Saved Plan View with Default Set

ChiefuserMathews

Could someone please explain to me how this default set work with saved plan view? I have been watching the videos and reading the help files over and over again last 2 weeks and I am still confused. My issues are follows

1. I have a saved a plan view called "Floor Plan View" and I have a 1/4" scale default set attached to it. with layer set as "Floor Plan Layer Set". Under the selected defaults "Dimensions I have 1/4" scale dimension defaults and I have changed "edit dimension default" (pencil icon) and changed the layer to dimension, floor, Rich Text to text floor etc.

2. Now I want to use the same "1/4" scale default set" for my ceiling plan under the "Saved Plan View" in the project browser. Now when I add a dimension or text to the ceiling plan I get warning "the layer text, floor" is not displayed. do you want to turn on the display of this layer in the current view?" If I say yes it will turn on that layer and what ever I dimension or text i have added on the floor plan will appear in the ceiling plan which I don't want. I know I can change the layer but that defeats the purpose and will be time consuming

Does that means I can use the 1/4" scale only once? Is that I am doing something wrong? I cannot explain anything better than these. It driving me crazy and confusing.

3. If I use the electrical or NKBA default set how would I know which scale factor is used for the dimension or text style? Or does the layout page adjust dimension text and text according to scale factor?

Thank you Eric. I have watched other youtube video as well, but didn't help. From all these what I understand is I have to create a new default set with the scale factor and name it eg. "1/4" scale floor plan set" or "1/4" scale ceiling plan set" to maintain unique layer set pertaining to that default. Correct me if I am wrong. In all the CA online video they show the NKBA or electrical or HVAC which is clear, But what I would like to know how do we tackle other areas such as floor plan, ceiling etc.

My other issue, which I mentioned in my previous question is how would i know what scale factor is used for kitchen and bath default, electrical default, hvac default etc? Does it automatically change the text and dimension heights when I change the scale factor on the layout sheet?

If any one can shed more lights to it would be great. 

Thank you

11 hours ago, ChiefuserMathews said:

Now I want to use the same "1/4" scale default set" for my ceiling plan under the "Saved Plan View" in the project browser.

That's your problem. The Saved Dimension has the layer it is assigned to saved in its settings. That dimension will appear on that layer. Which means you will want to create a specific dimension default for a specific saved plan view, and a specific layer for that dimension default to reside on.

I have probably a dozen or so dimension defaults for various saved plan views, and a dozen or so dimension LAYERS, one for each dimension default (in addition to the standard Automatic and Manual dimension layers), so I can control where and when each dimension shows up.

Now when I add a dimension or text to the ceiling plan I get warning "the layer text, floor" is not displayed.

That's how the program is designed, so you can create multiple dimension defaults and have them ONLY display on the specified view, by using layer settings. 

Does that means I can use the 1/4" scale only once? Is that I am doing something wrong?

You can use the dimension on multiple Saved Plan Views, but if you want to restrict a dimension to ONLY certain SPVs, then yes you need a unique dimension default for that, AND a unique layer.

Here's an example from my template:

1591464848_ScreenShot2020-06-20at9_11_23AM.thumb.png.01dd96c3600529fbc29eb513cad83e0c.png

885954821_ScreenShot2020-06-20at9_12_13AM.thumb.png.1949997a7a3fba257e7f43973aabc186.png

Whenever I draw dimensions on any SPV, they appear on that view as specified, but only on that view. When I switch views, those dims go away and the ones for that view appear.

Some dim defaults can be used on multiple views if they share attributes where it makes sense. As you can see in the second screen shot, my Floor Framing view uses "Stair Opening Dims" which are also used on the stair opening SPV because in my setup, it works for both.

Notice the LAYER setting for this dim default:

1206581752_ScreenShot2020-06-20at9_25_33AM.thumb.png.75f9c4700ef6aba287d36b82d2d20ad7.png

Many other things are also set specifically for the SPV. Text size and color, CAD defaults, layer settings, all which are specific for the view.

