Creating double gable s

bmatth1

I am trying to create a double gable using PREMIER X12  Build roof - automatically build.  Hoping the auto build will eliminate the rafters below the ceiling, and clean it up inside.  Here is what I keep getting. Is there a way PREMIER X12 can auto build this double gable and clean it up automatically?  When I try using build planes, there is a lot of clean up to do - overhang below ceiling, gutter boards not matching up correctly, overhang not eliminated inside of porch roof.  I am hoping PREMIER X12 will have something in place to make this easier.  Using Build Roof, the automatic build keeps creating this large gable and the smaller one.  I would like to keep the original gable, above the large casement window, as shown in the picture,  and create the smaller gable over the porch, and create a cricket in the flat area between.  All of this being done automatically by PREMIER X12

image.thumb.png.3e2d2f3c476ee138cdf902ad97c9c01f.png 

Deck---Roof.jpg

4 hours ago, bmatth1 said:

Hoping the auto build will eliminate the rafters below the ceiling, and clean it up inside

Can't tell from your screenshot, but what I think I see in your first pic is a beam, not rafters.  If you don't want that beam you can specify so in your porch railing wall Dbx. 
As far as automatically building the roof the way you want it, it can't be done with one operation.  This would be a really simple roof to do manually, and that would be fastest for me, but you could do it mostly automatically by the following steps:

1) Autobuild the roof as in your first picture with the large gable. 

2) Copy the two roof planes over the front of your porch.

3) Open your porch room dbx, and under structure tell it 'no roof', then autobuild the roof again which should turn out exactly as in your 2nd picture. 

4) Now use paste/hold-position the porch roof you copied in step one and you'll just need to extend the left side of the porch roof plane back to the main roof.

5) Manually build the cricket.  

This is great information - thank you so much.  I tried to do it manually, and I get it pretty close.  Matching up the eave connection precisely, to get rid of the gutter board where it connects, is where I have a problem - getting the connection precise - any suggestions?  It seems like if I could move with the arrows - slowly and precisely, this would help - instead of snap movements.  Also - under the porch and inside the house where the overhang sticks below the ceiling - there is a lot of cleanup to do - eliminate overhangs, and more.  Thanks again. 

Manually, the roof design comes out great.  Note the following:

1. right eave boxed, left eave not boxed (both have same settings)

2. Need to clean up inside - remove overhangs - inside porch, and inside house

3. Gutterboard not looking right at intersection - should be clean inside corner

image.thumb.png.0d4cb4c69d36fd49eda1dd144dde0441.pngimage.thumb.png.3444065561746dda191377b3783d052d.pngimage.thumb.png.84d988c6753cd86d7731518bbe3c51c2.pngimage.png.a4c5a08b590aee830138212316112900.png

image.thumb.png.1e92f0b2f49cfbd141849edac3cf709d.png

10 minutes ago, bmatth1 said:

Matching up the eave connection precisely, to get rid of the gutter board where it connects, is where I have a problem

That 'gutter board' is called the fascia.  The roof Dbx has a very precise way to adjust the fascia height (if that is what you're asking about?) you can enter the height to any fraction of an inch.   To actually build the roof the way you are planning, the overhang on the existing roof adjacent to the new porch would normally be cut back flush to the wall and the new porch rafters would rest on the same wall.  Select the edge of the existing roof adjacent to the porch and drag it back to the wall so there is no overhang. Open the roof dbx and under 'Gutter' select OFF.   You can also control whether there's fascia or not via the 'structure' panel of the roof dbx.   For the porch roof you will have to create a break in the roof overhang on the side adjacent to existing gable, and drag the overhang back to the wall... turn off the gutter for that section of roof. (When you select the roof, the selection handle that is highlighted is the part that the gutter will turn off if you select OFF when you open the Dbx

11 minutes ago, bmatth1 said:

1. right eave boxed, left eave not boxed (both have same settings)

2. Need to clean up inside - remove overhangs - inside porch, and inside house

3. Gutterboard not looking right at intersection - should be clean inside corner

1. You'll need to upload your plan for me to check your boxed vs. non-boxed eave. 

2. Per my previous email... use the break tool to break the roof where you need to remove the overhang, then pull it back to the wall and turn off the gutter.

3. Once you remove the overhang everywhere it should be removed you will have the 'clean' corner.

Do you want your porch roof to be vaulted or have a flat ceiling?  

If you want vaulted cln'g you'll want to build an attic wall at the back of your porch.
Didn't you want to get rid of the drop beams around the porch?

26 minutes ago, solver said:

Nice video as always Eric.  I learned something new with the roof groups setting... thank you for sharing that.
Only issue (if it's important to the OP) is that your solution will not show as over-framing in a framing plan/3D-view.   
Granted, over-framing doesn't show quite correctly anyway!... .but closer to reality.

Is there a way to build the cricket on top of the roof, and create a polyline solid for the attic wall inside the porch at the end?  Everything else worked out great, thanks to everyone's inspirational advice.

image.thumb.png.c72559bed5ccf25662ba5fc24ceeea8e.pngimage.thumb.png.c94bce520f77743b7b63bb5de936ddfe.pngimage.thumb.png.64d0362362b3fdfd9b69003ceaaca083.pngimage.thumb.png.35de6f5a540f14fb0b4ac5272db42076.png

22 minutes ago, bmatth1 said:

Is there a way to build the cricket on top of the roof, and create a polyline solid for the attic wall inside the porch at the end?  Everything else worked out great, thanks to everyone's inspirational advice.

To build the attic wall you don't need a p-solid, you can just build a wall as per usual.  Go up a floor to your attic.  Turn on Reference Display so you can see your main floor walls... and then draw a wall over the top of the wall where you need your attic wall.  Select that wall and open the Dbx.. then check the box for Attic Wall.

For the cricket, Eric (Solver) kinda showed you how in his video.  Do you know how to draw a manual roof plane?  If so, start drawing one right where the two roofs come together make it just a foot wide and pull it back a little ways.  Open that roofs Dbx, lock the baseline and give it a 3:12 slope.  Go back to roof plan view and shape its front into a point at the correct location.  Extend it back to the main roof and shape it as needed.

The saddle worked great!  Thanks for the video.  However, as noted in the first image - plan view - I cannot seem to get the saddle attached to the main roof so I can do the clean up as in the video.  Can this be the cause of the framing lumber showing in the vaulted area?

image.thumb.png.204d106af8cce4b2f64d759e54637781.pngimage.thumb.png.5e29181712eafbc4076bad793632008c.pngimage.thumb.png.fc992b8f08c555dcba040f881db08a17.pngimage.thumb.png.007d02421fb84d2baa26149f975d9653.png

16 minutes ago, bmatth1 said:

When I select the rear roof plane, it does not look the same as the video

Don't worry about this... that is because Eric shows the new roof building into the existing roof rather than over it.  You have it right.  Leave the cricket roof as you have it, but return the new deck roof to the shape it was before you joined it with the cricket.

cricket.JPG

3 minutes ago, bmatth1 said:

I dragged the bottom of the plane and snapped it back to original position

Perfect.  That's how it's done.  
Are you finished?  You may want to give your posts and beams some paint rather than pressure treated lumber?