The same would be true for a main floor framing plan. This starts messing a few things up from a layer control standpoint, like the lav in a base cabinet.

My personal preference would be to use labeled CAD blocks representing only the necessary waste lines that penetrate the slab, footing, or walls.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

A simple way would be to have your plumbing fixtures on their own layer and define those layer settings for your foundation plan. The same would be true for a main floor framing plan. This starts messing a few things up from a layer control standpoint, like the lav in a base cabinet.

My personal preference would be to use labeled CAD blocks representing only the necessary waste lines that penetrate the slab, footing, or walls.

Is this more or less what you are suggesting? This is how my current foundation plans look. I do not do measurements, just outlines for tub/shower plumbing and they use the floor plan to get their measurements from.

Screenshot 2020-07-06 11.34.44.png

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Curious, are the plumbing fixtures on the foundation level? If so simply turn on the fixtures layer to show them in position. If not then a reference layer SHOULD give you what you want as has been suggested a couple times. Have you figured this out yet? Do you understand ref layers? Perhaps post a plan and the smart guys can offer more help.

Also curious about how you generated the image you posted?

The image is from a plan someone sent me.

My plumbing fixtures are on their floor levels. If I turn the reference layer on I am not able to get dimensions to those plumbing fixtures and I get more than just plumbing fixtures from the reference layer. Maybe I do not understand reference layers. I am currently watching some video on them to see if that helps.

6 minutes ago, FireflyDesigns said:

Is this more or less what you are suggesting?

Yeah. Obviously you need to customize your drawing to your audience. I'd suggest that there's no point to providing dimensions to drain or fixture locations unless the builder asks for them and even then, only if the fixture models are known and the cabinet layouts are finalized, which is not typical for residential construction. 

1 hour ago, FireflyDesigns said:

Maybe I do not understand reference layers.

This is most likely the problem. X12 allows for multiple ref sets so you can set up a single ref set just for your plumbing/foundation view. They are a bit tricky to get the hang of but once you do you will most likely use them on every plan set.

16 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Make a dedicated Saved Plan View set for the Foundation Level ( copy Working Plan View) and make a dedicated Layerset for it  ( copy the Working Layer Set ) and control exactly what layers you want to show in that new SPV.

SPV Videos https://www.chiefarchitect.com/search/?default_tab=video&q=saved+plan+views

M.

With a ref set included me thinks.

Here is the problem I ran into trying to use referenced layer sets.
Solver has a good example in the plan he posted.
The sinks are in cabinets typically & do not show up unless you turn on the cabinet layer.
I do not want to show all cabinets. In fact, I prefer to show the sink only an not cabinet.
The stand-alone fixtures show up fine. Toilet's, tubs water heater, etc. The sinks are an issue for me.
Next are plumbing walls. I do not want ALL walls to be displayed so the plumbing walls need to be on a separate layer.
You can use the layer trick with cabinets with sinks but as I said I don't want the cabinets, only the sink to display.
So for me using 2D representations is what I do. The big downside of this method is that if you modify/move something on the floor above the foundation does not update.
The reference display of the floor above will guide you so you can align CAD objects to match the modified locations.
I'm not happy with this method but the work to make the reference display as I want it is not worth the effort.

Thanks my 2 cents.
And I hope someone has a better answer.

CA Ref layer.JPG

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Use the CAD FROM VIEW tool of your floor plan. Delete everything you don't want shown. Copy/Paste in Place on the foundation level. Now you have CAD objects you can dimension to.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

With a ref set included me thinks.

Would depend on where Fixtures are if not on the foundation Level...

14 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Here is the problem I ran into trying to use referenced layer sets.
The sinks are in cabinets typically & do not show up unless you turn on the cabinet layer.
I do not want to show all cabinets. In fact, I prefer to show the sink only an not cabinet.
The stand-alone fixtures show up fine. Toilet's, tubs water heater, etc. The sinks are an issue for me.

Placing the Sinks in the Room ( on floor in front of cabinet > open > set Height > change layer /make new one if needed) drag into Cabinet with CTRL should allow them to stay on the Fixture Layer ( or one you have made specifically for sinks)

Mick.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Would depend on where Fixtures are if not on the foundation Level...

Placing the Sinks in the Room ( on floor in front of cabinet > open > set Height > change layer /make new one if needed) drag into Cabinet with CTRL should allow them to stay on the Fixture Layer ( or one you have made specifically for sinks)

Mick.

"Would depend on where Fixtures are if not on the foundation Level.." True that.

See if I missed something in that vid Mick. I could not get the sink, once placed in a cabinet, on a different layer than what's default from Chief (CAD default).

Gonna try your suggestion but would rather not have to go through too much for each sink..

9 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

"Would depend on where Fixtures are if not on the foundation Level.." True that.

See if I missed something in that vid Mick. I could not get the sink, once placed in a cabinet, on a different layer than what's default from Chief (CAD default).

Gonna try your suggestion but would rather not have to go through too much for each sink..

You didn't follow my instructions ... the sink goes onto the CAD Default layer as it is really just the Sink's CAD Block from the Symbol.

9 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Looks like inset sinks must be set in to a cabinet and end up on the CAD default layer and can't be changed, or I can't see how. 

No, not if you place them direct into the cabinet as you found out.... but you can use a White or background Color or the Invisible Line Style to hide the base cabinets as Eric pointed out

If you drop the sink on the Floor in front of the Cabinet ( say ok to message if you get popup) and drag it into the Cabinet, it stays on the Fixtures Layer or any layer you put it on.... see your plan I Modded attached.... and then just use that layer in the Ref. Set.

M.

ref_set_3_MHD.plan