Dimension Style Dropdown Toolbar

BeachHouse1

You can find it in the customize toolbars dialog under Active Dimension Defaults Control.

Personally, I would recommend that you use the Active Defaults tool instead because it allows you quick access to all of your current defaults in one place.  Or you could use the Edit Active View tool that allows you to change the current defaults along with any other view specific data.

active defaults.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

You can find it in the customize toolbars dialog under Active Dimension Defaults Control.

Personally, I would recommend that you use the Active Defaults tool instead because it allows you quick access to all of your current defaults in one place.  Or you could use the Edit Active View tool that allows you to change the current defaults along with any other view specific data.

active defaults.png

Finally, I get to disagree with you(though only partially). I fully agree with the methodology of coaching users to use the active default tools, especially when they are all struggling to transition to SPV's, however, I have an incredibly powerful workflow for dimensioning where I switch my active dimension defaults depending on what I am planning on dimensioning, especially when I am in other user's plans that do not have defaults setup like I do.
I have dimension defaults for cabinets only, windows only, walls only, CAD only, 3 inch scale, etc and it is so easy for me to switch on the fly. I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Finally, I get to disagree with you(though only partially). I fully agree with the methodology of coaching users to use the active default tools, especially when they are all struggling to transition to SPV's, however, I have an incredibly powerful workflow for dimensioning where I switch my active dimension defaults depending on what I am planning on dimensioning, especially when I am in other user's plans that do not have defaults setup like I do.
I have dimension defaults for cabinets only, windows only, walls only, CAD only, 3 inch scale, etc and it is so easy for me to switch on the fly. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Would you have time to explain your workflow and setup with a video?  If not, no worries.

• Like 1

I have an incredibly powerful workflow for dimensioning where I switch my active dimension defaults depending on what I am planning on dimensioning, especially when I am in other user's plans that do not have defaults setup like I do.

Hey, Rene. I am always impressed by your ability to get soooo much more out of this software than I. But, like most things CA, your workflow would be a "disaster" applied to mine. The SPV's are a tremendous time saver for me, especially because of the saved defaults. With my aging memory I would totally destroy a set of plans if I was always changing defaults "on the fly." But, to each his own. Thanks for all of your valuable input of how you use this software.

I made a video better explaining this process

Interesting workflow, Rene. I can certainly see how you can save some valuable time using your system. Thanks for explaining the "working view;" that seems to tie everything together well. I also use a "working plan view" but usually only add things like dimensions as temporary dims during the design phase. If I add them too soon I will almost always have to move them around for condocs which takes even more time. The exterior dims I usually do auto after deleting any temp dims. Interior dims are another story altogether. Thanks again.