Deck material won't change - X10

rcmcdougle

I have 3 decks on a project with Alder assigned as the deck plank material. I need to change this to a custom material. I change in the room specification and bot the material tab and the structure tab show deck planks to be the new material, the old material still shows in camera views. When I changed the tread material to the custom material on the 2 exterior stairs to those decks, it shows perfectly.

Thoughts anyone 

1 hour ago, glennw said:

Open the deck's dbx and go to the Deck tab.

Check Automatically Regenerate Deck Framing and see if that does it.

That is interesting and I think that it is something that we many of us can learn from.  Is that typical Glenn from what you have seen

So @glennw if I am manually framing the deck it loses all capabilities to change via the room dbx including material changes so the only way to change the decking for example after the fact would be to use the material painter or to group select all of the planks and change the material?  The Auto-generate framing has to be on to use the dbx controls means I might smell a suggestion coming up, if we have to make changes to the plans after the deck has been adjusted as I for one almost never use the oob framing of the deck.  I usually try to do that towards the end of the design but lots of times customer come back with changes after that point.

5 hours ago, glennw said:

Or...you can paint a material onto the deck boards by using Material Painter Room Mode.

That was my question above.  Sorry probably wasn't very clear:

15 hours ago, rgardner said:

So @glennw if I am manually framing the deck it loses all capabilities to change via the room dbx including material changes so the only way to change the decking for example after the fact would be to use the material painter or to group select all of the planks and change the material?

I guess I don't understand why it would be set that way since when you manually frame a wall you don't lose the ability to make changes to the materials on it?  Correct?  Just seems like an oddity.  I will have to mull that over.