My Biggest Chief Architect Issue. Dragging the Cursor.

BeachHouse1

Been holding off talking about this.  I've been able to adapt to the changes from AutoCad Architecture fairly well so far.  With one major exception.  

The drag the cursor work flow.  This method has some serious shortcomings. 

I know you can right click when making walls and this allows you to click a point and then click another point.  This is good, but you can't start out with a right click.  The biggest problem is when you need to zoom in on one thing select it and then zoom in on another.  This is extremely difficult when dragging. 

What have some of you done to work around this, or is there a setting somewhere to changes it?

Thanks

Occasionally I do find myself scrolling in an awkward way with my middle finger but as you get more experience you will get used to selection and zoom settings even thought they are not all perfectly intuitive.

I agree, I’ve suggested that Chief provide us a quick method to switch to click-release-click but so far we’re stuck using a few goofy workarounds.  My currently preferred method is:

1.  Click and drag to start operation

2.  Shift+Z (Zoom) during drag

3.  Press either Center Mouse Wheel (Pan) or optionally the Escape key

4.  Pan and zoom as desired (NOTE: If you’re panning anyway, which you likely are if you’re employing the trick, then the step above isn't even necessary)

5.  Click again to finish

You can customize your hotkeys to make the operation pretty easy but for me, the OOB ones actually work just fine.  Anyway, it’s not as easy as it could be, but it’s something.  

This has come up before.  I think most recently in this suggestion which you might give your +1 to if you like the idea:

ALSO:   In addition to Michael's suggestions above you can get a very helpful extra powerful zoom speed from your mouse wheel by holding down the Ctrl key while using the scroll wheel.    Props to Rene Rabbitt for sharing that tip a ways back.

4 hours ago, BeachHouse1 said:

Been holding off talking about this.  I've been able to adapt to the changes from AutoCad Architecture fairly well so far.  With one major exception.  

The drag the cursor work flow.  This method has some serious shortcomings. 

I know you can right click when making walls and this allows you to click a point and then click another point.  This is good, but you can't start out with a right click.  The biggest problem is when you need to zoom in on one thing select it and then zoom in on another.  This is extremely difficult when dragging. 

What have some of you done to work around this, or is there a setting somewhere to changes it?

Thanks

Aside from us goofing around, it may be news to you that you can change selection modes in your preferences or by adding the 3 selection modes to your toolbars. Selection modes coupled with the Marquee Select Similar tool makes it so that I never need to zoom in to select what I want to. Not to mention deselection tricks, @Alaskan_Son favorite thing to talk about ;)

• 2 years later...

Good morning,

This is a reply to an old topic, but I was unsure if there was ever any conclusion.  I have to agree with the original post about how awkward it is to hold down the mouse button and zoom with the scroll wheel at the same time.  (In my case, I really notice it when doing CAD polylines).

Is there a setting that allows "click release" behavior, or is that counter to Chief's method?

I use a trackball, so I wonder if that makes things more difficult.

Thanks again,

Jim

24 minutes ago, JKEdmo said:

This is a reply to an old topic, but I was unsure if there was ever any conclusion.

Yes.  Chief doesn't work this way and they have yet to provide any setting that allows us to do so.  The best replacement option that I know of continues to be the method I mentioned earlier in the thread:

On 6/26/2020 at 9:09 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

4.  Pan and zoom as desired (NOTE: If you’re panning anyway, which you likely are if you’re employing the trick, then the step above isn't even necessary)

Again, you can customize your hotkeys if desired to make the operation easier, but the basics are the same. 

14 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yes.  Chief doesn't work this way and they have yet to provide any setting that allows us to do so.  The best replacement option that I know of continues to be the method I mentioned earlier in the thread:

On 6/26/2020 at 10:09 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

I'll take a closer look at your answer in detail.  Being new to the software, I have a lot of questions, especially relative to the software I come from.  But, I will try to adapt!

Jim