Plans, Schedules and Layouts

DeltaHome

Using Chief Architect X12 Premiere.  This is from my DELTAHOME. plan which I created with a custom Layer set called "Doors, Windows & Flood Vents."  I also created a Custom Schedule limited to doors, windows and a custom item called Flood Vents, and then inserted the schedule on the bottom of the Plan and added a rich text note under the Schedule's Comment colums then sent this Plan to Layout.

image.thumb.png.1fcd592fe2761b67c5524823b5bf35a0.png

So far so good (based on my limited knowledge and experience with the program).

Now with that complete I want to move on to Walls by changing my Layer set to Walls (or some such thing) and then add a Wall Schedule to the Plan and then send that Plan with Schedule to Layout.

Problem:  On my Plan, when change my Layer set to Walls, my "Doors, Windows & Flood Vents" schedule still appears.  But I don't want it there because I want to create a Wall Schedule and have it appear in its place.  If I delete the Doors, Windows & Flood Vents schedule, it also deletes it from my Layout.

Question:  How do I prepare and keep Plans/Layouts with only their appropriate Schedules on them?

First off...everything you see when you are drawing is controlled by "layers".  Therefore...what layer set did you use when you created your plan "doors, windows & flood vents"?  Possibly you should copy that set and create a new set called "walls".  Then go through and turn on/off the layers you want to see. 

To help us all...why don't you post the plan so we can see what you are doing.  It keeps us from guessing...

There are more advanced methods that you will learn later on as you get more experience but for now just create a Schedules, Doors Layer and turn that off in your Walls Layerset.  Same with your Wall Schedule, create a Schedule, Walls layer and have it off in your Doors Layerset.

Welcome to  ChiefTalk. :)

Chopsaw that sounds perfect!  However my Doors, Windows & Flood Vents Layerset does not appear in my Walls Layerset so I cannot turn it off.

Appears that I missed a step in creating my Doors, Windows & Flood Vents Layerset?   It appears as a separate Layerset, just not as a layer item under the Walls Layerset.

How do I turn it off while working in the Walls Layerset?

@DeltaHome Let's just make this process way easier for you, as getting into layersets, if unfamiliar, can be very confusing at first.

Open your project browser-this button:showPlanViews.png.48a29622ceb6af40d7e10322cef89f84.png Navigate to your plan file.

There will be a CAD folder under your plan file. Right click the CAD folder, click on "create new CAD detail" and name it according to the schedule you are going to place.

With your new detail open, place whatever schedule you need. Send this view to layout.

Repeat this process for every other schedule you need. Leave schedules on the schedule layer.

No need for messing with layersets with this method.

• Like 2

@Renerabbitt  Excellent!  I did it!  So, am I correct that the new page in my Layout file which BTW has a title called "Doors, Windows & Flood Vents"  will NOT update automatically, because it is a CAD drawing now, not a "Layout" which is "dynamically" linked to the Plan?

If so, that is absolutely fine with me, because at my level of understanding I truly do need to keep things simple.

Thank you Renerabbitt, and thank you to all here!

I will carry on until I hit the next obstacle...

13 minutes ago, DeltaHome said:

Renerabitt:  Excellent!  I did it!  So, am I correct that the new page in my Layout file which BTW has a title called "Doors, Windows & Flood Vents"  will NOT update automatically, because it is a CAD drawing now, not a "Layout" which is "dynamically" linked to the Plan?

If so, that is absolutely fine with me, because at my level of understanding I truly do need to keep things simple.

Thank you Renerabbitt, and thank you to all here!

I will carry on until I hit the next obstacle...

It will update, as you add additional architectural elements to your schedule, the schedule will continue to update as it should. Keep in mind you should expand the containing box in your layout in case the schedule does increase in size as chief will not automate that task for you in layout. Now that you've managed that, I  would suggest splitting your vent schedule from your window schedule

• Like 1

@RenerabbittOK so the Layout files continue to update as the Plan is updated (I will also manually update the Layout file). 

But in the Project Browser under there is a file called DELTAHOME.Layout > CAD Details > in which there is a file called "Doors, Windows & Flood Vents" which is static correct?

Because when I deleted my schedule from the Plan it also deleted from the Doors, Windows & Flood Vents Layout page but did not delete the schedule from the CAD Details page.

If I understand it correctly, I can work with it.  Thank you.

1 minute ago, DeltaHome said:

@RenerabbittOK so the Layout files continue to update as the Plan is updated (I will also manually update the Layout file). 

