Project Information

ChiefuserMathews

Layout file is the key place to enter the Project Information.  I'm not sure why it's available for entry in the Plan File but I suppose you could want to display that information specifically in various Plan Views.  In that case it might in fact be different than the Layout.  Why would anyone want to do that I haven't figured out.

Maybe I'm missing something that would be useful.  ^_^ Or maybe not.

• Upvote 1

I have had on occasion to have to use different layouts on a project specifically when a site plan needs to be on a smaller sheet and it is a small hassle to re-enter all the info on a separate layout.

On 6/23/2020 at 9:42 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

Layout file is the key place to enter the Project Information.  I'm not sure why it's available for entry in the Plan File but I suppose you could want to display that information specifically in various Plan Views.  In that case it might in fact be different than the Layout.  Why would anyone want to do that I haven't figured out.

Maybe I'm missing something that would be useful.  ^_^ Or maybe not.

I enter the client info in both the plan and layout.  It depends on how one has their info setup.

In fact I think it makes more sense to have the info into the plan instead of the layout. 

Both ways work.... options,  options,  options.....  don't you love them.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dshall said:

I think it makes more sense to have the info into the plan instead of the layout. 

Only problem is that if you want to use that info in the Layout then you have to enter it into the Layout.  The Project Info macros from the Plan don't work in the Layout.

You can very easily create your own custom project information macros by defining global variables (which in X12 can even be done in a standard text box).  Then simply copy and paste your text box or custom project_information macro from one plan to the next or from plan to layout to avoid re-entry. 

You use your global variables instead of the built in project information macros.  Really quite easy and super flexible. Plus, in X12, you don't even need to create any custom macros if you don't want to.  Simply place your global variable directly (example:  %$Project_Address%).  If anyone needs help getting started, shoot me over an email.  I can get you set up with a quick starter kit for a very minimal fee and you can seriously be off and running with it after just a few minutes. 

17 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Only problem is that if you want to use that info in the Layout then you have to enter it into the Layout.  The Project Info macros from the Plan don't work in the Layout.

I know,  that is why I have them in cad details in the plan file and they are then sent to layout.  I have a macro for all of my consultants in the plan and they are linked to a cad detail which has already been sent to layout because of the template I use.....  easy peasy lemon squeazy.

• 1 year later...

Actually, PROJECT INFORMATION from Tools menu isn't at all about project information.
t's more about client and designer information. No FIELD or CELL that can be automatically populated thru MACRO routines, i.e. site/ lot area, coverage %, building height, setbacks, etc., etc.
Every designer/ architect would love to have this info handy anytime in the design process.

On 6/23/2020 at 11:42 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

I'm not sure why it's available for entry in the Plan File

If say you had a cad detail populating different information for the plan and that was sent to layout you may want to reference the client/designer info.

EX: You have a Cad detail with Contact information:

Contact Information:

Client:

%client.name%

%client.email%

Designer:

%designer.name%

%designer.email%

General Contractor:

%client.zip_code%

%client.country%