Why can't room be determined from window frame?

Christina_Girerd

I want to change all the window and door components in this room to another color.  I tried to save time by using the spray paint tool with "Room" application selected, but I keep getting this "unable to determine room..." dialog.  The alternative it offers me is to change the whole object, but that doesn't work for me as I want the interior white, but need to keep the exterior brown.  I tried clicking on the main part of the door, the door frame, the window frame - they all gave me this dialog.  So I'm having to manually spray paint each component so I only get the interior colors changed. 

At first I spray painted the entire floor to change the color, but just like the "spray paint object" mode, it also changed the exterior window and door color which I did not want.  So I thought I could at least spray by room, and then it would just get the items within the interior of the room, but apparently not.  These are standard Chief doors and window.  I checked this out in a brand new plan and had the same problem.

Am I missing something?  Or is the program not able to distinguish which part of a window or door is in the room and which is "outside" so it gets confused?  But when I spray in component mode, it knows the difference.

This has also got me thinking that maybe we need one more variation of the spray paint modes - between room mode and floor mode - an all interiors mode.  Hmmm...

2020 06 01 Cant figure out room.JPG

44 minutes ago, Christina_Girerd said:

So I'm having to manually spray paint each component so I only get the interior colors changed.

Group select the windows, then group select the materials to be changed. Faster. Also, in plan view...faster.

1 hour ago, Christina_Girerd said:

I want to change all the window and door components in this room to another color.

Change one window to what you want, create a style palette from it. When creating (or in library) open the settings for the style palette and just select those things you want-interior materials etc. You can apply that by room and it works.