stair wall at grade

ChiefuserMathews

11 hours ago, ChiefuserMathews said:

Hello,

I am trying to create a below grade entrance concrete stair as shown in the attached image. My challenge is to stop or terminate the walls on both side of the stair at grade level. How can I achieve that? Any suggestions?

below grade stair wall.jpg

section / elevation view, drag the top of the wall polyline down to 6" above grade. I would not use a room because it is not a room.

In your example, I'd only lower the concrete wall on the right...the wall on the left needs to be tucked under the deck IMO.

17 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I would not use a room because it is not a room.

This kinda made me chuckle Robert... I totally get your drift, but since when is this kind of logic applicable in Chief?  It seems like everything can and will be used as something else in order to get the job done.  :P

20 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I'd only lower the concrete wall on the right...the wall on the left needs to be tucked under the deck IMO.

Yep... Plus you really should have a handrail as per your screenshot.

• Like 1

Just now, DzinEye said:

but since when is this kind of logic applicable in Chief?

For sure, but think of all the bs that comes with a room at the exterior of the structure. So much easier to use a terrain hole, manually set stair height, 2 foundation walls, which I'd probably just use solids for anyhow to avoid dealing with wall connections and so I could control the shape easier and so I could have the footing extend beyond the length of the wall....just spitballing here.

Good luck dealing with the stair-to-retaining wall connection at the top of the stair using an actual 'wall'. Way simpler and more control to probably use a solid for the retaining walls. I don't like fighting with Chief's wall connections and polylines for a case like that, but who knows...sometimes you get lucky and it can work really well.

1 minute ago, ChiefuserMathews said:

Hi Robert, If I use the foundation wall how or where I can set the height of the wall? I dont see that option in dialog box

You have to drag the top down in any 3d view. The most precise control of that is gained in a section view where you can draw a cad line at the exact elevation and drag the wall down to that cad line.

If you want to 'set' the top, tell the wall to be a solid railing wall.

1 minute ago, ChiefuserMathews said:

thanks Robert. I think that will help. Let me try. Thanks again for your valuable suggestions. You guys are awesome.

It'd be great if you've got the time to post your results and a couple of points of how you achieved it. Have fun!

1 hour ago, ChiefuserMathews said:

Robert, as you suggested I tried using the foundation wall and dragged them in 3D view to my required height. That worked. It was great. Thanks for your suggestion. Now how do i bend the handrail at the top of the stair? I don't see an option to do thatBelowGradeStair.thumb.jpg.a9e92ad6df7d4293b8314812e5c672b1.jpg

Hey Wilson, to initiate a reply from another user of the forum, you need to either quote them or tag them. That will send out a notification.

@ChiefuserMathews