Required # of Parking Spaces

I know this is a silly question but, is the required number of parking spaces generally spelled out in local zoning ordinances on a jurisdiction by jurisdiction basis?  I have heard it's usually calculated and based on occupant load but, I am wondering if the required number spaces varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction?

1 hour ago, ComputerMaster86 said:

I know this is a silly question but, is the required number of parking spaces generally spelled out in local zoning ordinances on a jurisdiction by jurisdiction basis?  I have heard it's usually calculated and based on occupant load but, I am wondering if the required number spaces varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction?

Can vary drastically even inside a single jurisdiction.  High density downtown districts can be totally different from rural or suburban areas, bowling alleys have different requirements than motels do, sometimes it’s based on rooms, sometimes it’s based on occupants, sometimes it’s based on units, sometimes it’s based on square footage, sometimes it’s a combination of multiple factors, etc etc.  

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here in Tampa Florida, we have a city pre-project meeting which we request.

We submit preliminary overview plans, just bare bones, Depending on the scope of the project the meeting will have 3 to 10 people from all the interested departments. In that meeting, they express their concerns. Parking and access to the public road would be one area discussed. I can tell you the meetings are stressful for me as I have not done many. But for the most part, the folks are helpful & professional. This will go a long way to make your official plan submittal closer to passing on the 2nd submittal. It never passes on the first. :)

These codes are complicated at times but the meeting is very helpful.

By all means, read the codes but ask the folks upfront that will grade your paper & it will save you a lot of time & headachs.

2 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Here in Tampa Florida, we have a city pre-project meeting which we request.

We submit preliminary overview plans, just bare bones, Depending on the scope of the project the meeting will have 3 to 10 people from all the interested departments. In that meeting, they express their concerns. Parking and access to the public road would be one area discussed. I can tell you the meetings are stressful for me as I have not done many. But for the most part, the folks are helpful & professional. This will go a long way to make your official plan submittal closer to passing on the 2nd submittal. It never passes on the first. :)

These codes are complicated at times but the meeting is very helpful.

By all means, read the codes but ask the folks upfront that will grade your paper & it will save you a lot of time & headachs.

Hi Alan - Happy New Year's Day!!   Hope the new year is much much better than the previous year for you, your family and all of our colleagues here in Chief Architect user forum.

You make a very good point on this aspect of project planning.

In the Greater Toronto Area this is called a pre-consultation meeting and there is a fee for the meeting.  The meeting is entirely optional unless the project meets certain application complications that are determined by, from the best I can figure, someone using a crystal ball.

In any case, these meetings can be exceedingly useful because you get a list of contacts in all departments not only from the responsible municipal authority that will issue the building permit, but also other parties that have a veto, such as conservation authority, the department of urban forestry (yes you need permission to harm a tree in some areas), the health department if there is a private sewage system or well, and the region or country for trucking load permits etc.