Disappearing dimensions

uremodel2014

Im hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I'm working on a full home remodeling project. I have elevations that are sent to layout. After working on door and window schedules, I happened to notice that all my elevation dimensions are not showing on the layout page. When I click on the elevation, it links me back to the camera view and the dimensions are there. I thought maybe I had the dimensions layer turned off on the plan or layout page. Nope, both are on. Still not showing.

Then I tried sending the elevation to layout again and the dimensions came along with it and stayed. If I cant figure out why the dimensions wont show on layout page, I will have to delete and re-send every elevation. anyone have a clue they would be willing to share?

Thanks,

1 hour ago, uremodel2014 said:

Im hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I'm working on a full home remodeling project. I have elevations that are sent to layout. After working on door and window schedules, I happened to notice that all my elevation dimensions are not showing on the layout page. When I click on the elevation, it links me back to the camera view and the dimensions are there. I thought maybe I had the dimensions layer turned off on the plan or layout page. Nope, both are on. Still not showing.

Then I tried sending the elevation to layout again and the dimensions came along with it and stayed. If I cant figure out why the dimensions wont show on layout page, I will have to delete and re-send every elevation. anyone have a clue they would be willing to share?

Thanks,

Just a guess here since you don't show any pictures of dbx for the layout but you most likely have a saved plan view problem where the layout was referencing a different saved plan view. Other issue may be how you have your layer sets/defaults setup.  It sounds like it is pointing towards another view.  But sorry hard to tell without seeing what you are talking about.

I didn't realize that the Layout DBX would have helped you.

The plan file was linked correctly. When I clicked on the elevation, it took me to the plan that was intended. I tried re-linking and updating, but it did not help. Ended up re-sending elevations to layout. Its probably my error, I just hope it doesn't happen again. I do appreciate the attempt at helping though.

Sincerely,

Mike

Just to clarify, Saved Plan Views are not used for elevation views.

My best guess is that your dimensions were not visible because your layout box was too small.  Layout boxes are automatically sized at the time you send a view to layout based on what is currently visible.  If you add something to the view later, it may not show up on the layout because it is outside of the box.  Usually just selecting the box gives you a good indication of whether or not this is happening.  You can always resize the box to show more or less data at any time without having to resend the view.

There are a number of other reasons you could have an issue with things not showing up on a layout but this is probably the most common.  In the future, I would recommend that you post a picture of what you are seeing or the actual plan and layout files.

And, as always, if all else fails, you can always contact our tech support team during our normal business hours.

ok, I was not sure exactly what to post. I'm having the same issue with this again. My dimensions have disappeared on my layout page. When I double click on the section box, it brings me back to the correct section from the correct plan. The problem is that the layer display options layer sets has changed to default. it should be section. That's what it was originally sent as. So, when I change the view back to section view, my dimensions reappear as should be. Then I try to refresh layout page, but still no dimensions. When I resent the view to layout, the dimensions stick.  I can make it happen, it just does. I have now sent all sections back to layout and everything seems fine again for now. Im assuming its something im doing, but I really have no idea. I did not change any of my section views to default. Maybe there is a preference or default setting that's screwing with me? I'm happy to post anything anyone would like to look at. If not, its off to tech support. Or maybe Dan Baumann if he's still available.

Layout view no Dims.jpg

Layout view linked plan.jpg

Layout view re-sent and dims show.jpg

Michael, What version are you using? I thought there were older versions where there was a check box to send as new layout set or something like that, where every time you sent a view to layout it would create a new default set? Might not be remembering that correctly but when sending your view to layout see if that check box is there for a new default set. If it is make sure it is not checked. If you are using X12 then not much help I'm afraid.

18 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Michael, What version are you using? I thought there were older versions where there was a check box to send as new layout set or something like that, where every time you sent a view to layout it would create a new default set? Might not be remembering that correctly but when sending your view to layout see if that check box is there for a new default set. If it is make sure it is not checked. If you are using X12 then not much help I'm afraid.

That was my thought too Larry..... I think they removed that in X9 or X10 ( I had long since disabled it though) but Michael has not updated his Forum Signature with the version in Use.

11 minutes ago, uremodel2014 said:

Version 12. Sorry, I will update my profile now.

My send to layout does not look like yours....

2020-07-04.png

You have X12  ( v22 ) not V12 ( there was no version 12, that was X2) .......... looking at your pic.....

and the Send to Layout , with the Option to make a new Layout Set Option Box Larry posted was removed several versions ago, we both thought you maybe using an Older Version than the latest.

Im assuming its something im doing, but I really have no idea. 

I'm pretty sure it's something you are doing, as opposed to some program bug, but I'm not really sure what.  When you send an elevation or cross section view to layout, the layout box keeps track of the plan and the camera view that you sent.  The camera then keeps track of the layer set you are using.  This is usually a pretty robust system.  I think I remember some bugs in the past when we switched to the extended character set where people using strange file and layer set names had some issues but I think these have all been worked out.

I am going to assume that you are keeping all of the views that you send to layout as separate saved camera views.  If not, then this may be the source of your problems.  One saved camera view for each layout box is the way that I recommend people work.

I am going to assume that you did not delete or rename any layer sets.  If you delete a layer set that you used for a layout box, this will cause the program to switch to some other layer set.

I am going to assume that you are not doing a save as or relinking your layout boxes to different plan files.  If you are, you may be linking them to versions of the plan files that don't have the layer sets which causes the program to switch them back to some other layer set.

I can't think of anything else that would be obvious.  You could try posting your layout and plan files and someone here might be willing to look at them.  I'm not sure if they will be able to tell anything though because they will probably see that your layout is linked to a saved camera that is using a layer set that you don't want.  The current state of the files probably won't show anyone how you got into that state.

I recommend that you try to pay close attention to everything you are doing to try and figure out how you are getting into this state.  On your layout page, you can verify that your views are using the correct cameras with the correct layer sets by opening them from the layout page.

If all else fails, please feel free to contact our technical support team during our normal business hours.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Dermot.

Sorry about the Version12 versus X12.

Dermot,

Your assumptions are correct and im inclined to believe it is something I've done. I just cant for the life of me figure out what. I've been sending views to layouts for 20 years now and never had this problem. I love the program and appreciate the help. Probably wont figure it out on this one, but if It happens on the next plan and plan set, I will have to get some professional help (which my wife says I need anyway.. lol).

Have a great holiday everyone and thanks to those who have lent their 2 cents.

Be safe,

Mike

11 minutes ago, uremodel2014 said:

Sorry about the Version12 versus X12.

No problem , sorry if that came over wrong..... but sometimes the Version Influences the answer which is why we recommend people put it in their Signature , I suspect you had X8 not V8 too ( 5 years ago?)

M. 

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

That was my thought too Larry..... I think they removed that in X9 or X10 ( I had long since disabled it though) but Michael has not updated his Forum Signature with the version in Use.

That screen shot was from a video tutorial using X8 so maybe so?

No worries Mick. The error was mine. At the beginning of my thread, I was asked to update my signature page and didn't complete it as I should have.

Thanks again for everyone who has helped and if I figure out what's happening, I will post back.

Be well....

3 hours ago, uremodel2014 said:

Thanks again for everyone who has helped and if I figure out what's happening, I will post back.

That would be great thx.....I see so many posts on Forums with no real resolutions at the end as People don't post back with a yes it worked ! :)   (or not...)

M.