Symbols with no assigned materials problem

I was looking at some old symbols, that are "invisible" when placed in a plan because they have no assigned materials.  Every material in the Component Material list just says "default" but with no pattern and no texture, so if you place it in the plan, nothing shows.  What is weird though, is if I select one of the "defaults" and apply a material to it, then suddenly the other formerly blank default, now might show something like "Default Furniture Birch 3" even though I only changed the material for one of the defaults.  (See attached pics)  Aside from that, I'm wondering why there can be a "blank" default?  I looked in Default Settings / Materials and thought maybe there would be some item listed as "Default" that I could at least assign a color or something that would cause it to show up, but there wasn't. 

One image shows the original condition of the symbol with both materials showing as "Default."  The second image is after I changed one "Default" to Aluminum, and then the other default "on it's own" changed to the Default Furniture Birch 3.

I know how to fix the immediate issue - just assign materials, but was wondering if anyone else had run into this.  I also think Chief should have some way of dealing with this - maybe just to have some actual material named "Default" such that at least any object has visibility if placed into plan?  Or is there some bug involved in this behavior?

On a side note - it sure would be handy to have the ability to use the eyedropper tool to select a material in plan and then just spray paint it into the dialog box onto the "No Pattern/No Texture" boxes, instead of having to open Select Material/Select Plan or Library etc.  (BTW, I've already suggested that in the past)

2020 07 01 Symbols with default materials are blank.JPG2020 07 01 Symbols with default materials are blank 02.JPG

Is this just with the latest update ?   I think something might be up.  I have some walls that will not retain their materials.  They rebuild and the siding falls off and other layers and materials get scrambled.