Roof planes

DMJRestorations

Yes, that was the origin.  I am using this plan as a practice to get better at using the Chief Architect software so that I can do a better job when I work on actual client projects.  I want this one flushed out so that i can try creating more framing, roof trusses, electrical plans, plumbing plans, layouts... all the things that make for a complete plan.

I know these issues are really minor... but you know how it is, start with small problems, and leave them unresolved and pretty soon the whole thing is a mess.  I want to get these figured out before I get too far.

I've already fixed many issues myself, but these little things are just beating me.

For example, when I to close the gap in the board and batten, the wall shoots through the roof... and changes shape much more than anticipated.

b.JPG

a.JPG

1 hour ago, DMJRestorations said:

ROBDYCK...  I could absolutely purchase the plans... but that wouldn't help me learn the software.  As I said... this is a training exercise... not a paying client.

Yes, I understand Scott. It was a joke, not a jab, but I realize that isn't always relayed through this medium...I assure you I meant no offense! Time spent on this forum will reveal that I'm rarely serious.

I would suggest watching even more of the training videos...no doubt you already have spent a lot of time on that. I'd also suggest concentrating on the development of the rooms before working on the roof. Ensure you have the correct room types with the correct structures (floors, ceilings) and finishes. Then, its much simpler to deal with roofs, either manual or automatic. Just like actual building, its much easier to put a roof on when the walls aren't moving!

May I also suggest reviewing the topic below...this simple starting suggestion will make life much easier.

Before you get to far into your plan, you should review the DEFAULT SETTINGS.  When the default ceiling is different than every room in you plan, that's a bit of a red flag that you could be going about it wrong.

It'd also be a good idea to review all your ceiling elevations...is 121 1/2" what you actually want?

A few thoughts about the roof...all the roof pitch is the same and all roofs except the Porch Roof are at the same elevation...ensure these all have the same baseline elevation (relative to the ceiling height). This assumes the baselines are in the correct location of course and it appears as though yours are!

Then ensure the raised porch ceiling and roof is a reasonable dimension higher than the main roofs....13" is not a reasonable difference. I'd suggest using 12" or 16" or 18".

2 hours ago, DMJRestorations said:

Yes, that was the origin.  I am using this plan as a practice to get better at using the Chief Architect software so that I can do a better job when I work on actual client projects.  I want this one flushed out so that i can try creating more framing, roof trusses, electrical plans, plumbing plans, layouts... all the things that make for a complete plan.

I know these issues are really minor... but you know how it is, start with small problems, and leave them unresolved and pretty soon the whole thing is a mess.  I want to get these figured out before I get too far.

I've already fixed many issues myself, but these little things are just beating me.

For example, when I to close the gap in the board and batten, the wall shoots through the roof... and changes shape much more than anticipated.

b.JPG

a.JPG

You are getting some solid advice from the guys above.  One more bit that will save you lots of headaches in the future.  DON'T adjust wall heights in elevation mode.  If the wall is not closing in that section there is a reason and something else is causing it to happen.  99% of the time you do not need to adjust a wall top or bottom height.  Try going through and selecting all of your walls>open dbx>Structure tab>Select (first two options) default height for top and bottom of the walls.

Think about it this way and it may help as you try to learn more.  Chief builds rooms which are boxes  Box top gets controlled by roofs (if the roof is 12" higher than that box chief will automatically fill in the gap with "attic walls" so that it models out like you would build it.  Box bottoms are controlled by foundation heights, set your floor default settings how you want them built at least before you build the foundation and second floor or roof (unless you leave auto-roof on the whole time ((another suggestion on using auto-roof as much as you can.   Chief can do very complicated roofs automatically and you don't have to do it all manually as some will recommend.  Let Chief do the work for you.)))

Hope all of that was helpful and understandable.  Best of luck (BTW read up on Copyrights and Architectural design for when you are working with clients.)

• Like 1