Superscript Re-Sizing Font

EmmaCox

I'm trying to make window numbers with superscript in rich text. I've done this before and not sure why it's not working this time. I go into Microsoft Word, type out the numbers with the superscript, copy and paste into chief rich text but when I go to  re-size the fonts it makes the superscripts back to normal size (if that makes sense). I've also tried the Microsoft keyboard shortcut directly in the chief rich text by highlighting the number and pressing ctrl, shift and the plus sign at the same time but that's not working either.

Any thoughts on why this isn't working?

Microsoft Word.PNG

Pasted in Chief.PNG

Changed Font Size.PNG

Alt codes don't work, from google docs doesn't work, nothing seems to work, however you can use the transform/replicate tool to increase its size, but any change to the text within the text dialog box undoes the superscript format.

I use superscript characters quite often and have no problems doing so.  Most of my use is totally automated using custom macros but I enter manually sometimes too.  I suspect you’re not actually using the right characters.  I’m away from my computer and only on my phone, so this may or may not work, but try copying and pasting these...

⁰ ¹ ² ³ ⁴ ⁵ ⁶ ⁷ ⁸ ⁹

You can do superscript for 1, 2 and 3 using a Special Character Global Macro.

The catch is those three are the only numbers available.

Michael,

In your numbers posted, how come 1, 2 and 3 are at different heights? 

1 hour ago, glennw said:

You can do superscript for 1, 2 and 3 using a Special Character Global Macro.

The catch is those three are the only numbers available.

Michael,

I honestly don’t know.  I was just trying to post some options using my phone and wasn’t sure how they would show up.  I will say this though, superscript number quality, sizing, bearings, etc. can vary dramatically from one font to the next.  I usually use a custom font to get the display I want, but there are a small handful of fonts whose superscript numbers are pretty nice.  I’m away from my computer, but as I recall, Arial has one of the better examples.  See what those superscript numbers I posted look like in a few different fonts.  

3 hours ago, glennw said:

Michael,

Interesting that they look the same to me.  Are there different font options for the forum feed ?

I think it is Calibri for me displayed in Chrome.

I see this on the forum post:

687762945_ScreenShot2020-07-01at1_39_56pm.thumb.png.fe3821566958fe71311e37f572cef92a.png

and this after I copy and paste into a Chief text box:

1498237226_NewImage_69.thumb.jpg.bfd5ae705ce920fd7eb882ea82d8cef6.jpg

I am using Chief Blueprint on a mac.

Could there be a link between the macro's and what Michael posted?

Sorry not seeing that Glenn.  Maybe a Mac issue ?  What browser do you use ?  It pastes into Chief Rich Text as Arial and also works if converted to Chief Blueprint.... Also works fine as Standard Text.    Humm..... :wacko:

Just got back to my computer.  A few notes:

1. That MS Word superscript tool is not using real superscript characters.  It's just resizing standard characters.
  2. All those superscript numbers that I posted above look completely consistent on my Windows machine, but 1-3 look different than the rest on my iPhone when viewed in Safari, so it must be an Apple thing.  Having said that...
  3. They look completely consistent if I paste into any of the other apps on my iPhone. 

10 hours ago, EmmaCox said:

I'm trying to make window numbers with superscript in rich text. I've done this before and not sure why it's not working this time. I go into Microsoft Word, type out the numbers with the superscript, copy and paste into chief rich text but when I go to  re-size the fonts it makes the superscripts back to normal size (if that makes sense). I've also tried the Microsoft keyboard shortcut directly in the chief rich text by highlighting the number and pressing ctrl, shift and the plus sign at the same time but that's not working either.

Any thoughts on why this isn't working?

Emma, are you still only in X10 as your signature suggests?

For most situations where a person finds themselves manually entering these superscript labels, I think I could help you both automate and greatly speed up your workflow by writing you one or more custom text macros to handle the process.  Just send me over an email if you want to discuss further.  In the meantime, for anyone using X12 or newer who insists on entering these numbers manually, I just wrote a little utility macro that you can use right inside Chief to make the process a little quicker and I'm including it below for a limited time.  Unlike using MS Word, the converted results will use the true superscript characters.  Simply.....

1. Download the attached file
  2. Open Text Macro Management and Import the macro
  3. Select the macro, click Edit, and follow the included instructions to enter your desired text.  Simply preceed any numerical character that you want to be superscript with the caret symbol (^)
  4. Copy the results displayed in the New Result field
  5. Click Cancel
  6. Paste the results wherever desired

367458398_Step1.thumb.png.08ce06b5ac632b1efc0be4310b46e68e.png1406822871_Step2.thumb.png.98355abccca15a491dcbd60fd7c1f1ab.png

Again though, for most situations, it really can be automated a whole lot more so that you can spend less time typing and proofreading and more time drawing.  Just shoot me over an email if you want to discuss further.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I will say this though, superscript number quality, sizing, bearings, etc. can vary dramatically from one font to the next.

