As-Built Materials

Components

I would like to generate an accurate materials list on a remodel/addition that I am working on. I assigned “existing” layer sets to the walls, doors etc. that do not calculate to the materials lists but I have not been able to keep the existing floors/subfloors, ceiling surfaces, insulation and ridgecap from generating on the materials list. Any pointers? 

The thing that you must understand about the Materials List tool is that it precisely measures the materials in your plan file. In other words it measures your ability to PERFECTLY model the actual structure in Chief which is then measured by the Materials List tool. So it is more a gauge of your ability to use Chief than otherwise. If someone wants me to generate a usable Materials List, I tell them that I can do so but that requirement will cost them considerably more for the plan file than a plan file merely developed for Construction Documents, a LOT more in terms of my time to make the plan file perfect from foundation  to Roof.

For Remodel projects, I make a relation-ally correct model of the existing home which I call the "as built" and then make a copy of the as built and call it "Proposed" adding the addition or additions to that plan file, then I can subtract the as built material list of the as built from the Materials List of the Proposed. But in my experience, I have NEVER worked with or for a Remodeling contractor who was willing to pay my hourly fee just for a Material List, they mainly want Renderings and CD's on a budget.

When I first started using Chief in 1994 my boss asked me to find out how usable Chief was for obtaining a Material List. I told him, after trying my best that getting that product at my current skill level was not a viable endeavor, so we used Chief for some raw data, square footage and did our Materials List the traditional way. You are welcome to do as you wish.

DJP 

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply David. I agree that success is largely dependent on a designers ability to model the plan correctly which is time consuming. As a design/build contractor I would like to sharpen my skills a bit as I will be investing time into materials lists anyway. Really my biggest challenge has been in figuring out how to "turn off" the materials that I listed. 

For the most part it would. One segment of the existing roof will be rebuilt to tie in the new addition. The floor will not be rebuilt. Only the roof and ceiling as well as a couple of short interior walls and kitchen cabinets. I suppose that I could use a materials list area and just subtract the the materials that will not be replaced. 

In "Edit - Preferences - Materials List" you can globally turn on or off material categories and other Materials List functions. You can limit what is displayed as a Materials list by using **** different tools (Material Region, by room and by floor)

DJP