Elevation Door Labels

myrtsbnye

Whenever I show door labels on the elevations the labels of interior doors are shown as well. This is confusing. The interior door labels are shown whenever the door is seen through a window.

Is there a way to turn off the interior door labels?

Just to clarify what Eric is suggesting,  You can make all of your window and door glass opaque by changing one setting in the render technique.  As long as your glass material is set to "use default", this setting will change it between opaque and transparent.

If you want to keep your glass clear but turn off the label for something that you can see inside the building, you can do this as well.  The trick is that you need to select the object and turn off the label for the camera view that it is showing up in.  Sometimes you can use the temporary delete surface tool to make it easier to select the object.

opaque glass.png

hiding a label.png

• Upvote 1

I saw something similar in another User's Plan yesterday ALL the labels where showing through the walls, ie for cabinets, appliances, fixtures etc , so I guess that is a different Issue? I just turned them all off in elevation but was surprised they showed through the Wall to begin with.

M.

7 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I saw something similar in another User's Plan yesterday ALL the labels where showing through the walls, ie for cabinets, appliances, fixtures etc , so I guess that is a different Issue?

Mick do you remember what version that was drawn in ?   There was a bug like that at one point in X9 or X10 maybe.

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Mick do you remember what version that was drawn in ?   There was a bug like that at one point in X9 or X10 maybe.

Hmmmm I didn't think to ask I assumed X12 so will check....

M.

54 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

There was a bug like that at one point in X9 or X10 maybe.

Don't recall any bugs.  I do however recall video card issues.  Some solutions in the past...

• Update drivers
  • Adjust Hardware Edge Smoothing
  • The ole standby...Hide In This View

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:
  • Update drivers
  • Adjust Hardware Edge Smoothing
  • The ole standby...Hide In This View

^^ what he said. I was one of the ones in that conversation at the time. I would get cabinet labels from cabinets on the backside of a wall I was doing in section; crazy stuff going on at the time.

13 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Don't recall any bugs.  I do however recall video card issues.  Some solutions in the past...

• ...Hide In This View

I seem to remember this one from those past threads

3 hours ago, MoeGia said:

On the label panel, set the object's label to 'automatic'.  If a label is set to 'show in this view', they'll show through the walls.  

Thanks Maureen , I'll have to check with them , that could of been the Issue...... 

Mick.

If all of the labels are showing through walls, not just through non-opaque windows, than this is most likely caused by a video card problem.  Updating drivers or changing the hardware edge smoothing setting can usually solve this problem.  Haven't seen this problem in a while but here is some more info:

Seems like additional layers would also help. While it might not be ideal to have interior doors or interior walls, etc, on their own layer that would also solve the label issues as indicated by the OP.  Side benefit: It can also speed up Chief when working in an elevation view by reducing the number of surfaces being modeled.

42 minutes ago, Dermot said:

If all of the labels are showing through walls, not just through non-opaque windows, than this is most likely caused by a video card problem.  Updating drivers or changing the hardware edge smoothing setting can usually solve this problem.  Haven't seen this problem in a while but here is some more info:

Thanks Dermot , I knew I had been in a thread abut this before :)  , I'll pass on the info from the thread, thanks.

16 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Seems like additional layers would also help. While it might not be ideal to have interior doors or interior walls, etc, on their own layer that would also solve the label issues as indicated by the OP.  Side benefit: It can also speed up Chief when working in an elevation view by reducing the number of surfaces being modeled.

I actually like that Idea and not just from a Labels issues standpoint....

M.

58 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Interesting.  I'd thought about doing this way back in the first several months after I learned the basics of Chief... as that is what I was doing in AutoCad prior.  I did not (and still do not) see a way to have those wall types automatically go onto a user defined layer.  Am I missing something?   It's not a huge job to manually do it, but it invites problems cropping up.

26 minutes ago, solver said:

Check out wall defaults.

If you use walls from your library, they can have the layer set as well.

Thank you Eric.
Uhghhh....what a dummy I am. So aggravating....of course... I've seen it there a zillion times, but never when I've thought about it in terms of assigning their own layer... I've always looked at the Wall Definition.   Why is layer assignment not available on a wall type basis from the Wall Definition?   Seems like it should be.

5 hours ago, DzinEye said:

I did not (and still do not) see a way to have those wall types automatically go onto a user defined layer.

You can make interior or exterior walls go to a custom layer by specifying that layer in the Interior Wall Defaults dbx, or the Exterior Wall Defaults dbx - on the Layer panel.

Also applies to the other wall types like foundation walls, deck railings, pony wall, etc. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, glennw said:

You can make interior or exterior walls go to a custom layer by specifying that layer in the Interior Wall Defaults dbx, or the Exterior Wall Defaults dbx - on the Layer panel

Thanks Glenn... ya, Eric set me straight a bit earlier.  I've seen the wall Defaults dbx a million times, but for some reason when I think of setting a layer I want to do it from the wall definition where it's not an option.  Wondering why?  Glad I got that basic bit of info straightened out though.  Something I gave up on early on and never looked back.