Buying HD Pro 2021 & finishing plans with CA Premier X12

frjram1359

I have both trial versions on my computer but do not help me with my goals because the save functions are disabled. I need to know if my intentions are feasible before I buy.

Here is my goal:

I have a one time project coming up for my own house (demo and build a new one). My goal is to buy the Pro 2021 and once I have the design completed, rent the Premier X12 for a month to do the construction drawings (I am very much intrigued what more the X12 can offer).

My question is if the construction drawings created by the X12 can easily be viewed, edited, or revised by the Pro 2021 during permit stage corrections with the City Planners and revisions by Contractors during the construction stage?

Thank you,

52 minutes ago, frjram1359 said:

My question is if the construction drawings created by the X12 can easily be viewed, edited, or revised by the Pro 2021 during permit stage corrections with the City Planners and revisions by Contractors during the construction stage?

No, Each application have ".layout" files but the HD Pro .layout file is programmed to hold only one intended, printed page per file and the same .layout file, generated in Chief Premier can contain up to 1,000 potential pages per .layout file. HD Pro cannot fully edit Chief Premier .layout files due that fundamental difference but HD Pro .layout files can, individually be edited, one at a time, in Chief Premier. That is a major difference between the two applications in terms of sharing files.

DJP

13 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

No, Each application have ".layout" files but the HD Pro .layout file is programmed to hold only one intended, printed page per file and the same .layout file, generated in Chief Premier can contain up to 1,000 potential pages per .layout file. HD Pro cannot fully edit Chief Premier .layout files due that fundamental difference but HD Pro .layout files can, individually be edited, one at a time, in Chief Premier. That is a major difference between the two applications in terms of sharing files.

I have read somewhere in the forum that a Premier X12 designer can send their design to a Pro 2021 user/client (compatible version) and the Pro 2021 user is able to edit the plans with no limit being "Pro". Since you mentioned ".layout", Can I do the layout on the "Pro 2021" instead? I don't mind having 15-20 layout files saved individually just as I did way back in Pro 8.

11 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Check the Offers forum for a full OLDER version of Chief instead of going with Pro perhaps.....

HD Pro plus 2-3 months rental =   $900 maybe more? 

I have the old HD Pro 8 and upgrade is only $300 now and keeping the Pro 2021 will be a monumental leap. I just happen to have this one-time project again since 2009.

2 hours ago, frjram1359 said:

Can I do the layout on the "Pro 2021" instead? I don't mind having 15-20 layout files saved individually just as I did way back in Pro 8.

Yes

The big difference between HD Pro 2008 and 2021 is that the current version can now print to full sized Construction Document sizes ( Arch D 24x36 and Arch E 36x48), HD Pro 2008's largest print size is 18x24

DJP

2 hours ago, solver said:

Here is a plan and 2 page layout.

Don Gardner - Rowan E (x12).zip

I tried this file with the trial Pro 2021 but only Page A-1 layout shows with no option to go to Page 0 which is the Default Page Template. That confirms David's answer that the other layout files can not be opened. The floor levels are showing indeed. It still gives me a fighting chance but where would I find those files created by X12 such as Schedules, Notes, Wall Framing, etc. to copy and paste to Pro 2021? I have to call Chief on Monday to ask if my intentions are possible.

1 hour ago, DavidJPotter said:

The big difference between HD Pro 2008 and 2021 is that the current version can now print to full sized Construction Document sizes ( Arch D 24x36 and Arch E 36x48), HD Pro 2008's largest print size is 18x24

If I remember, I just printed my file to 200% then but not all printer can do a scaled print. Not even FedEx Kinko's, they were always off when measured. There were so many wasted sheets.

while HD PRO can edit Premier plans - if both are from the same release there is s caveat

PRO can only read/display features that PRO doesn't have

If the Premier plan contains features that only Premier has then NO edits allowed in PRO for that feature

another option is to buy X12 Premier - complete the project ASAP

then offer X12 for sale with a $500 or so discount off the full price

If you buy an older version of Premier get at least X4 as the Library system in X3 was horrible

and X4 introduced the current library system along with Anno-sets and many other features

Lew

8 hours ago, frjram1359 said:

If I remember, I just printed my file to 200% then but not all printer can do a scaled print. Not even FedEx Kinko's, they were always off when measured. There were so many wasted sheets.

Anyone can screw up something, it requires competent, trained people to obtain professional grade results. When I need large format prints, I go to a "Blueprint" company where they know what is what. I have never used Fed Ex etc so I have never experienced what you have. Plus when I get screwy results, I first assume that I did something wrong and not the software or operating system and after 25 years plus experience, I have been right 99.9% of the time. I know these days people like to find a scapegoat for their own incompetence and shortfalls of their own personal integrity and Ethics but that philosophy never has worked and never will work except for creating and forwarding misery for all.

DJP

• Downvote 1

but not all printer can do a scaled print

The recommendation I go by is to state on the prints that they are not to be scaled

that all dims should be used as stated

the reasoning being it is too easy for someone to make a mistake and then get things "wrong"

then where does blame lie ?

Lew

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but if a document is created and printed correctly, there should be nothing wrong with the scale.

A user error at any stage can mess things up though. It’s easy to mess up at the printing stage by introducing some small amount of scaling (shrinking a document slightly to “fit” the target output size for example).

If printing via Adobe Reader for example “actual size” produces the expected result. If your paper isn’t big enough, you’ll get a printing of a fraction of the page but will be able to measure on it with a ruler at the appropriate scale.