Sloping walls, how to get roof to generate correctly

tiggsy

Hi everyone, I'm trying to design a modern house with a sloping walls. I have read other discussions on the topic of sloping walls, and I know I can get the elevations to look correct with p-solids, put I also want to have a hip roof generate above the sloping walls similar to the attached picture. Can anyone help with how I can do this in Chief? Thanks in advance.

modern house sloping hip roof.jpg

There was just a pretty good thread on this within the past month or so.  Try searching for sloped or slanted walls.  It doesn’t go step by step but does help with the basics and theories.

Maybe this will help a little; just remember chief builds “rooms” of everything.  Walls contain what’s inside the room and the roof contains the wall tops.  Floor system the wall bottoms.  Once you set your rooms correctly the missing walls will fill in (in the form of non room defined “attic walls” usually.

Best of luck and post pics.

Direct to your question... you can build a roof over invisible walls and do anything you want with solids to model your sloped walls.  Easiest though will be if you can have 'battered' walls, which slope on the exterior and are vertical on the interior (or could be opposite I suppose)... then build normal walls with windows/doors etc, and put your roof on as normal, then add the sloped solids to the exterior of the wall(s).  If you need them to be sloped both inside and outside then it gets a lot trickier requiring using roof planes or walls turned into symbols and the thread that Ryan refers to above will be a good start.  

• Like 1

Are you wanting actual "sloped" walls, or just walls that are off-angle in a plan view? The pic above appears to have plumb walls but maybe on an odd angle, like Gene pointed out. If it is the roof baseline that is sloped, then yes, that can be done; several discussions in the past on the forum on that method.

Thank you for all the replies, I will try some of these suggestions.

To be clear, (as the picture might just appear sloped) I want sloped walls like the attached, but instead of a shed roof, I want a hipped roof to generate over the sloped walls (I'm not sure if that is even possible), If I use these work-arounds will the hip roof generate correctly, or will I have to do a work around for the roof planes on the sloped walls?

Thank you.

Tammy

Modern house shed roof.jpg

I could be wrong, but I think this is what the OP is after (exaggerated for clarity)...

Hipangle.thumb.jpg.10afbc5559082c94718f6abe7293b210.jpg

Does that look about right?  If so, there is no easy way to do this automatically in Chief.  Manual roof planes only; using either a baseline running at an off angle in plan view, or by using the Baseline Angle in the Roof Plane Specifications.

10 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I think that is the confusion with me - raked walls instead of sloped walls. The walls in the original post may indeed be raked, just hard to tell from that angle.

10 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I could be wrong, but I think this is what the OP is after (exaggerated for clarity)...

It appears that you guys might be right in trying to decipher what the OP is after now that even this second image does not portray sloped walls in the usual sense.
Although OP (Tiggsy) you should know that it is almost a certainty that what appears to be sloping (raked) walls in your first photo are actually normal level topped walls, it is simply showing a strong perspective foreshortening due to use of a wide angle lens.

My apologies, I guess raked walls is what I am referring to, I called that sloped walls. Alaskan_Son you got what I wanted exactly, could you write out a quick guidancew on how you did it, or could i see the plan view you took the image from.

Tammy