plumbing vent lines

JoeinNorCal

Easy one for Sunday morning (at least in California)....  Suggestions for how to model plumbing vent pipes?  Only thing I've found so far are "cylinders," which I think would work pretty well.   Anybody with more experience have suggestions?   Venting in my current project is a bit of a challenge, so I would like to actually put into plan to share with all trades to avoid conflicts.

Use a 3D molding polyline and create your own round molding.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02882/using-3d-molding-polylines.html

How do you imagine showing this on the plans though?  
If you're going to use a single 3D view printed on the plans it would probably be faster to print the 3D view you'll see it in, then draw over the 3D view with a big fat red line to represent the vent pipe.  Not as cool looking, but you'll get the point across in far less time.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

cause you know the plumber will cut them out or go around.

You're joking right ? go around ???  hahahahaha , thankfully they banned Plumbers from using Chainsaws, not that a good Sawzall and fresh Blade can't create havoc for your local friendly Framer :)   

M.

2 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

How about a 3D symbol that will show up in every view.  Try this one out and let me know what you think.

Nothing like having one line up with a ceiling joist and roof rafter cause you know the plumber will cut them out or go around.

ABS Pipe 3 in 3D Vertical.calibz

Thanks that could be a handy symbol and much easier than a 3D molding polyline at least for a straight Vent Line...

image.thumb.png.3476caa12713b8571f368e99f2584d83.png

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Thanks that could be a handy symbol and much easier than a 3D molding polyline at least for a straight Vent Line...

It will at least show if you have a goofy roof penetration planned.   I have a few more but have not completed my library yet.

10 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

It will at least show if you have a goofy roof penetration planned.   I have a few more but have not completed my library yet.

I look forward to the complete Library with 90's,Tees, Wyes, and couplings :) 

I do however hope we are never required to do a 3D Plumbing "Plan" ......

M.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

I do however hope we are never required to do a 3D Plumbing "Plan"

If this were ever required, it could be (and would need to be) completely programmed. A user could specify the end point for the waste lines, and all the waste lines and vents could be programmed to find the most optimal path from each fixture.

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

If this were ever required, it could be (and would need to be) completely programmed. A user could specify the end point for the waste lines, and all the waste lines and vents could be programmed to find the most optimal path from each fixture.

You're right of course , I was thinking about the current state of the Software and how difficult it would be to place "Symbols" to do it and the fact you'd need to know the plumbing Code to place stuff correctly.

M.

You can go crazy and model it in exquisite 3D beauty in Chief, or outside Chief in something else.  Here is Sketchup and some DW, but not V.

Include a matching point in your model, import it into Chief, and stick it on your DWV layer.

2020-06-18_1611.png

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Very nice!... but who the heck pays for that kind of detail?

Only the person who has gone through the nightmare or not pre planning and never wants to experience that again.;)

I have seen main beams chainsawed out for duct work.  I just seems to happen somehow even though there is no excuse for it.

Here is the V scheme for the project.  Not the DW, just the V.  Two story house lower level walkout on slab, the venting all tied together to do one pop out the roof.

And a zoom in to show the fittings, exactly to spec per the Charlotte pipe catalog, to use at each bend or transition.  Those fittings are from the 3D Warehouse.

2020-06-29_1518.png

2020-06-29_1519.png

17 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Who pays for those exquisite interior renders with all the lighting adjustments, bump mapping, placement of Cuisinarts on counters, the precise fixtures all per the catalogs?

I wonder about that too  :)

18 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Here is the V scheme for the project.  Not the DW, just the V.  Two story house lower level walkout on slab, the venting all tied together to do one pop out the roof.

And a zoom in to show the fittings, exactly to spec per the Charlotte pipe catalog, to use at each bend or transition.  Those fittings are from the 3D Warehouse.

That's pretty slick Gene.  It just seems to me like it would take a lot of time to get all those pieces oriented correctly.
Do you do these layouts for every project that has plumbing?

I too like to have the vents all tied together so there's only one or two roof penetrations... and located on a rear facing roof plane.  

I do that DVW workout for a client who saves $$ having his own guys, primarily carpenters, run all the plumbing.  I get paid to do it, and the few hundred bucks is nothing compared to the fooling around, mistakes, and repeat trips to the plumbing supply house for more fittings.

All those DWV fittings I got from the 3D Warehouse have line center indexing points and turn intersect points modeled into them, so it is real easy to pop a fitting onto a turn in 3D.

I find the fittings exercise a fun and fascinating thing to do in 3D.  The turns at 90, 60, 45, and 22.5 degrees make it possible to meet any routing challenge.

The coolest thing is to find out why there exists a "1/6 bend," a.k.a. 60 degrees.