Perry's Declarative Title-24 Statement Regarding Replacing Glazing

dshall

Hi Perry,  in another post that I did not look for,  you made the statement that if we are not adding any floor area,  Title-24 was not required.  I have a project where I am only replacing an old 80 s.f. sliding glass door with a new 80 s.f. sliding glass door.  The city is asking for Title-24,  I asked my T-24 person about this and this is her statement to me.

"Since the replacement is over 75 s.f, the required glass is ufactor 0.32 and SHGC is 0.25.  If the owner can meet this, I can fill out a form with a lot of "n/a"
everywhere else.  If the owner already bought the door and it does not meet the required values, we would need to run the whole house to prove that it
still complies.  Since I have received a number of people that have bought the La Cantina doors that do not meet the numbers, I would like to verify
before I start."

My Title 24 person thinks this is a LaCantina door,  it is actually a dual glazed sliding glass door.

Do you have any comments?  Do you think this is so?  Can you cite verbiage that says otherwise?  

Thanks Perry.

This is the kind of nonsense that ticks me off.  We are replacing a sliding glass door.  What does that entail?

-BMP's

-TITLE 24

-Engineer's calcs checking the vertical analysis of header  (replacing 4x12 with 3-1/2x11-7/8 psl)

-Engineer's lateral analysis (no change in walls)

-A set of plans with framing and foundation and site plan and vicinity map and floor plan

-a detail of the post connection at each end of header down to the existing sill plate

And I wonder why homeowner's do not pull permits.......  This is easily an extra $1000.00 worth of work to replace a door.

Gee Scott I was ticked off because an inspector would pass the plans til I changed the title on the plan to something he wanted and it didn't have anything to do with what was in the plans, where the he double hockey stick do these people come from or make up such rules

Scott- No floor space and no volume add- no calc's required, but you must still follow all mandatory measures and min u- value and SHGC. Of course the building official can do anything they want. Then you can fight it by having them call the Calif. Energy Comm. hotline 1-800-772-3300. If you have any questions, they will always have the correct answer. Give them a call as things are changing every day b/c not everyone is up to date on the code including myself. As you know I stopped doing them to free myself up and really haven't learned the new program yet.

Your deal really doesn't make since to me at all.

........ but you must still follow all mandatory measures and min u- value and SHGC.........

Okay,  I think I understand.  I still need my Title-24 person to fill out the prescriptive forms with a bunch of N/A's with the forms essentially calling out the u-value and the SHGC.  A note on the  plans specifying the min ratings is not good enough?

Another $75.00 cost to client.  I am with you,  I thought about learning this new stuff but figured my time was better served drawing and paying someone else to fill out the forms.

I don't know how you guys stand all the government you have...geez.  Oh yea...maybe it's the weather?  (right now it's 42 degrees in Indy...wind is about to howl 20-30 mph...lovely) 

lol,  Yep,  that's it,  we suffer the bureaucracy,  but the weather ain't half bad.

The new California Green code makes us fill out energy calcs for just about every job now.  Residential alteration form CF1R‐ALT‐01‐E. The LABDS plan checker stated he hadn't even been trained on what is actually required. I had to fill out for window changes which was replacing 7 windows and 1 door from single pane glass to dual glazed low E etc.along with better installation methods.  Doesn't take a genius to figure out I am improving performance...

HEY Brian, Are you close by? what city?

Yes, you now need more forms, but calc's are not needed for window change-outs, just the prescriptive method (forms) are ok at least around here.

See Building>5.>Replacement In Kind.

I work mostly LA and Orange County. This particular job in Rolling Hills (contracts out to LA County Building) had the same square footage of windows but the spacing/position were changed slightly.  There was no change in the house square footage. To get the job started, I didn't question it. Just did what they wanted.

That's what you get for living in wine country. Here we get 20 lashes.

I've figured it was so that the quick and cheap replacement companies could sail along.

Permiting requirements for that might slow down, add expense, and even prevent some

from doing an upgrade that saves energy, creates jobs, etc,

• 8 months later...