There is a lot of power in SPVs and layer settings that takes some time to wrap your mind around. I'm still wrapping. :P

6 minutes ago, ChiefuserMathews said:

how would i know what scale factor is used for kitchen and bath default, electrical default, hvac default etc?

That is set in Drawing Sheet Setup and applies to the entire plan. Right now there is only one scale for the plan, but can be controlled when sending to layout.

You can, however automatically change the text size and dimension text size, among other things, using SPV and layer settings.

There was a recent Suggestion to have control over scale within the SPV, however I'm not sure that could work, or is better than controlling it when sending to layout.

1 minute ago, ChiefuserMathews said:

Thank you Chris for your detailed reply. That makes sense and that's what I was not clear. 

Thanks again

You're welcome.

Most of my saved plan views have their own specific layer set, default set, dimension default, dimension layer, text layer, and CAD layer. That way I only display what I want for each view. It gets confusing sometimes but it's nice to flip between views and draw, type, or dimension and have everything ... just work.

Some people say default sets are unnecessary now but I still use them to help make sure I don't accidentally screw something up. I keep everything separate and discrete.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

You're welcome.

Most of my saved plan views have their own specific layer set, default set, dimension default, dimension layer, text layer, and CAD layer. That way I only display what I want for each view. It gets confusing sometimes but it's nice to flip between views and draw, type, or dimension and have everything ... just work.

Some people say default sets are unnecessary now but I still use them to help make sure I don't accidentally screw something up. I keep everything separate and discrete.

This is also the way I prefer to do it , bit more work to begin with but worth it in my book....

M.

4 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

...you will want to create a specific dimension default for a specific saved plan view, ANNO SET (now referred to as Default Sets) and a specific layer (like a user does with ANNO (Default) SETS) for that dimension default to reside on.

2 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Nooooo thank you! 

Creating a specific dimension default etc. is something that's already been done for those who prefer to use Annotation Sets. Do you not understand this?

Curious Joey, why do you choose to disparage SPV's in any thread that promotes or explains Saved Plan Views to those who want to understand them better? You clearly don't like them, don't use them, nor understand them so why must you comment in ways that are certainly not helpful nor productive? Again, curious.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Creating a specific dimension default etc. is something that's already been done for those who prefer to use Annotation Sets. Do you not understand this?

I think so but maybe not. What am I doing wrong?

And please don't change my post, just write your own message. That makes it really hard to know what I said and what you're saying.

33 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

I think so but maybe not. What am I doing wrong?

And please don't change my post, just write your own message. That makes it really hard to know what I said and what you're saying.

Sorry for the confusion Chris, my reply was to Joey who I don't think understands SPV's and clearly does not like them.

Your post was very clear, accurate, and the pics included very helpful. From my experience a user within Saved Plan Views does indeed have to "create a specific dimension default for a specific saved plan view, and a specific layer for that dimension default to reside on." I was trying to explain to those who do not want to use SPV's that what you suggested is exactly what one does with ANNO sets - that is - "create a specific dimension default for a specific Anno Set, and a specific layer for that dimension default to reside on." Same exact steps in ANNO SETS as in SPV's  just a different name.

Again sorry for the confusion...

On 6/20/2020 at 11:09 AM, HumbleChief said:

Again sorry for the confusion...

Thanks for clearing that up I was a tad confused at 1st too....

Joey has stated he doesn't like or use SPVs ( another Thread), ---  but I think he's coming around now he sees they are really just more powerful Anno Sets  * apparently not - see below

M.

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

I was trying to explain to those who do not want to use SPV's that what you suggested is exactly what one does with ANNO sets - that is - "create a specific dimension default for a specific Anno Set, and a specific layer for that dimension default to reside on."

Oh, ok, of course, I figured that went without saying. As you can see from my pics, I have specific SPV, specific layer sets, specific anno (default) sets, and specific dimension defaults. It's pretty anal but I have to do that to maintain a bare minimum sanity. :P

Making a new Saved Plan View is just as easy, to me, as making a new Annoset, but with more features. Save an existing SPV under a new name, change the layerset, dimension default, floor, zoom level, reference set(s), etc. and you are good to go - that simple. The floor and zoom level in SPV's are two I appreciate the most. I don't have dozens and dozens of SPV's; I keep them to a bare minimum to meet my needs and workflow.

