Layer sets vs. Saved Plan Views

steve_stuart

I have typically used layer sets to create different "views" in my layout sheet (ie. layer sets for structural changes, cabinets, framing, electrical, etc) but am finally taking some time to look at Saved Plan Views. I may not fully understand how these should be utilized but it seems that the layer sets I have created are doing the same thing as the Saved Plan Views would do? In other words is is worth my time to try to learn how to use the Saved Plan View instead of just switching my layer sets before sending to layout? The only real advantage I have found in using the Saved Plan Views is being able to overlay the As-Built plan on a remodeled plan. If this is a tool that can help my productivity I am way on board to learn it, just seems kind of redundant right now. 

10 minutes ago, steve_stuart said:

In other words is is worth my time to try to learn how to use the Saved Plan View instead of just switching my layer sets before sending to layout?

Yes. Learn it, you'll be glad you did.

Yes take time to learn saved plan views. I am just up ahead of you on this path, and I also at first thought what is the point. Having done things one way for 20 years it is definitely a bit of a change in thought and I am still tweaking things to make more benefit.

I think 'saved plan views' is one of the most important and useful Chief features that has EVER been introduced. I also think they will be leveraged to add even more power in future versions so learning them now will only benefit Chief's basic work flow.

Thanks very much for the thoughts and the screenshot Larry, I have already added those to my toolbars. I am still trying to wrap my head around how the default sets, layer sets, and saved plan views all work together but it is starting to make some sense. I am working through my default sets to link them with the particular plan views I want to associate them with, seems like there are a lot defaults to set but worth the time now to increase productivity later.

I almost wish Chief forced us to use Saved Plan Views. Chief is versatile to a fault. Too many ways to do the same thing. It’s a blessing, but sometimes feels like a curse. The real solution is for me to be more systematic and develop the good habits to keep my plans and workflow organized and coherent but I’m too damn lazy sometimes. 

I guess my old habits are holding me back.
Once a layout file is set up & populated with views, I often return to a project by
opening a layout file. I then move to the plan view sheet & open a view to work on.
Needing to jump from floor to floor & from electrical to framing I forget to NOT
save the plan view. Then end up with layout sheets with wrong views.
Two times I have tried to develop projects using Saved plan View but old habits dye hard.

• Upvote 1

From what I have gleaned over the last couple of days, as far as I can tell this is the process for setting up my template plan to use Saved Plan Views.

1. Create Defaults (dimension, text, call-outs, etc.) for all of the plan views I intend to use in my con docs (As-Built, Demo, Cabinet Layout, Electrical etc.).

2. Edit or create new Default (Annotation) Sets to be used in said plans.

3. Edit or create Saved Plan Views to utilize these specific Default Sets, including assigning a specific Layer Set..

This method will allow me to switch to saved plan views with their corresponding defaults and layer sets to see only what I want to see without having to fool around with changing layers.

Am I on the right path here? All feedback is welcome, as always thank you for your help. 

43 minutes ago, steve_stuart said:

From what I have gleaned over the last couple of days, as far as I can tell this is the process for setting up my template plan to use Saved Plan Views.

1. Create Defaults (dimension, text, call-outs, etc.) for all of the plan views I intend to use in my con docs (As-Built, Demo, Cabinet Layout, Electrical etc.).

3. Edit or create Saved Plan Views to utilize these specific Default Sets, including assigning a specific Layer Set..

This method will allow me to switch to saved plan views with their corresponding defaults and layer sets to see only what I want to see without having to fool around with changing layers.

Am I on the right path here? All feedback is welcome, as always thank you for your help. 

General right path in my opinion but not sure about #2 as Saved Plan Views take advantage of 'Active Defaults' which replace the need for Annotation Sets. Confusing yes, but we can now choose to ignore Anno Sets and simply use the Active Defaults as set up when creating/modifying/editing a Saved Plan View. 

• Upvote 1

Definitely confusing, I guess I will need to look into understanding Active Defaults better. Also, when I am pulling up the Default Sets available in the plan, they are labeled as Annotation Sets (see screenshot). Is this a problem, or perhaps part of my inability to put it all together?

Default or Annotation.PNG

7 minutes ago, steve_stuart said:

I guess I will need to look into understanding Active Defaults better. Also, when I am pulling up the Default Sets available in the plan, they are labeled as Annotation Sets (see screenshot)

You can give those Default Sets any name you want.... the "Annotation" part of the name is just carry-over from when they were called Annotation Sets.  I just leave the names alone, but you can get rid of the 'Annotation' part of the name if you like or call it something completely different.  

