Clean up corners when using break tool on deck railing

bmatth1

I have an L shaped deck, and part of it will be a screened in porch.  There are two corners that just will not close correctly due to using the break tool on the rail wall to be an enclosed area for the screened in porch.  Sometimes I get it to work, by working with the corners, but when I close the file and re-open - it is back to where it was.  When I get one corner to look good, the other one messes up.  The beam opens at the corner, and the rails do not connect to the beam.  Suggestions?  I am using CA Premier X12.  Also, when I try to add footers under the concrete supports, it shows up for a few minutes then reverts back to the 12" default, without supporting footers.  Don't know if this is all related. 

image.thumb.png.4cde70e9e65dfb817b6b45d39a890ff2.pngimage.thumb.png.e73ff269783a8f43853d86967a5794a7.pngimage.thumb.png.25d87e9a8224572256ec6a123c59db01.pngimage.thumb.png.6e2a884fb00582f50e836010e88aea5e.pngimage.thumb.png.d825eea2c79fc8eeeec27751e3206f5a.pngimage.thumb.png.a2203750d0a67dd3edee852678a2e30e.png

Doesn't want to stick.  And on on one corner, I get a column by itself - when I dragged one of the diamonds it gave me the column to work with.  However, when I adjust the other end of the wall (that does not stick) this end falls short again.  It is like a tug of war - when one side appears to be fixed, the other one comes up short again.  It is almost like I should start over, and build the screened porch first, then attach the rest of the deck to this - Is there another way?  Thanks

image.png.52121b3c99a3d521e852708fa83fba8b.pngimage.png.0898aac634af7d07e15724ef978deabb.png

Use different wall types for the different railings. Make a copy, name it so its easily recognizable and maybe change the fill pattern so they're easily distinguishable in plan view. That will take care of the connection issues.

• Upvote 1

When I delete the portion of deck that it not part of the screened porch, and then attach a piece of deck railing to one of the corners,  the same thing happens - as if I used the break tool.  The new railing wall cuts into the existing wall (deck railing with post) 1/2 way, and causes the beam at the top to not join, and the new railing to come up short.  When the screened porch is standing alone, all works great, until I attach new deck railing walls. 

image.thumb.png.4d5ca6b8c951303e852675edc809b537.pngimage.thumb.png.aa35d0537d298e435f0259d3aa782109.pngimage.thumb.png.05d0825fd87d0b23d3169e3451de86bc.png

Hello Eric. Is there a setting somewhere that would be causing this to happen?  Is there a way to deal with the way Chief handles breaking a wall - in the center of an adjoining wall - in this case, in the middle of a deck railing post? 

55 minutes ago, bmatth1 said:

Is there a way to deal with the way Chief handles breaking a wall - in the center of an adjoining wall - in this case, in the middle of a deck railing post? 

Chief always (has) joins Walls along their Centerline , the only way of not doing that is the new Option that came in X11 , is to make a new Walltype with the Partition Wall Option Set at the very bottom of the Wall Definition  - this is supposed to allow two walls to touch surface to surface only and still remain joined to get Room definition.

***Not sure if it will work in this particular case though....

image.png.eb575f63eca547264e506f6b567fe06a.png      image.png.c87e6557090fceebaae9f0d8c8412b37.png

*** Edit..........

image.thumb.png.4658541346ba560541366dc13f318375.png

M.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

make a new Walltype with the Partition Wall Option

Wow... learning another new thing.  Thanks.
Even reading that it's at the bottom of the wall definition it's hard to see... I looked 3x and finally found it.   Because it's indented from the other options you really don't even notice it... which is probably why I don't know about it.    I can think of several times where I would've used this had I known about it.

Is this the setting?  Sorry, did not work. Not sure why this is not working.  According to the documentation, this should do it: 

Partition Walls

By default, walls not only build to an intersecting wall’s Main Layer, they also build through the finish layers of the floor below and the ceiling above to reach the structural layers.

In some situations, though, this is not desirable: for example, glass shower walls are typically installed against the surfaces of walls, floors and ceilings rather than building into them. To achieve this, use a wall type that is specified as a Partition Wall. 

image.thumb.png.584812bb3d5cec23efe9ea483d249fa3.png

Yes that is the one , I added a picture up above now to clarify.