Just to give you an idea as to why I typically prefer Custom Fonts:

I don't t find standard superscript to be very readable, especially when the font sizes get really small (like window labels usually are)...

CF1.thumb.jpg.a2a05621cc328ff064d3724ab85af7ec.jpgCF2.thumb.jpg.de1e80be0174b6a05f65ea594d2c0565.jpg

Some fonts are much worse offenders than others...

CF3.thumb.jpg.292bb919b3961224d421dd873a48713d.jpg

...some just don't place the superscript high enough which makes them look a bit jumbly and stressful to read...

CF4.thumb.jpg.13c71c9ad7305a980e37f8207ec29b00.jpg

...and some just look funny...

CF5.thumb.jpg.c63eb0ac0e2ca59d627261d991328116.jpg

Michael, I tried copying the numbers you had posted above from your phone and they show up and resize fine, they just look very spaced out. The black numbers are what I had before when I was having no issues (from MS Word to Chief) compared to the blue which is the copied numbers from your phone.

Comparing.thumb.PNG.de8fbc42c0c688f727c57840759d4cd3.PNG

I'm using X9, although we have X10 and X12 here at work... I hate change haha!

I downloaded your attachment above and followed the steps, I don't have the "new result" field but it seems to be showing weird symbols rather than superscript.

Generator.thumb.PNG.bd9f345c9aa6793e32fd7e399a745971.PNG    1454015591_Generator2.thumb.PNG.e2a1f55d6a1014e39da3d7a7a25610c9.PNG

I have 2 chief files where I've done these window numbers before, I will try to make do and copy and paste what I can from those. I'm sure I have similar windows sizes so it shouldn't be a problem. I was just hoping there was an explanation why this all of a sudden wasn't working for me, just weird it's worked fine in the past! 

2 hours ago, EmmaCox said:

I downloaded your attachment above and followed the steps, I don't have the "new result" field but it seems to be showing weird symbols rather than superscript.

Generator.thumb.PNG.bd9f345c9aa6793e32fd7e399a745971.PNG    1454015591_Generator2.thumb.PNG.e2a1f55d6a1014e39da3d7a7a25610c9.PNG

I have 2 chief files where I've done these window numbers before, I will try to make do and copy and paste what I can from those. I'm sure I have similar windows sizes so it shouldn't be a problem. I was just hoping there was an explanation why this all of a sudden wasn't working for me, just weird it's worked fine in the past! 

Emma, give that a try in X12.  I believe there were some updates that allow it to work there but not in previous versions.

It's working in X12 (sorry I misread the message above from Michael explaining that). I copy the text from "new result" and open rich text, I set the font / size, and paste but then it changes it to arial automatically (which looks proportional) and then I go to change it to another font and it spaces out the numbers.

1339817908_GeneratorX12.thumb.PNG.f2c30e1adda400dddb801b297163d4ff.PNG

974435222_Paste1.PNG.2245f3521850e416c5e907826987abc4.PNG      808899032_FontChange.PNG.8d14e6f34dc138edf0765aa43450563b.PNG

4 hours ago, EmmaCox said:

have 2 chief files where I've done these window numbers before, I will try to make do and copy and paste what I can from those. I'm sure I have similar windows sizes so it shouldn't be a problem. I was just hoping there was an explanation why this all of a sudden wasn't working for me, just weird it's worked fine in the past! 

More likely than not, when you did it in the past, you pasted it directly into a Rich Text box that already had the number height set appropriately and so you never had to go through the resize process.  If you simply paste directly into the plan, it will come in at a size that is proportional to what it was in Word.  To get what you want, open a Rich Text box, set the number height appropriately, and then paste what you copied from Word.

As I stated above, that superscript tool in Word isn't actually using true superscript characters from the extended range, it's just making the normal characters smaller and repositioning them which is simply something Chief is not designed to do.  Chief allows you to paste with that formatting, but if you try to make any changes, Chief can only do so using it's own limited subset of formatting capabilities. 

13 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

To get what you want, open a Rich Text box, set the number height appropriately, and then paste what you copied from Word.

Just following along here Michael but a 12pt text pasted directly into plan view comes in at 6" while that same 12pt text pasted into a Rich Text DBX set to 6" comes in at 2 9/64".   User issue or Chief ?

8 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Just following along here Michael but a 12pt text pasted directly into plan view comes in at 6" while that same 12pt text pasted into a Rich Text DBX set to 6" comes in at 2 9/64".   User issue or Chief ?

Don't know.  Doesn't work that way for me.