Exterior Images

blueriver

Can someone share with me how to create an image like this?  Of all the buttons in the camera - vector, standard, duo, technical etc, none of them produce a nice clean, clear, plain image like this that I would really like for my construction documents. 

Thank you in advance for your help! 

kp.png

2 hours ago, blueriver said:

Can someone share with me how to create an image like this?  Of all the buttons in the camera - vector, standard, duo, technical etc, none of them produce a nice clean, clear, plain image like this that I would really like for my construction documents. 

kp.png

For clean, simple, crisp looking elevation views that are super easy to set up, I typically use and recommend Plot Lines, using Pattern Line Defaults, Pattern Line Defaults set to gray and a very small line weight, and using Sun Follows Camera.  Here's a quick video...

12 hours ago, blueriver said:

kp.png

I use the same method as Michael describes above, except I stopped using shadows as they were causing confusion with some of the exterior finish subs.

Another difference is I also check "Use Edge Line Defaults" which makes all the edge lines black with consistent weights, regardless of line settings in layers. In other words, leaving that unchecked will cause edge line weight and color settings to be pulled from the settings in the various object's layers.

In your example, neither method would address every type of detail. For instance, using my method the edge lines of the chimney and the gable roof beyond would be black lines. For this, you can use the Edit Layout Lines tool in the layout file to select those lines and change them to gray. A neat trick for selecting multiple lines in layout is to select one line, then hold shift and marquee-select the other lines. (Marquee select doesn't work with this tool unless a line is already selected.)

Another detail that would not be automatic is the random pattern lines representing the brick. You could edit the material's source pattern to get somewhat the same effect but it would still have a repeat pattern that wouldn't be as random as your example. For that you can again use the Edit Layout Lines tool to remove random lines to get that effect.

Finally, the varying thicknesses of the edge lines can again be adjusted by selecting those lines with the same tool, opening them and changing their thicknesses. That said, you may prefer to vary edge line thicknesses by NOT checking Use Edge Line Defaults, and controlling them with layer settings. But in doing so all roof edges would be the same thickness so manually editing in layout would still be required to get the effect in your example.

Just keep in mind that any edits made with the Edit Layout Lines tool will be lost if you ever have to refresh that view, so save that for last.

2 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

except I stopped using shadows as they were causing confusion with some of the exterior finish subs

Disbelief GIFs | TenorI always specify the installation methods and fasteners for shadows to avoid that problem.

• Like 1