Ideas on on how to...

mpatalsky

When I start a new project I name it the customers name followed by todays date.  Every day I rename it with a new date.  When I eventually send it to the layout on that date it has that file name of that date.  

My problem is I have to relink the layout with the latest version going forward.  Is there a way to automatically do this and is there an automatic way that it populates a "new revision" using a macro?

Thanks,

Mike

My opinion....wayyyyyyy toooo much work. You make a new file, or change the existing file every time you open a plan? If you are worried about re-capturing older versions after a client changes their mind about having you change something (which they will do), Chief keeps those copies for you in the auto archive. I hate to see people over think the process and create more work and more files, too easy to make a mistake and cost yourself $$ when the mistake gets built.

• Like 1

The ONLY time I make a copy of the file is when I'm sure the customer is asking for a change that probably won't make the final cut. I'll send that to layout separately so I can (more than likely) delete the unused layout boxes if/when the change is axed. If it remains...then I relink the original layout boxes OR I'll rename the NEW file to the original file name, and change the original file name.

2 hours ago, mpatalsky said:

Joey so you just use one file the whole design process?

For the most part..yes. like others have said, if I know the change has little chance of surviving I will "save as" otherwise I only want one file to keep track of.