Interior Sill Height Adjust

Sweeney

Hey all, 

I am wondering if anyone has a solution/work around for adjusting the interior sill height on windows? As far as I can tell, Chief automatically sets the top of sill to the bottom of the jamb... I can make the window jamb width zero, and it places the sill where I need it, but opens up another can of worms. I have been trimming out windows in elevation with polysolids to make things accurate but it's a big time suck. 

Anything helps, and thank you in advance.

1945841318_SillDetail.thumb.png.eaeaabe455fcda7d9f423077900a427e.png1978863440_Silladjust.thumb.png.561cd217551bc2de790293c4c0dcdaaa.png

2 hours ago, Sweeney said:

Hey all, 

I am wondering if anyone has a solution/work around for adjusting the interior sill height on windows? As far as I can tell, Chief automatically sets the top of sill to the bottom of the jamb... I can make the window jamb width zero, and it places the sill where I need it, but opens up another can of worms. I have been trimming out windows in elevation with polysolids to make things accurate but it's a big time suck. 

Anything helps, and thank you in advance.

The only reasonably quick solution I can think of would be to use 2 windows in the same place, and alter the height and properties of the 2nd window to display the sill only and interior casing only. This will solve some problems but not all. I use a default window, copy it, make a passthrough with the interior casing and no frame (reduce the height by the default frame thickness, then copy and center on the original window.

image.thumb.png.ea472dbf7b258348d0ad47744c5ca95c.png

4 hours ago, DzinEye said:

make your own modified window symbol.

You can make a Window Sill Symbol ( not Window) set to use "Below Opening" and turn off the window sill on the Window itself , you can then set you own Height  ( and shape etc. as needed). It is pretty fast to place as it will find the wall and you can center it on the Window quickly with the Center Tool. 

See Attached plan for an example .......Check the Saved Cameras and Cross Sections....

> You go from a molding profile                      (you've drawn whatever shape - I did this one in a CS of the Window)

> apply it to a molding line

> convert to Millwork Symbol (used advance Options to name and set "below Opening"

> Open symbol in Library  and set symbol Origin Offset  ( so it goes through wall to outside )

> Open Object in Library and set Height to bottom eg 32"

> Place Symbol in Plan.

> Replace Symbol CAD Block with a (1" x 39" in this Plan) CAD Block Rectangle and Resave Symbol to Library.

*  only down side is symbols don't show well in Cross Sections , so I just use the Molding Profile placed in plan with a Fill.

( *** more details in my post in the Thread Eric posted above)

MHD_Window Sill_Symbol_2.plan

image.thumb.png.52625407e34111bd752a1ae97a0e4fd9.pngimage.thumb.png.8a551bbde233e22e478fe0640dcdc883.pngimage.thumb.png.9b6c7dce09ebad7ab9744813ef68898f.png 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

You can make a Window Sill Symbol ( not Window)

Dang... very frustrating... you're pretty much right.  After I got the modified sill on there and converting it into a new symbol everything goes to hell... the size changes, it looses all kinds of functionality, the wall cut-out goes wacky, etc..  After tons of messing around I kinda sorta can get it to work, but it's definitely not worth the effort.   Having done several doors and having frequently seen the 'window' option  in the make symbol dbx it seemed like it would be pretty easy.  Almost wonder why they even have the window option in the make symbol dbx.

Anyway..FWIW Sweeney... here's the window... maybe you can use it.

Window_Dbl Hung_Sill Mod.calibz

9 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Dang... very frustrating... you're pretty much right.  After I got the modified sill on there and converting it into a new symbol everything goes to hell... the size changes, it looses all kinds of functionality, the wall cut-out goes wacky, etc..  After tons of messing around I kinda sorta can get it to work, but it's definitely not worth the effort.   Having done several doors and having frequently seen the 'window' option  in the make symbol dbx it seemed like it would be pretty easy.  Almost wonder why they even have the window option in the make symbol dbx.

Anyway..FWIW Sweeney... here's the window... maybe you can use it.

Window_Dbl Hung_Sill Mod.calibz

Ahhh I didn't try that ...I just use the Chief window and insert my Sill into it....

BTW your Window Symbol is actually a Fixture Symbol and it inserts into the wall reversed here  ie exterior side (Slate color) is on the inside.

M.

32 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Ahhh I didn't try that ...I just use the Chief window and insert my Sill into it....

BTW your Window Symbol is actually a Fixture Symbol and it inserts into the wall reversed here  ie exterior side (Slate color) is on the inside.

M.

Ya, I know it's a Fixture instead of a Window... seemed to work better.  Believe me I spent a lot of time monkeying around.  I think Michael (Alaskan) also suggested somewhere it's better to use Fixture instead.  You know me...I have to prove it to myself.  
As for inside out... it actually will go either way, just like putting in a door... you have to move your cursor before you click to place it.

2 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

As for inside out... it actually will go either way, just like putting in a door... you have to move your cursor before you click to place it.

Ohhhh doh..... did not think of spinning it around being a "Fixture" not a "Window"

And yes Chief makes a mess of it when saving a Window as a Window Symbol as it keeps the Casing attached and cuts the the wall hole that full size to say nothing of the CAD Block debacle ....

27 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

And yes Chief makes a mess of it when saving a Window as a Window Symbol as it keeps the Casing attached and cuts the the wall hole that full size to say nothing of the CAD Block debacle ....

If you make a window symbol, under options there is a checkbox for 'System supplies rectangular casing', which I didn't explore much because it would've just put the sill in the same place as now... but it appears to me that if one were to create a window symbol without casing/sill and then used that checkbox it might behave more like hoped/expected.  I may have a go at that tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

If you make a window symbol, under options there is a checkbox for 'System supplies rectangular casing', which I didn't explore much because it would've just put the sill in the same place as now... but it appears to me that if one were to create a window symbol without casing/sill and then used that checkbox it might behave more like hoped/expected.  I may have a go at that tomorrow.

I did try that after turning the casing off in the Window Object but it didn't seem helpful, it seemed to resize the Sill symbol of mine too somehow....

this is what happens if you leave Casing on and use the system casing

image.thumb.png.e749c95757132ec86996274d32ee114e.png

you can resize the wall cutout though if need  , but with these issues and the Plan view CAD all messed up it maybe not worth it... easier to just drop a sill symbol in and center it on the Window.

image.thumb.png.4153acea2542a44922b0471543b4c872.pngimage.thumb.png.a7e873f9f5c66bb61fa1bd969eb680ac.png

On 6/13/2020 at 10:50 AM, Kbird1 said:

I did try that after turning the casing off in the Window Object but it didn't seem helpful, it seemed to resize the Sill symbol of mine too somehow....

this is what happens if you leave Casing on and use the system casing

Yep, I tried that too...hence I was thinking it might require deleting those surfaces and/or adjusting the bounding box size.  That's the experiment I will have a go at later.

you can resize the wall cutout though if need  , but with these issues and the Plan view CAD all messed up it maybe not worth it... easier to just drop a sill symbol in and center it on the Window.

...and yep again...In order to create that window I posted, adjusting that cutout size is one of several things I had to do. 

but with these issues and the Plan view CAD all messed up it maybe not worth it

Well... I solved the Plan view CAD issue.  Was able to make a CAD block from a plan view CAD detail of a regular window, then was able to select that as the 2D block.  However, so many other difficulties still plague the procedure it's just not worth the hassle.