SKYLIGHT SCHEDULE?

Treehouse2339

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Start with Help, search custom schedules. Open the fixture, schedule tab, Include in schedule as:... pretty simple from there.

After you convert a Skylight to a Exterior Fixture Symbol I presume ?  or are you doing something else ? The Skylight Symbols never seem to work the best for me.

M.

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

After you convert a Skylight to a Exterior Fixture Symbol I presume ?  or are you doing something else ? The Skylight Symbols never seem to work the best for me.

M.

I brought in my own symbol, one that's much more accurate. I used a polyline for the hole, and another symbol for the shaft liner and casing (made of 2 moldings). There's no question they are a real PITA to deal with. Section views are crucial, and the transform/replicate tool is the best way to move them into exact position. Cad boxes, lines, polylines help derive the exact distancing for placement.

It would be so much easier if one could slide them up/down a roof plane and drag to resize, just like a window in a wall. Someday maybe...

14 minutes ago, robdyck said:

It would be so much easier if one could slide them up/down a roof plane and drag to resize, just like a window in a wall. Someday maybe...

Yes that's the part that is a Killer with your own Symbol ....well the whole process you describe above actually , way too much work that shouldn't be needed.

M

Just now, Kbird1 said:

Yes that's the part that is a Killer with your own Symbol ....well the whole process you describe above actually , way too much work that shouldn't be needed.

M

It's absolutely terrible. I had an A-Frame project with quite a few skylights and I think there were 3 different sizes. It was torture trying to get them all right. It probably takes 10x longer than it should.

32 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Section views are crucial, and the transform/replicate tool is the best way to move them into exact position. Cad boxes, lines, polylines help derive the exact distancing for placement.

It can be a lot easier than what you're doing.  For starters, use CAD Detail From View to get a couple snap points and simply use Point To Point to position.  Also, don't forget you can set a Symbol's Elevation Reference to From Roof.  The 2D Block will be wrong, but it does provide one way to get an automatically rotated symbol at least.  You can then select that rotated symbol, Convert Selected To Symbol>Add To Library, select the original, Replace From Library (or simply place manually), take an elevation view, CAD Detail From View, draw a line From/To, Cut, switch back to Elevation View, Paste Hold Position, select the symbol, Point To Point Move, and use the 2 ends of the aforementioned line.  

By the way, this is one operation of many that could benefit from my suggested Convert To Symbol In Place functionality...

It also highlights another issue...that Flush Mounted items do not create accurate 2D blocks.  You could set the Elevation Reference to From Roof and then replace the 2D Block yourself, but that would take just as much time as the other method if not more.  I agree...it should be easier.

• 3 weeks later...

A tip I got from this forum years ago is to create a library of 'skylight windows' with the appropriate size and label. 

I use Chiefs skylights in plan and elevation.  I drop the 'skylight window' into the plan in an unseen wall (usually on the attic level).  The callout then shows in my window schedule and I manually add the callout to my plan and elevation.  Not perfect, but once you set them up, it's less of a workaround to get the proper look and accuracy.

I do wish Chief would give us full functioning skylights.

On 8/3/2020 at 8:28 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

It also highlights another issue...that Flush Mounted items do not create accurate 2D blocks

I've been asking CA to fix this for at least 6 years.  It's been one of my most requested fixes. 

However, it's not just Skylights.  It's true for all surface mounted objects on slope roofs.  Try to place a Solar Panel for example - the 2D block should automatically be adjusted to show the true vertical projection but it isn't.

• Upvote 1