Unfortunately like you I have found it doesn't always work as expected, but the documentation is not really deep enough to know why.

M.

51 minutes ago, bmatth1 said:

Sorry, did not work

There is another workaround you could try.  Put a section of a very thin invisible wall parallel to the porch wall and right up against it, and that should keep the other railing from cutting into it.

4 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

There is another workaround you could try.  Put a section of a very thin invisible wall parallel to the porch wall and right up against it, and that should keep the other railing from cutting into it.

Yes a short section of Room Divider may work , it just stops the two walls actually joining by placing it perpendicular to the railing wall BUT it may break the Room Definition too.

image.thumb.png.33fb0e01651918a3b1d20c52cf517a13.png

M.

Ok.  I have played with it quite a bit and put it back together - partially.  Basically, you can see the two corners in question.  I was going to try the divider wall - but I am not sure if this would prevent it from attaching, and may add another post to the end.  Feel free to take a look.  Thanks.

Bruce Deck Project.plan

Thanks for the effort Eric.  Looks good.  You mentioned other tricks - what other tricks did you use?  ALSO - I have set the footer size for the deck piers several times, and this does not stay.  Suggestions as to why this will not take permanently?  It seems like Premier should be doing a better job - should not have to jump through so many hoops to make the basic things work - agree?

image.thumb.png.a60f746ccbbb254cf7000b1d1dbb1a98.png

7 minutes ago, bmatth1 said:

Suggestions as to why this will not take permanently?

If you let Chief Auto re-generate the framing I think it will redo the Piers too , try the retain option on the deck tab of the deck room once mods are finished

M.

When I regenerate the deck framing, the mods are deleted.  I have it set to auto regenerate deck framing.  Could it be going back to the settings on the Deck Support tab as shown in the screenshot?  Should I make this the correct size of the footings, instead of trying to modify the footings independently?  I just now tried it and that seemed to work.  Would be nice to be able to change the footers independently. 

image.thumb.png.f29b86091fb3446734b2bbebad80876a.pngimage.thumb.png.5b0fffe1514a45f550af4face4ed49a5.png

So just thought I would add I ran into this same issue (very similar design of an as-built deck that we are adding a roof to a portion of the deck.  Same idea where it was offset and everything.  In the plan it was not behaving like in the case of the OP, and I was able to use a room divider out away from the front railing (parallel about 6" away from corner post) then turned and came back allowing the non post to beam railing to build to it.  Then i just pulled those dividers back to the edge of the post.  It came out perfect in 2d and 3d with everything on autobuild.

image.thumb.png.79e61587651ae0f289f5ea8b68313380.pngimage.thumb.png.858e0a1811fb7ca2d7bab95516e199f2.pngimage.thumb.png.fd0ed6f5b0da02e1993715f6d2c96342.pngimage.thumb.png.a04082571a646ce84707b3d8a646567a.png

Used a doorway to model the transition between the two decks which in vector mode leaves the outline of where the top and bottom rail would be in vector but not in pbr or standard view. 

image.thumb.png.04929785e1c88ee87e006676e92ce3fc.png

image.thumb.png.0cf27c84ab75f690a0298b6a8acf49c7.png

1 hour ago, bmatth1 said:

When I regenerate the deck framing, the mods are deleted.  I have it set to auto regenerate deck framing.  Could it be going back to the settings on the Deck Support tab as shown in the screenshot?  Should I make this the correct size of the footings, instead of trying to modify the footings independently?  I just now tried it and that seemed to work.  Would be nice to be able to change the footers independently. 

image.thumb.png.f29b86091fb3446734b2bbebad80876a.pngimage.thumb.png.5b0fffe1514a45f550af4face4ed49a5.png

Personally I seldomly use the actual auto methods of deck support (and I try to use everything as possible with auto-build). It has great potential but it is not versatile enough in lots of cases where I usually allow the deck to auto frame then turn it off and adjust the joists/rim, etc. and I place my own beams and posts as I many times will do flush (2) or (3) 2x's with posts on corners lots of times.  But that is just my personal workflow and how I usually handle it.