Skylights - shaft won't build

robdyck

I can't get a skylight to build a square shaft when placing a skylight into a roof plane when the room does NOT have a flat ceiling. In my A-frame project, the ceiling is supplied by the roof and part of the skylight dbx is greyed out. Skylight works fine when its over a flat ceiling. Has anyone else run into this before?

image.thumb.png.033c8507dc0b4d7bd81c555a62448709.pngimage.thumb.png.9548f6a500188c50ec5bdc8110ed24fa.png

Mine generates per normal... BUT that section of the Skylight Dbx is also greyed out.  Never paid attention to that before... I guess that comes into play only if there's a flat ceiling.
In your first pic it looks like a hole is generating in the ceiling but not in the roof??

21 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Mine generates per normal... BUT that section of the Skylight Dbx is also greyed out.  Never paid attention to that before... I guess that comes into play only if there's a flat ceiling.
In your first pic it looks like a hole is generating in the ceiling but not in the roof??

Just how the pic looks. I get a hole in both surfaces but no shaft liner. And holy geez, could skylights be more painful?? In a section view, you can't just slide them up and down the roof. Ridiculous.

image.thumb.png.740fcc153532c52e85b6bf4b7e5a2b87.pngimage.thumb.png.3e14aab89a308270c670b100434c02f2.png

46 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I get a hole in both surfaces but no shaft liner. And holy geez, could skylights be more painful?? In a section view, you can't just slide them up and down the roof. Ridiculous.

You can...just not the way you/we want to.   Try MOVE in the the Transform/Replicate Dbx

No idea on the shaft finishing out though... that is weird one.  If you open a fresh plan make a room and throw a simple roof on it do you get the same result?

I figured out why the shaft won't appear. It's because I have no fascia. And the reason I don't have fascia is because Chief won't run the wood grain direction correctly for fascia but it will for shadow boards so I was using 2 shadow boards instead. If I add a 'zero' fascia the shaft builds! Sweet Fancy Moses!

FWIW, my skylight frame is also a 'zero' so I can use a proper model of a skylight instead of whatever that thing is that Chief produces.

57 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Try making the Frame bigger than 1/16 x1/16" perhaps

56 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Try making the Frame bigger than 1/16 x1/16" perhaps?  - in Chief that it practically "invisible"

M.

I tried the 1/16" frame and still got a shaft... but not the shaft, like Robert is getting. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

I tried the 1/16" frame and still got a shaft... but not the shaft, like Robert is getting. 

Its all good now, but dang its a lot of work. Especially if you'd like a cased opening!

image.thumb.png.b822dc54d7c66cff297bae84db3e1caa.pngimage.thumb.png.3f10d7761b61052838e4db0fe9f96c4e.png

Just now, DzinEye said:

Well... what was causing the problem?

I had no fascia and the skylight shaft is controlled (partially at least) by the fascia. See my earlier post

39 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I figured out why the shaft won't appear. It's because I have no fascia. And the reason I don't have fascia is because Chief won't run the wood grain direction correctly for fascia but it will for shadow boards so I was using 2 shadow boards instead. If I add a 'zero' fascia the shaft builds! Sweet Fancy Moses!

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

I had no fascia and the skylight shaft is controlled (partially at least) by the fascia. See my earlier post

Ahh.. .it looks like we posted at the exact same time, so I didn't see your post.

33 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Magnifique!

Magnafic !

( or is that magnific ?)

M.

Well... there you go!... now you need to rectify your post saying that you don't speak French!  :)
Bonne soirree mes amis

• 7 months later...