Multi-Board Fascias

Kathy330

Unless you're matching an existing house, you should avoid these fascias - looks to me like something an amateur would do. Get a copy of 'Get your house right' and read it - then you will have what you need to offer an informed alternative when a client brings up something like this. Also solver is correct, it's part of the shadow board option on roof plane 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kylejmarsh said:

Unless you're matching an existing house, you should avoid these fascias - looks to me like something an amateur would do

Gosh... I guess that makes Frank Lloyd Wright an amateur.
Not a bad book, but certainly not the be-all and end-all of architecture.

Certainly not the be-all end all, but unless you understand the concepts presented and discussed within, you are likely just an architectural menace making unforced errors everywhere. If you want to 'break' the rules successfully, you first need to know what those rules are.

Another useful resource I've just come across is the oldhouseguy.com website - it's a fun one with a deep rabbit hole to go down.

Finally, I resent you comparing this design to something that would come out of  Wright's office, it just shows how little you know of him and how low regard you hold everything he did. Even he made many errors in his architectural experiments - however he got a 10% commission, was often on site supervising, and made builders tear-out things he didn't like the look of - at client expense. He had total control of the project. And unless that's how you work, probably better to stick to the Architectural patterns and designs which have been tested, studied, and perfected by our predecessors.

On 6/10/2020 at 10:28 AM, Kathy330 said:

20180606_151015.jpg

I was a builder for over 45 yrs. and I see no problem with this fascia other than the drip edge should extend at a minimum of at least another one half inch beyond the top fascia board. I see no reason to criticize the detail. What little bit I see of the house it looks like it fits in win the "horizontal" theme.

5 hours ago, kylejmarsh said:

Finally, I resent you comparing this design to something that would come out of  Wright's office, it just shows how little you know of him and how low regard you hold everything he did. Even he made many errors in his architectural experiments - however he got a 10% commission, was often on site supervising, and made builders tear-out things he didn't like the look of - at client expense. He had total control of the project. And unless that's how you work, probably better to stick to the Architectural patterns and designs which have been tested, studied, and perfected by our predecessors.

Wow... this bit of sanctimonious drivel has nearly nothing to do with my comment and the minor part you did direct to my comment is wrong.   I was only commenting on your position that "you should avoid these type of fascias".   Why are you deifying FLW's business practices here?  Get a grip.   Your comment was 'avoid these type of fascias'.... well the 'type' the OP was asking is seen below in a picture of just one of FLW fascia's of 'this type'.   Since FLW didn't ask the builder to tear this down, I expect that he quite liked it.  

If you want to give someone some design advice on this Chief software forum, why not keep it courteous?

FLW Fascia.JPG

• Upvote 1