But in the Project Browser under there is a file called DELTAHOME.Layout > CAD Details > in which there is a file called "Doors, Windows & Flood Vents" which is static correct?

Because when I deleted my schedule from the Plan it also deleted from the Doors, Windows & Flood Vents Layout page but did not delete the schedule from the CAD Details page.

If I understand it correctly, I can work with it.  Thank you.

I would never use the CAD detail folder in layout. I would put your schedules in the CAD folder under plans. 
Schedules you place in CAD details are live schedules. They will auto update which, conversely, will auto update in layout. 

• Like 1

I have the sill plate checked on the wall dialog for two 7 1/2" sill plates.

I have all the wall items checked on in the active layer set.

I have all the framing items checked on the active layer set including "Framing, Sill Plates."

I cannot get the sill plate to show.

image.thumb.png.c7519a8cf3f9bf17438f515f0f0515ab.png

image.thumb.png.cd43975aa135e852261569adeb2b3adb.png

image.thumb.png.95d015cb301f4b38c4baf5412bf97ff1.png

FYI, there is a stem wall below this wall to which the footing is attached.

However, even if I click the "Foundation" box on the wall setting, the sill plate will not show.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

8 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Is the framing sill plate turned on in that camera  views DBX 

Good catch Perry.  The Aldo view shown looks to be like the one you are using in your plan 2d view and not your 3d view which uses whatever layerset/defaults you have set for that camera.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, DeltaHome said:

I cannot get the sill plate to show.

EVERY camera view has it OWN ALDO settings , ie Plan, Elevations, All 3D Cameras etc etc and the Layer must be on in them all.....   if you can't see something , switch the layerset to All ON  , open the object and see which layer it is on , switch back to the Original Layerset from All On , and ensure the Layer for the "missing" Object is On ie checked with blue mark in the DISP column in the ALDO  ( Active Layer Display Options).

M.

As Eric said, It is usually best to post new, and unrelated questions in new threads.

The two most common reasons that a framing member would not show up in a camera view is that you either have not built the framing or that the layer it is on is turned off in the camera view.  There are lots of other reasons a particular framing piece might not build though.  So If you want any thing other than random guesses, you would need to post the plan file.

And, as always, if all else fails, you can contact our technical support team during our normal business hours.

• Like 1

To All:  I will respectfully post each problem in its own thread in the future. 

However, I am very reluctant to post up my entire plan for privacy concerns.

@Dermot  Ding, ding, ding.  We have a winner!  And it is Dermot!

Before:

image.thumb.png.bd1512e05b17cf1fbdd31841ba524c0a.png

After clicking Build Framing with Build Subfloor for Second Floor box checked:

image.thumb.png.c894db53cad4d1c717c9066b8d02a538.png

You can see that letting the program build the floor did, in fact, cause the sill plates to show on at least the West Wall and in the Divider Wall (not shown).

But it unfortunately put the 2"x12" floor platform only under the house proper which is structurally unsound.

An existing 2-story house is being raised and will be lowered onto the to-be-constructed 2"x12" platform depicted first above. I am solving the need to have the existing house higher than the side Balconies by adding a 2"x4" platform on top of the 2"x12" platform and under the existing house footprint.

image.thumb.png.3c115db9e6a6b3966002d97f5bddb4c3.png

Any suggestions for getting sill plates to show without letting the program build the 2-floor ceiling?

Or should I let the program build the 2-floor ceiling and then turn off auto rebuilds and then manually rebuild the framing?

And, thank you to all for your generous help.

I just sent this as an apology to a member here because, while binge watching CA tutorials and devouring threads to jump start my learning, I asked a direct question about a member's statement which was contained in, but was tangential to, the thread's topic.

I now understand and appreciate how single topic you desire your threads to be.  And I will respect and honor that.

So, I might as well post my apology here as a blanket apology to the group.  (Especially, when in other threads I realized that @Dermot is the Principal Software Engineer for CA.)  

Here goes:

"Thank you for your patience.

My highest use on any forum is to be the person who asks the stupid questions.

Which I am not afraid to do here but I won't do until I have done my research to see if I can find the solution first.

I have many questions but need to parcel them out so as not to wear out my welcome.

Your statement that Elevations should not be created from Saved Plan Views was enlightening.  So I jumped on it.

I am watching tutorials and exhausted from trying to get these construction drawings done, properly.

This is a magnificent program by the way.  Simply an outstanding work of creation.

Thank you for your help."

Carry on.  And again thank you all again for your help.

(And watch for more stupid questions. . .)