Joist Hangers

bmatth1

Yep...check out "Simpson Strong Tie"...in the manufacturers library.  1st folder listed is 3D object...there are hangers in the catalog.  Placing them at the correct elevation can be tricky...but once you get one in the right place you can use "multiple copy"...or, "transform replicate" and duplicate as needed.

2020-06-24_20-58-04.thumb.png.dab444a8593fc7aaf8288595d831fa15.png  

5 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Good one Michael.  I never think about using that tool...

Yeah, it’s useful for a lot of random things. Another example I use it for is for closet rod plan view display.  I have a CAD block with I think four pieces of randomly position hangers/clothing.  I assign that CAD Block to a distribution line and then just copy and paste that around my plan and resize as necessary.  That’s just a simple one though. There are tons of other pretty great applications.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yeah, it’s useful for a lot of random things. Another example I use it for is for closet rod plan view display.  I have a CAD block with I think four pieces of randomly position hangers/clothing.  I assign that CAD Block to a distribution line and then just copy and paste that around my plan and resize as necessary.  That’s just a simple one though. There are tons of other pretty great applications.

Great tip as usual from you Michael.  Thanks so much!

OK found it:

Distributed Objects

The Distributed Object tools allow you to place multiple copies of an object in an evenly spaced array, either within a region or along a path. Select Build> Distributed Object to access these tools.

6 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

The Distributed Object tools allow you to place multiple copies of an object in an evenly spaced array,

Or a random array. Great for planting beds...random sizes, rotations and locations.

2 hours ago, ACADuser said:

OK found it:

Distributed Objects

The Distributed Object tools allow you to place multiple copies of an object in an evenly spaced array, either within a region or along a path. Select Build> Distributed Object to access these tools.

Definitely comes in handy sometimes.  Random example is I was working on a faux victorian style home and they wanted a decorative railing above a small non-parapet roof trim where putting an actual railing would not work correctly due to the actual roof placement.  Distribution line and a molding line for the railing, quick and simple. :)

17 hours ago, SNestor said:

Great tip as usual from you Michael.  Thanks so much!

You're more than welcome.  Here's another one...Add an arrow to your Distribution Path and connect it to the appropriate object(s) to get automated resizing of said path...

455773728_Joisthangerswithdistributionpath.thumb.gif.da2bd2d64b09e8d95f171bb7770e6cfc.gif

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You're more than welcome.  Here's another one...Add an arrow to your Distribution Path and connect it to the appropriate object(s) to get automated resizing of said path...

Ain't that the neatest trick! And you can marquee select the distribution path and add it to the library! LU210's are at the same height on almost every plan I do so this is very cool way to add hangers super fast.

9 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Ain't that the neatest trick! And you can marquee select the distribution path and add it to the library! LU210's are at the same height on almost every plan I do so this is very cool way to add hangers super fast.

Change the CAD Block for those hangers and then you're really in business...

Hangers.thumb.jpg.a55c2164594cf41ff4f60123b9f049ba.jpg

On 6/25/2020 at 11:24 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

Add an arrow to your Distribution Path and connect it to the appropriate object(s) to get automated resizing of said path...

That looks very cool, but I'm slow on the uptake...  little help?  You're not talking about the 'include arrow' option within the distribution path dbx are you? 
I don't see an arrow in your animated example

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yes.  I am.

Ahh.. now I get it.  Before I questioned you I had tried the arrow but it didn't seem like it did anything... I couldn't see the arrow.  I was expecting it to come off like a leader.  Now I see it is the same position as the distribution path.   Very nice... thx for the tip!

2 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Ahh.. now I get it.  Before I questioned you I had tried the arrow but it didn't seem like it did anything... I couldn't see the arrow.  I was expecting it to come off like a leader.  Now I see it is the same position as the distribution path.   Very nice... thx for the tip!

The distribution path dialog actually allows you to add an arrow (which by the way you can make the invisible arrow style or a zero size), however you can take advantage of the connective behavior of arrows for pretty much any open polyline based object by adding the arrow before you convert your polyline to something else.

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The distribution path dialog actually allows you to add an arrow (which by the way you can make the invisible arrow style or a zero size), however you can take advantage of the connective behavior of arrows for pretty much any open polyline based object by adding the arrow before you convert your polyline to something else.

Thanks, that's definitely going to keep my brain cells busy thinking about the possibilities.  I was still playing with this newfound leader ability... adding segments, curving... it's a really powerful tool.