Is it possible to make this arched doorway is Chief?

Verica

Hello,
a newbie again.

I was wondering if you could explain if it is possible to make this type of door just by Chief tools? I've found only one topic but it was 5 years ago and the process of modeling wasn't described. I'm not even sure it was done in Chief.

Would you mull it out of elements or model from a blank list?

Thanks in advance.

Old-World-Custom-Wood-Door.jpg

7 minutes ago, robdyck said:

It's definitely possible. Some components will need to be modeled using various items like solids, shapes, moldings, etc. But it can be done!

I wish there was even a short textual description, how... I have found a video about how to make a custom panel door in chief and it was quite easy. But this... How much effort and time it would take? 

Should I start with making a polyline arc and then "inserting" windows there? In Sketchup I once made a sidelight and then bended it. I doubt it would be possible here.

1 minute ago, Verica said:

I wish there was even a short textual description

I do believe it would be a lengthy description! Start with a CAD drawing for guidance...copy the picture into a cad detail, resize the pic so the door slab is 8' tall, then trace over it with CAD tools. That will give you a great starting point. You can replicate the cad lines / shapes to convert them into solids or moldings in an elevation view.

• Like 1

Here's the plan with door. A pretty good starting point for 2 minutes of effort. To clean this thing up...convert to fixture...delete surfaces...convert to fixture. When complete, place the fixture onto the wall and either create a hole in the wall or use a blank doorway (no components) with a roundtop arch in the same location.

Fix the inside.plan

• Like 1

16 hours ago, robdyck said:

Here's the plan with door. A pretty good starting point for 2 minutes of effort. To clean this thing up...convert to fixture...delete surfaces...convert to fixture. When complete, place the fixture onto the wall and either create a hole in the wall or use a blank doorway (no components) with a roundtop arch in the same location.

Fix the inside.plan

Rob - nice work for a quick look.  But - don't open the door!  But really...for an elevation view it's fantastic!

• Like 1

3 components: 2 windows and a door all in the same location.

Thanks, it was a pretty good way although it needs some additional work, the idea is simple and effective. I will stick to it.

Although the opened door and the back elevation look much less nice. 

You can't modify 3d symbols in Chief, can you? 

17 hours ago, solver said:

Quick experiment. It would take extra work to make the grain direction correct.

ct1.thumb.png.d1078fde1e8e2b445d0a971d06bec466.png

Using solids, right?

Are you still using the trial?

Yeah, considering whether to rent.

Chief doesn't seem so flexible and user-friendly as it was recommended to me. But I used to work in Sketchup and a Rhino a bit. 

I will ask a couple of questions and then decide.

Dave over at Chieftutor.com has some with video on how to make them

It seems just what I was looking for. I hope it is not too long.