rafter tail on high side of roof

Lighthouse

I'm trying to create rafter tails on the high side of a roof, where I have a cantilevered overhang.  I've tried reversing the roof pitch, and spinning the roof around, etc, but Chief always figures out how to put them on the low side where I don't want them.  I know I can create individual rafters out of PS, but I'm trying to do things the right way (auto generate framing, instead of stick building the house on the computer).  Any ideas much appreciated!

tapered roof.jpg

24 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

but I'm trying to do things the right way (auto generate framing, instead of stick building the house on the computer).

It ain't gonna happen, David! The only way to do that out of a framing member is to use a truss polyline and then edit the truss members in the truss detail. 

On 7/3/2020 at 4:09 PM, robdyck said:

It ain't gonna happen, David! The only way to do that out of a framing member is to use a truss polyline and then edit the truss members in the truss detail. 

hmmm, I never heard of a truss polyline so that's a good tip, I will check it out.  I'm curious to see if there is an advantage of creating polyline solids.  thx

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

hmmm, I never heard of a truss polyline so that's a good tip, I will check it out.  I'm curious to see if there is an advantage of creating polyline solids.  thx

One minor advantage is the appearance of woodgrain direction will be correct using the truss polyline. One major disadvantage is the edits to a truss polyline are not as stable as a solid. Click on the the edited truss and it might rebuild, even if its locked. Personally, I'd stick with the solid, and if I needed it in a schedule, I'd convert it to a fixture and then adjust those properties.

• Upvote 1