Editing a Truss...?

HumbleChief

Have a pretty unique situation where the homeowner modified the trusses to install sky lights (cut them off completely to make room for the sky lights) and we now need to engineer the changes (leaving the remainder of the trusses) for city approval so the homeowner can rest easy with the changes. Have been through the drama this can create but my question is not regarding the complexities of the changes but was wondering how to edit a truss, or if it's even possible to do what I want?

I've got the trusses open in a CAD detail window but can't seem to select anything to edit. I can select the truss then open the 'truss detail' window but again cannot select anything to modify the truss. Totally lost and may not be possible to do what I want but any help greatly appreciated as always.

ROOF_TRUSS_EDIT_1.plan

Thanks Michael, YIKES had the Framing, Roof Trusses Layer locked by default? Frustrating but I think I might have found a quicker method?

I am trying the modify truss technique in your videos now to see what I can learn - with the layer unlocked.. Thanks again.

6 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks Michael, YIKES had the Framing, Roof Trusses Layer locked by default? Frustrating but I think I might have found a quicker method?

I am trying the modify truss technique now to see what I can learn - with the layer unlocked.. 

You may want to create a specific layer set that you use to edit trusses...where the layers you need are not locked.  I’m sure it’s not something you do everyday so maybe it’s not worth the trouble. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SNestor said:

You may want to create a specific layer set that you use to edit trusses...where the layers you need are not locked.  I’m sure it’s not something you do everyday so maybe it’s not worth the trouble. 

Thanks Steve. Have never edited trusses before and didn't even think that the edit truss layer set would have the truss framing layer locked - by default? Won't fall for that again and am practicing my truss editing skills now to see what I can learn.

3 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Michael, here's my edited truss using your video as a guide. Down right easy without the layer locked.. Thanks again.

TRUSS EDIT 3.jpg

You bet.  Glad the video(s) helped.  I honestly didn’t even remember what was on them and didn’t watch them.  They just looked like they would apply.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks Steve. Have never edited trusses before and didn't even think that the edit truss layer set would have the truss framing layer locked - by default? Won't fall for that again and am practicing my truss editing skills now to see what I can learn.

I’m with you. I tend to leave truss design to the experts. And - I would not have known that the layer was locked by default....happy you got it figured out and I’m sure your post has helped many of us.  

• Upvote 1