Railing - Stop at sloped ceiling

robdyck

I'm working on an A-frame cabin and I have a situation where the exterior deck railing will stop at and follow the sloped  ceiling, but interior railings will not. Does anyone have experience with this and know what button to press before I have to build the interior railings manually? Both of these screenshots are from the 2nd floor, while the roof plane is built on the first floor.

Exterior Deck Railing:image.thumb.png.ba3e4643b9fd6fd9fabc1cad1a02b1c8.png

Interior Railing:image.thumb.png.b3466692fefcfc221872ea70b6e058c9.png

Oddly enough, I took one of Chief's railings from the library and used it, then changed everything about it to match what I was already using and it worked as well, so I have no answer as to why it didn't work, but the problem is fixed.

Thanks to both of you for chiming in...it was enough to point me in the right direction.

@HumbleChief @DavidJPotter

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

@robdyck - not at my computer to check but I think the problem is “Newels”.  Newels do not trim off at roofs...if your rail doesn’t include Newels it will trim to the roof.  Again I’m going from memory so I could be wrong 

It's hard to tell in my first sceenshot but the newels do trim to the u/s of the roof...right at the center of the top of the newel. And my original problematic interior rail did not have newels.

5 minutes ago, CJSpud said:

When I do a railing like that,

You don't do a railing like that.

I hear you, but that's not the look we're going for. Something's going to be cut by somebody to fit to something else...it really doesn't matter which person cuts which object, does it?

And I do believe I have the least number of pieces to cut! So there:P

I would design it that way initially - I am one of those people who likes square and simple.  But the customer will get what they want regardless of how I put it on the plans initially.  If a customer showed me an image or sketch of a railing done the way you are showing, then that is the way I would design it.  In the end, the customer is right .... and you're right to be doing what they want.  If you'd mentioned that this was the look your client was after in your initial post, I wouldn't have even bothered posting my image.

The image I showed is particularly useful if the owner wants to have some space for some storage behind an attic wall, which would obviously be perpendicular to the bumpout walls I showed.  Attic walls can also be useful for placing furniture against ... depending on the steepness of the roof and how the owner wants to arrange furniture.  It might not make much since to have attic walls in a loft if the structure is quite narrow to begin with.

Out of curiosity I did an Internet search for loft railing images and found many examples of railings like you are working on and there were many like what I showed.  Lots of the images didn't show the complete railing so it wasn't obvious as to how they were connected to the roof structure on either end.

Enough said ... hope your project design is a big success for your clients.  :)

• 1 year later...