• Upvote 1

The more I learn about them the less I like them. No disparaging, just had a similar question and was searching for the answer when I saw this thread. The no thank you was for creating even more defaults and even more layers and more, more, more.

My current workflow doesn't require saved plan views.

I agree with Joey, The more I read and watch the same video over and over again it confuses a lot. It is a good feature but should properly explained. In the video its always the simpler one kitchen and bath, or electrical etc. what about the scaled defaults, how to use for different scale factors?

How many different scales are you using in your construction docs?

Most of us use 1/4"=1' for every kind of plan view except for plots, site, landscape, and kitchen & bath.

And for me that means there's a need for 1"= 20' for the bigs and 1/2" for k&b.

Large-footprint jobs, for me, mean we're gonna go from C to D or even E size paper, because we're always gonna scale at those figures above.

So what's the issue here?  Plan views are for PLAN views only.  They don't apply at all to sections, elevations, CAD details.

9 hours ago, joey_martin said:

The more I learn about them the less I like them. No disparaging, just had a similar question and was searching for the answer when I saw this thread. The no thank you was for creating even more defaults and even more layers and more, more, more.

My current workflow doesn't require saved plan views.

I appreciate anyone and everyone's work flow and the tools they choose to use but it might be important to point out how Saved Plan Views actually work. Not to change anyone's mind regarding same, or to change the tools any user should choose, but to ensure that those who choose to understand them better have accurate information if they decide to use them.

So for anyone who would choose to learn more about Saved Plan Views the user does not have to "create (sic) even more defaults and even more layers and more, more, more." As a matter of fact if you already have Annotation Sets (now called Default Sets) the user doesn't have to recreate ANYTHING to use Saved Plan Views. Just insert the already created Default Sets in to a Saved Plan View. There is no "more, more, more" needed.

I have no dog in whether someone uses Saved Plan Views or not but the information in these threads should be accurate at least, I think, for those who want to learn how they work.

9 hours ago, ChiefuserMathews said:

what about the scaled defaults, how to use for different scale factors?

Everything in Chief is drawn at 1:1, as you are really, even in Plan View, Drawing 3D Objects, ie Walls, Cabinets etc,

it is only when you Send to Layout (at the preferred Scale) that a Scale is applied to that View.

The Layout Scale should always be 1:1  otherwise you will Scale everything twice when Printing.

M.

MIke thanks for your reply. My question regarding the text scale factor. I know other than the text everything is drawn in 1:1 scale.  I think I should send the drawing to the layout sheet to determine the scale factor and do the dimensions and text according to the scale. I know that I can rescale the layout view. That was my doubt how the text will adjust to the rescaled layout view.

11 minutes ago, ChiefuserMathews said:

MIke thanks for your reply. My question regarding the text scale factor. I know other than the text everything is drawn in 1:1 scale.  I think I should send the drawing to the layout sheet to determine the scale factor and do the dimensions and text according to the scale. I know that I can rescale the layout view. That was my doubt how the text will adjust to the rescaled layout view.

You can probably use "Print Preview"  ( and "Show Sheet" if needed ? )  to get a good idea of what things will look like without Sending To Layout , the Icons are on your RH toolbar - unless you moved them.

Mick.

SPV's are a big step forward in increasing productivity... IMHO of course.

The next step would be to allow us to drag and drop SPV's from the project browser into the layout.  Or, better yet, allow us to "assign" SPV's to certain areas in the layout.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

You can probably use "Print Preview"  ( and "Show Sheet" if needed ? )  to get a good idea of what things will look like without Sending To Layout , the Icons are on your RH toolbar - unless you moved them.

Mick.

Mike, I tried that, but it would not help me to find out what scale I should be using for my layout