1 hour ago, steve_stuart said:

In my opinion, yes, plus you can also assign floor level and zoom if you want, which is also very handy.

I rarely use the floor up/down arrows anymore, almost all of my navigation is through plan views. And it's very efficient once your brain catches on.

21 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

General right path in my opinion but not sure about #2 as Saved Plan Views take advantage of 'Active Defaults' which replace the need for Annotation Sets. Confusing yes, but we can now choose to ignore Anno Sets and simply use the Active Defaults as set up when creating/modifying/editing a Saved Plan View. 

I still use specific layer sets, specific default sets, and specific defaults for each plan view. In my opinion this helps prevent an unwanted and unexpected change to something I didn't want to change. Not sure how easily changing an active default could screw up another plan view, but I'm not taking that chance.

1 hour ago, ACADuser said:

Needing to jump from floor to floor & from electrical to framing I forget to NOT
save the plan view

The way you wrote this I was confused at first...but you're right...it is kind of a natural reaction to SAVE SAVE SAVE... which in the case of Saved Plan Views is usually not what you want to do.

6 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

In my opinion, yes, plus you can also assign floor level and zoom if you want, which is also very handy.

I rarely use the floor up/down arrows anymore, almost all of my navigation is through plan views. And it's very efficient once your brain catches on.

I still use specific layer sets, specific default sets, and specific defaults for each plan view. In my opinion this helps prevent an unwanted and unexpected change to something I didn't want to change. Not sure how easily changing an active default could screw up another plan view, but I'm not taking that chance.

Yeah that strategy is completely understood and I was super cautious at first until I made some bone head changes that weren't a disaster then began to relax and understand the intent behind Saved Plan Views and Anno Sets and the role of active defaults.

...and the active defaults are specific to that plan view so it's hard to screw up another plan view for that reason but stick with what works for you as Chief is already confusing enough.

6 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

The way you wrote this I was confused at first...but you're right...it is kind of a natural reaction to SAVE SAVE SAVE... which in the case of Saved Plan Views is usually not what you want to do.

+1. I would like a preference setting to never ask to save changes to Plan Views.

....off to the suggestion board!

2 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Yeah that strategy is completely understood and I was super cautious at first until I made some bone head changes that weren't a disaster then began to relax and understand the intent behind Saved Plan Views and Anno Sets and the role of active defaults

My brain is having a hard time equating the Active Default part with the plan view that is open. I might just need to learn more about what an Active Default is but if it is the default(s) that are associated with the plan I am working in (the "active" plan), don't I need to set those up with a specific default set, layer set, etc.?

One of the things that use to drive me crazy about Anno and Layer Sets is that they were never floor specific. So I had a Foundation Anno/Layer Set but whenever I'd change to that Set I also had to change to the foundation level to view the Foundation Plan and its associated Anno/Layers. Then back to the Floor Plan Set and would have to then go up a level to the floor plan.

Plan Views now allow floor specific views. FIRST FLOOR PLAN VIEW always shows the first floor plan. SECOND FLOOR PLAN VIEW always shows the second floor. FOUNDATION PLAN VIEW always show the foundation. All the navigation, up, down, specific view can now take place in the Plan Views without ever chaning floors manually or having to save views more than once.

42 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I am confused about where I would go to set up the Active Defaults. If I am in an Electrical Plan View, where do I set up the Active Defaults for that? Why wouldn't I click the pull down and select Electrical Annotations?

Active Defaults, where do I set them.PNG

Electrical Annotations.jpg

5 minutes ago, steve_stuart said:

I am confused about where I would go to set up the Active Defaults. If I am in an Electrical Plan View, where do I set up the Active Defaults for that? Why wouldn't I click the pull down and select Electrical Annotations?

Active Defaults, where do I set them.PNG

Electrical Annotations.jpg

You can absolutely use the Electrical Annotation Set - but you don't have to. That Anno Set can be a part of the active defaults for that Plan View or not. If it is a part of the Saved Plan View and you want it to remain a part of that Saved Plan View then any changes need to occur in that Anno Set. It actually adds an additional step where active defaults covers everything that an Anno set does in that single dialog box.